2009 - 2014 F-150

Intake Elbow

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 09:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

So you just take the whole snorkel off? Sorry I am an idiot...

Old 10-17-2009, 12:11 AM
Yep just pull it out and leave the hole open.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:20 AM
cool, i will give it a shot today....

Old 10-17-2009, 05:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MrPosi - quick question. Have you travelled on the highway yet with this setup? Does it increase the sound at at a steady70-80 MPH? or does it stay quiet on the hwy?

I would love some extra rumble from the 5.4 but want it silent on the highway like it is in stock form.

Cheers, great mod

Old 10-17-2009, 05:59 PM
it can't be heard at any speed above 20

Old 10-17-2009, 09:04 PM
So is that a 90 with equal length legs and a short piece of pipe or did you have a 90 with one longer leg that you had to sawzall to get that slightly-off angle, which required the middle coupling?

Old 10-19-2009, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by cheef
MrPosi - quick question. Have you travelled on the highway yet with this setup? Does it increase the sound at at a steady70-80 MPH? or does it stay quiet on the hwy?

I would love some extra rumble from the 5.4 but want it silent on the highway like it is in stock form.

Cheers, great mod

Well, I need to some testing but I don't think so. I ended up pulling the pipes off, even eliminated the stock elbow before the throttle body. The SCT tune is causing some resonating that I thought was caused by the intake I put on, but turned out that I can still hear it and feel it with the stock intake track on. I contacted SCT to look into this. With the resonating I am talking about under very low load, on the highway and on the 35mph streets it was annoying enough I took it off. Under WOT and light to heavy load it sounded really good.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:34 AM
With removing the snorkel, does anyone think water would get into the intake any easier?

Old 10-19-2009, 09:40 AM
Originally Posted by statikuz
So is that a 90 with equal length legs and a short piece of pipe or did you have a 90 with one longer leg that you had to sawzall to get that slightly-off angle, which required the middle coupling?
I cut one leg short on the 90deg elbow. I let the middle coupling make the odd angle needed to aling the two peices.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:54 AM
do you have to take the airbox and headlight out to get the snorkel off??

Old 10-19-2009, 11:26 AM
Lets try to keep this on topic this thread is about the pipe being installed not about removing the snorkel.

So to the OP did everything work with this or did you end up taking it off do to the resonating sound?

Old 10-19-2009, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by BigNate
Lets try to keep this on topic this thread is about the pipe being installed not about removing the snorkel.
That's really splitting hairs. The original poster said he removed his filter intake tube and was wondering about modifying the rest of the intake. It makes a lot of sense to discuss modifications in their entire context.

The newer trucks are not engineered like they were in the old days when the engineers would just plop an air cleaner on top of a big carb and call it good. Now experts in fluid dynamics test and model the behavior of the intake tracts, airboxes and any bends and curves necessary for neat packaging, making adjustments along the way to smooth the powerband and increase torque. Those plastic chambers that hang off the intake passage are there to tune undesirable resonances out of the system, not for sound reasons but to increase torque and reduce flat spots in the torque curve.

After the breathing characteristics are tuned for good characteristics, the fuel injection computer and shift programs are fine-tuned to match the engine characterisics for efficiency, power and driving characteristics. If the resonance properties of the intake are changed it can actually reduce the state of tune of the engine, creating flat spots and cause the transmission to shift less than optimally and range can decline.

Because of the complex and often counter-intuitive nature of fluid dynamics (which define how the air intakes perform) modifications that intuitively seem like they would flow more, may not, or may flow much more at certain RPM's/throttle openings and much less at others.

The bottm line is that the intakes should not be modified unless you have clear goals and have the proper measuring tools to benchmark your gains. I have watched too many motorcycle road racers make modifications that they swore up and down were of great benefit and produced more power, only to watch their lap times fall off the edge of a cliff. Sometimes more noise can make it seem like you have more power. If that is your only goal, have at it.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by Real
That's really splitting hairs. The original poster said he removed his filter intake tube and was wondering about modifying the rest of the intake. It makes a lot of sense to discuss modifications in their entire context.

The newer trucks are not engineered like they were in the old days when the engineers would just plop an air cleaner on top of a big carb and call it good. Now experts in fluid dynamics test and model the behavior of the intake tracts, airboxes and any bends and curves necessary for neat packaging, making adjustments along the way to smooth the powerband and increase torque. Those plastic chambers that hang off the intake passage are there to tune undesirable resonances out of the system, not for sound reasons but to increase torque and reduce flat spots in the torque curve.

After the breathing characteristics are tuned for good characteristics, the fuel injection computer and shift programs are fine-tuned to match the engine characterisics for efficiency, power and driving characteristics. If the resonance properties of the intake are changed it can actually reduce the state of tune of the engine, creating flat spots and cause the transmission to shift less than optimally and range can decline.

Because of the complex and often counter-intuitive nature of fluid dynamics (which define how the air intakes perform) modifications that intuitively seem like they would flow more, may not, or may flow much more at certain RPM's/throttle openings and much less at others.

The bottm line is that the intakes should not be modified unless you have clear goals and have the proper measuring tools to benchmark your gains. I have watched too many motorcycle road racers make modifications that they swore up and down were of great benefit and produced more power, only to watch their lap times fall off the edge of a cliff. Sometimes more noise can make it seem like you have more power. If that is your only goal, have at it.

It could also be argued that the engine computer will adjust to these variations from the intake, just like it adjusts to many other factors it compensates for. Reducing intake turbulence caused by the resonators (adding an aftermarket air intake) shows verifiable gains across every platform, from i4's to v8s.

As far as the road racers you're referring to, maybe they do. But theres just too much evidence out there that supports modifying the intake track for performance at the expense of sound dampening.

Just my .02.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:09 PM
Both have good points, but, being an Engineer and having some experience with fluids and fluid mechanics I will tell you that by sustaining laminar flow is ALWAYS better for an intake track pre-TB. There has been a lot of studies and you will see them everywhere in the aftermarket world about "tuned" intake runners. This is because they make the length of the runners to perform optimally at a certain rpm. This is attained by the timing of the "wave" of air as it hits the valve and bounces back, the timing of this wave comes into play when we want it to hit bounce back and forth until the valve opens again, and we want the wave to hit the open valve at a given time.

As far as intake tracks, if done improperly, hands down you could jepordize your performance. On a un-modified engine like mine, and most of ours on this board, flowing little air, creating a more free flowing intake track, (use of larger smoother bends), would be beneficial.

Also, like I mentioned before, the resonating I am hereing was not caused by the intake track, it was caused by the SCT canned tune that I put in. I have wrote SCT and questioned them on this, they have been really helpful to this point. If they choose to not write back and stop helping me, I will either get a custom tune or take it off all together.

If I get time this week/weekend I will put the truck back to stock tune wise and reinstall the my custom intake. I also may go to the dyno this fall with some fellas of mine and may put it on the dyno to verify some other "snorkel" theories and measure to see if my custom intake actually helps or not.

As far as I understand and read, the large reservoirs placed strategically throughout the stock intake track are not "tuning" the truck for performance, but "tuning" the sound out of the intake track to make the motor quieter.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by BigNate

So to the OP did everything work with this or did you end up taking it off do to the resonating sound?
I took the intake stuff back off because it made the resonating from the tune much louder.

Quick Reply: Intake Elbow