2009 - 2014 F-150

Question needs answered please.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 09:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question needs answered please.

I dont really know anything about stereo stuff so hopefully someone here can answer my question. I have a 2009 F150. I have been looking for new speakers and have decided on Polk Audio db571 for front and rear. Crutchfield has them listed at $100 bucks but I see plenty of them on ebay listed for around $60. Crutchfield has a top mount depth listed as 1 3/4 for the speakers on the fitment guide but all the speakers on ebay list the top mount depth as 2 3/16. So my question is this, even though the speakers are 5x7 do they still have different mounting depths for fitment of different cars and trucks? I thought a 5x7 speaker would fit all cars that had 5x7 speakers. So do I need to find a 5x7 speaker with a 1 3/4 mount depth in order to have the right size?

Old 10-18-2009, 10:22 PM
Crutchfield is a great resource for gathering information but I would not purchase from them due to their extremely high prices. I have bought several things off of Ebay much cheaper than crutchfield, just make sure they have a very good feedback rating. The thing about the speakers is the aftermarket ones will have much bigger magnets on them than the stock speakers and may not fit in the stock mount. I havent seen behind the Ford door panels so im not sure how much room there is. In my old Tundra I was able to modify the stock mounting point so the speaker would fit in. You also have to check the depth to make sure your window will clear when going down (not sure if that will be an issue on the F150). The best thing to do is get the speaker specs directly from the manufacturer and then pull off your door panel and see how much room you have. Goodluck

Old 10-18-2009, 10:24 PM
Not all 5x7's are created equal. Some may require more room than others. I've dealt with Crutchfield many times and they know their stuff. When looking for items on their site some will say direct fit and others will say modified fit. The speakers you picked may require some modifications to fit properly. Call their tech line and they can fill you in.
The problem with buying them from ebay is that you will only get the speakers and some generic items to install them, Crutchfield on the other hand will give you everything you need to mount them properly like the right wire connections for you vehicle and instructions on how to remove the door panel which can be very helpful if you don't know how it's attached.

Quick Reply: Question needs answered please.