2009 - 2014 F-150

Man Step...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 01:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man Step...

I love mine!!! I've been using the heck out of the thing and am now not sure how I got along without it!

I ride MX just about every weekend... I typically sit in the bed of my truck to put my gear on. So at the end of the day when it's time to take all my gear off, it's SO easy to step on the man step when I'm tired.

Good job Ford on the "Man Step"

Old 10-26-2009, 01:27 PM
Where are you in North Texas? I live in Rowlett and also ride, though I prefer places like Meunster over MX tracks.

I'm rebuilding my 450R right now, maybe we can hook up for some riding next season...

Old 10-26-2009, 05:50 PM
fjc
I ordered one for my truck. Why hop up onto and down off of the tailgate, when I can step easily.

When that stupid Howie Long commercial was running, and they were making fun of the 'man step,' I thought, "Heck, that's wicked cool, gotta get me one of those."

Old 10-26-2009, 06:21 PM
I'm loving my man step, along with the side steps. Great ideas, Ford.

Last edited by hemigod; 10-26-2009 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Added Picture
Old 10-26-2009, 06:41 PM
Ok guys... I did a quick search, and didn't see it.

I just bought an '09 off of the lot, and it didnt' have the "man step". As I understand it... while one can order & install the side steps on the 6.5 ft bed, the man step on the back is not something one can just add to their existing tailgate by buying the hardware & a new rail cap. So....

Has anyone gotten a quote for a new/replacement tailgate with the man step included?

Just curious what it would cost.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:09 PM
Seems like some like it and don't have it and some have it and don't want it (want flat Tailgate). Look for trade offers in classifieds. Maybe post one. I myself am on the fence - don't really have a need, but it sure seems like a great idea that may come in handy....so am keeping mine even though it makes my bedrug lumpy.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:37 PM
Originally Posted by jhaskin4
Seems like some like it and don't have it and some have it and don't want it (want flat Tailgate).
I have nothing against having a handy step but when I saw how much weight they added to the truck, I knew I didn't want one (reduces payload capacity, slows accelleration, increases fuel burned and brakes used in stop-n-go traffic). Each step might not seem like much but the sum total starts to become significant. Feel the weight difference just between the step/no-step tailgates. It's actually astounding.

The sidesteps are rated to 500 lb. capacity (and can probably safely hold 750-1000 lbs). I thought I was a big guy at 220 lbs. but this means I can have a 250 lb. wench over my shoulder (with 30 lbs. left over for beer) and carry her (and our beer) gently into my truckbed without exceeding it's rated capacity. Since I don't date women that large I guess I don't see the point of all that extra weight. I would have rather seen a small flip-out step that was rated to 320 lbs. or so and weighed less than 10 or 15 extra lbs. 'cause if I'm carrying something heavy enough to exceed that weight rating I'll set it on the tail gate and slide it in, not walk it up a built-in step.

I think it would be cool if there was a re-enforced foot receptacle right in the bodywork (forward of the rear wheel) for a quick step. It could be just large enough to fit a size 14 work boot in, just past the ball of the foot. It could be trimmed out with a high traction plastic "cup" that was built basically flush with the body panel. It would only need to add 5 or 10 lbs. to the truck and would not be large enough to disrupt airflow. I think the under-body steps are not very "clean" in this regard, it's like they were added by the least experienced design engineer as an after thought.

Nothing wrong with having a nice step here and there but it would be nice if the design was a bit more refined.

Trending Topics

Old 10-26-2009, 11:43 PM
ive never used one .. but it seems like a fantastic idea..

Old 10-27-2009, 12:41 AM
Originally Posted by fjc
I ordered one for my truck. Why hop up onto and down off of the tailgate, when I can step easily.

When that stupid Howie Long commercial was running, and they were making fun of the 'man step,' I thought, "Heck, that's wicked cool, gotta get me one of those."

Hi FJC,

How much did it cost you to order one? Also, where did you order it?

Thanks!

Old 10-27-2009, 12:56 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love the step, but hate the handle built into the tailgate. Seems like it will get in the way anytime loading/unloading a heavy load.

Old 10-27-2009, 04:27 AM
Originally Posted by Real

I think it would be cool if there was a re-enforced foot receptacle right in the bodywork (forward of the rear wheel) for a quick step. It could be just large enough to fit a size 14 work boot in, just past the ball of the foot. It could be trimmed out with a high traction plastic "cup" that was built basically flush with the body panel. It would only need to add 5 or 10 lbs. to the truck and would not be large enough to disrupt airflow. .
They used to call this "stepside",
for 2010 the stepside is no longer availavle

A couple of the F150-'s I was considering had the side step, I thought this was real handy...I opted for the only 8' box with a 3V engine instead...so I installed the drivers side "side step" on mine later , It didn't weigh that much.

None of the F150's w/an 8' box had the tail gate step, seems like it would be a nice feature though.

Last edited by joendoodle; 10-27-2009 at 04:32 AM.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:53 AM
Anyone use the Amp-Research 'Bed Step' ?

Old 10-27-2009, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by TX Chris
Where are you in North Texas? I live in Rowlett and also ride, though I prefer places like Meunster over MX tracks.

I'm rebuilding my 450R right now, maybe we can hook up for some riding next season...
I'm in Frisco, not far from you at all. For sure we need to hook up and do some riding.

You need to check out TMX (Texas Motocross Park) out near Texas Motor Speedway... they've got an MX track and several miles of newly opened trails. I haven't been on the trails, but from the pictures I've seen, they look pretty fun. It's only about 30 minutes from my house since they opened up the 121 tollroad going West... shouldn't be too bad for you taking the George Bush tollway to 114. Sure a lot better than +2hrs to Muenster!

Muenster is an incredible place!! Just so far away! I had a few ATV's for a while and would take the family there quite often... they got bored with it after a couple of summers so I got rid of the ATV's and got myself an MX bike.

I'm an old guy and enjoy both MX and trails... I ride for fun and exercise for the most part.

Let me know if you want to check out TMX some time, would be glad to go riding with ya'!

Old 10-27-2009, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by fjc

Ha, yeah the first time I used it when I was out riding a few buddies were giving me grief about my "man step"... I convinced them to give it a try... pretty sure there were a number of converts from GM and Dodge to Ford that day!

Old 10-27-2009, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by dlsipe1
I love the step, but hate the handle built into the tailgate. Seems like it will get in the way anytime loading/unloading a heavy load.
I've not had any issues with the handle being in the way while loading/unloading heavy stuff... it sits flush enough that it doesn't get in the way any more than the gap between the tailgate and the bed would get in the way.

In all honesty, I haven't really used the handle so much... I just pull the step out and step up... over time I'm sure the handle will come in handy though.

Quick Reply: Man Step...