2009 - 2014 F-150

Black screen on Navigation in reverse. New camera

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 07:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Black screen on Navigation in reverse. New camera

I replaced the wire harness in the rear to accept the reverse camera,Installed the camera in the Blue oval took the truck to the dealer to have the unit flashed to accept the camera but I get a black screen when in reverse. I am not getting a signal from the camera. Does this mean that there is no wires in the main loom going from the rear to the front. Has any one had this problem when adding a reverse camera to the 09 Navigation unit?. What kind of connection is there at the head unit? Help

Old 10-27-2009, 08:09 PM
if the truck wasn't built with it, then no there might not be.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:00 PM
You've probably check this already, but just in case... make sure you are plugged in at the tailgate.

When I had my spray in bedliner done they had forgotten to plug the camera back in at the tailgate... when I took it in because the screen was black when I put the truck in reverse I told them I suspected that was the problem... well they went through an hour long diagnostic and came back and said, oh it wasn't plugged in at the tailgate... duh!

Beyond that, I can't offer any help... good luck!

Old 10-28-2009, 12:13 AM
I saw in this other f150 forum someone had a similar problem.

You probably don't have the wiring going from the rear forward for the cam. I have a wiring diagram that might help if you want to try and add it yourself or get a car audio guy to do it.

Last edited by jac4x4; 10-28-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:36 AM
Technical Article Contributor

need to look at where the harness u replaced plugs into the main harness and see if you have the video wires in the main harness. i believe one is red with a yellow stripe. cant remember the other. my 08 didnt have the camera, but the wires were in the main harness so i added the rest and all works good!!!

Quick Reply: Black screen on Navigation in reverse. New camera