2009 - 2014 F-150

My first problem with the F150

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 08:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My first problem with the F150

So I took the dogs to the beach last Saturday morning in the truck. After the dogs ran around for while, I took them back to where I parked, loaded them in and took off. After a 1/2 block I noticed the "Engine Light" was lit. So I pulled over and checked the oil. Oil level is perfect. Got back in and ran a system check. Again everything was fine. Looked in the manual (not very cool- but I was starting to get mad), "Go to your dealer as soon as possible before something bad happens" Sort of." Dealership was not open yet. Ran a vehicle health report and went home...

Logged into syncmyride.com and the report was there. Heald my breath.....

ENGINE, TRANSMISSION & EMISSIONS - Service Required

The icons below may be illuminated in your dash or console or may appear in your message center. The vehicle diagnostics indicate a parameter that is out of normal range or that a component has failed. Systems within your vehicle need prompt service and/or inspection.

MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP - REGULATORY - Urgent

WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Stop the vehicle as soon as safely possible and turn off the engine. Open the fuel filler door and properly re-install the fuel cap, or on a capless system, open the fuel filler door and inspect the fuel fill inlet to ensure it has closed properly.

WARNING: The fuel system may be under pressure. If the fuel filler cap is venting vapor or if you hear a hissing sound, wait until it stops before completely removing the fuel filler cap. Otherwise, fuel may spray out and injure you or others. If the warning stays on or continues to turn on while the vehicle is running, contact your authorized dealer as soon as possible.

Light Stays On: The vehicle will usually be drivable and will not require towing. Refer to On Board Diagnostics (OBD-II) in the Owner's Guide for information on temporary malfunctions that may not require vehicle service.
Light Blinking: Drive in a moderate fashion (avoid heavy acceleration and deceleration) and contact your authorized dealer as soon as possible.

WARNING: Under engine misfire conditions, excessive exhaust temperatures could damage the catalytic converter, the fuel system, interior floor coverings or other vehicle components, possibly causing a fire.

WHAT IS HAPPENING?

The Service Engine Soon light indicates the powertrain control module has detected a fault with the evaporative emission control system.

Light Stays On: Indicates that the On Board Diagnostics System has detected a problem with the engine, transmission or an emission-related component or system.
Light Blinking: Indicates that the On Board Diagnostics System has detected an engine misfire problem with the engine.

WHAT DOES THIS WARNING MEAN?

Service Engine Soon: Solid illumination after the engine is started indicates the On Board Diagnostics System (OBD-II) has detected a malfunction. Refer to On board diagnostics (OBD-II) in the Maintenance and Specifications chapter in the Owner's Guide. If the light is blinking, a gasoline engine misfire is occurring which could damage your catalytic converter. Drive in a moderate fashion (avoid heavy acceleration and deceleration) and contact your authorized dealer as soon as possible.
See your Owner's Guide for additional information.

So, took the truck in and it was a faulty fuel neck filler. They fixed that and the hard shift with a new upload to the power module.

The worst part was I had a Dodge Dakota rental. It pained me to drive it. Harsh ride and tiny.

The good part was it was nice to have a clue going into the dealership with the vehicle health report.

Quick Reply: My first problem with the F150