2009 - 2014 F-150

Reflectors on Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009 | 08:43 PM
|
Reflectors on Mirrors

Hello everyone ! New to the forum. I currently have a 2009 F-150 Lariat Screw ( Black with Camel leather) and also have a 2010 F-150 Lariat Screw in Platinum White with Camel leather and the Chrome pkg. I am trading my Black in because its just to much trouble keeping it clean ( and I demand a clean truck . My idea is to remove the mirrors and install small LED's on the backside of the reflector and wire it into the signal wire on the glass side on mirror for a working signal front and back ( which I still cannot believe Ford didn't do ! ) Any thoughts on this and has anyone tried it ? Thanks

Old 11-04-2009 | 09:39 PM
Nope, but a dang god idea. Hope it would be available as an aftermkt item soon.

Old 11-04-2009 | 09:42 PM
I thought about this the other day. I wonder if you could buy the light bar that is already on the signal mirrors, and rig them up to do as you wanted? If Ford put the ugly orange there, they should have made them turn signals for the front!

Old 11-04-2009 | 10:17 PM
Nice if they were clear and then lit up orange like those stealth chrome bulbs.

Old 11-04-2009 | 10:33 PM
They've had turn signals on the Super Duty mirrors for how long now? Surprised they've never had them on the F150.

Old 11-04-2009 | 10:36 PM
Especially w TT mirrors. Need power fold too!

Old 11-05-2009 | 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by SFCFX4
They've had turn signals on the Super Duty mirrors for how long now? Surprised they've never had them on the F150.
SD has to have lights due to it's width. the F-150 is just narrow enough not to need them.

I know a guy did this over on the GM forum with a 2500HD and their towing mirrors (set up just like the Fords where it's only in the glass). He taped into the system under the hood where the flasher module was, not sure if that would work here. You can but the clear to yellow LEDs at Radio shack. He also stated that he needed to run a resistor, I'll see if I can dig up the article just as something to work with. Wiring is wiring in my opinion, ford, dodge or GM.

LED int Mirror on GM Tow Mirrors

Last edited by MonteCarlo31; 11-05-2009 at 11:23 AM.
Old 11-05-2009 | 04:58 PM
I would pay for an aftermarket upgrade on this as well. I saw a Mercedes in my neighborhood that has lights in that exact location and I love it.

Old 11-05-2009 | 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by sharper4
I would pay for an aftermarket upgrade on this as well. I saw a Mercedes in my neighborhood that has lights in that exact location and I love it.
Not to mention on the higher end benz vehicles the mirrors fold when you lock the doors and walk away.

Old 11-05-2009 | 11:09 PM
Thumbs up

Great idea. And I agree with PowerKid also, would be nice if both front & rear were clear lens w/amber LED's. LED's look and perform much better with clear lens/dome rather than colored/tinted ones. They detract from the true color of an LED, and also affect the light output of an LED as well. Much better to go clear. And of course, another benefit of clear is that it always matches whatever color you chose for your vehicle.

Will never understand the PD's who use colored domes on their LED lightbars, they look like crap when lit, colors muted and mingled, sometimes even creating purple from the reds and blues, makes you think you're witnessing a funeral procession.

Old 11-06-2009 | 12:43 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by BigTRQ
I thought about this the other day. I wonder if you could buy the light bar that is already on the signal mirrors, and rig them up to do as you wanted? If Ford put the ugly orange there, they should have made them turn signals for the front!

^^^THIS.

That is the best idea yet. Order a set of the lights for the blinker in front and take the mirror apart and mount the lights and piggyback onto the existing harness. To go a step further. If you don't like the orange, give the reflector a couple coats of Niteshades.

Old 11-23-2009 | 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by MonteCarlo31
SD has to have lights due to it's width. the F-150 is just narrow enough not to need them.

I know a guy did this over on the GM forum with a 2500HD and their towing mirrors (set up just like the Fords where it's only in the glass). He taped into the system under the hood where the flasher module was, not sure if that would work here. You can but the clear to yellow LEDs at Radio shack. He also stated that he needed to run a resistor, I'll see if I can dig up the article just as something to work with. Wiring is wiring in my opinion, ford, dodge or GM.

LED int Mirror on GM Tow Mirrors
already done about 5 months ago ... i have a 06 but i have 4 amber leds taht flash with the turns in the dividing line in the mirror caps ... as soon as i get my truck back from the body shop ill snap some pics or maybe a movie ... thinking of wiring them into the running lights tho so they stay on with the lights .... best mod that ive done in a while and only cost about 15-20 bucks... 8 leds some wire and resistors, tap them into the back of the turn signal on the back side of the mirror

Old 11-24-2009 | 12:06 AM
|
Yes !! Please post some pics and a brief how to on this please ! Thanks

Old 11-24-2009 | 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by sampson01
already done about 5 months ago ... i have a 06 but i have 4 amber leds taht flash with the turns in the dividing line in the mirror caps ... as soon as i get my truck back from the body shop ill snap some pics or maybe a movie ... thinking of wiring them into the running lights tho so they stay on with the lights .... best mod that ive done in a while and only cost about 15-20 bucks... 8 leds some wire and resistors, tap them into the back of the turn signal on the back side of the mirror
Sampson, I was considering this mod as well and was thinking along your lines...get some leds and a clear lens and tap off the existing (rear side) led power source. I am surprised the aftermarket hasn't come up with this yet! When I first purchased my '09 - I assumed they were front side turn signals and was disappointed when I later learned they were just big dumbo sized orange reflectors

Old 12-08-2009 | 09:42 AM
Was at a parade the other night and one of the law enforcement agencies had strobes installed there. Looked cool.

Quick Reply: Reflectors on Mirrors