2009 - 2014 F-150

XL vs FX4

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 08:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenBuck50
Interesting thread
What he said...

I looked at all the trim levels from the XL to the Platinum even peaked at a HD, anyway found what I wanted and bought it, it just happened to be an FX4.

I would suggest you do the same, if its an XL with some ebay stickers go for it and be on your merry little way.

My two Cents,

FB

Old 11-12-2009, 09:24 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by FireBean
What he said...

I looked at all the trim levels from the XL to the Platinum even peaked at a HD, anyway found what I wanted and bought it, it just happened to be an FX4.

I would suggest you do the same, if its an XL with some ebay stickers go for it and be on your merry little way.

My two Cents,

FB
Thanks.

I will be continuing my investigation into the XL vs Platinum Lariat at the dealer tomorrow. Will the Platinum Lariat live up to the hype or will the XL reign supreme? Stay tuned. There are a lot of questions that remain.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:40 PM
Based on what you've said so far about the FX4 package, you'll hate the Platinum. Sounds like you like things very plain-jane, which the Platinum is not.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:11 PM
Why would you buy FX4 decals for an XL, most guys with the fx are removing them cause their ugly. Good luck with not "hurting your back" with the colum shift compared to the console !!!!

Old 11-12-2009, 11:57 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by mozy
Based on what you've said so far about the FX4 package, you'll hate the Platinum. Sounds like you like things very plain-jane, which the Platinum is not.
That is what I am trying to find out. What is the Platinum? I did not say I like plain jane. I said a loaded XL is just as nice as any truck. Thanks.

Originally Posted by munro200
Why would you buy FX4 decals for an XL, most guys with the fx are removing them cause their ugly. Good luck with not "hurting your back" with the colum shift compared to the console !!!!
Why not? My friend has a Mustang V6 with GT emblems on it and nobody can tell the difference. If I am going to spend $30k on a truck I will do the same. If I get get the FX4 emblems, they are going on too. If anybody selling their decals I am interested.

I have a bad back and prefer to use a column shifter. I have lay down when I go to shave. I just had back surgery. That is why I am going to look at the Platinum Lariat tomorrow. They are supposed to be more comfortable and have more cushions or something. We will see.

Last edited by RedRobin51; 11-13-2009 at 12:00 AM.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:10 AM
Sounds like you are just here to rock the boat red. I'll be your huckleberry.

1. You can't re use decals.
2. Why are you shopping for a supercrew if you are the only one riding?
3. The grills on an XL and FX4 are not the same. Look closer.
4. Chrome's cool, but not for everyone. There is protective film available for painted bumpers.
5. Just built an XL 4x4 crew on fordvehicles.com. Base price with NO options is 32,875. If you found one for 28k minus 10k, you should buy that tomorrow and sell it on ebay or craigslist for a profit. You can shave 500 off if you go with a non-limited slip 3.55 rear end, but the FX4 has a 3.73.
6. Pickuptrucks.com mentioned in their review of the 2009 F150 that the Fx4 has a different frame to allow for greater ground clearance... I haven't verified that, but it's worth noting as a possible difference between FX4 and other trim levels.
7. I have had 5 F150s with leather seats. Including a King Ranch. You won't find a finer leather than King Ranch branded leather in an American car or truck. Ford puts great leather in their trucks. Treat it right and it will treat you right.

An XL MIGHT offer a higher payload due to less options, but not according to fordvehicles.com. The base XL I just built only had a 1390 lb. MAX payload. Many FX4s on this site have that same amount of payload.

Good luck on your truck search. There are many knowledgeable and friendly folks on this site, don't shoot them all.

Old 11-13-2009, 12:14 AM
One more thing. If you can't determine the difference between a XL and a Platinum, Lariat, or King Ranch, consider yourself lucky. You are one of the few with the ability to see a half full glass. Many of us would be much richer if we were capable of that.

Old 11-13-2009, 12:21 AM
Red Robin, you are not very well informed. If you buy an xl and put fx4 stickers on it a lot of people will know the difference. I would be able to pick it out instantly and I think its idiotic to label a vehicle something that it is not. There are many differences between the two trucks which im not going to take the time to list because you have obviously already made up your mind. Saying you dont want the floor shifter (optional on the fx4) because it hurts your back is one of the dumbest things ive ever heard.

Old 11-13-2009, 12:39 AM
Just go buy a XL, sounds like you made up your mind before you even started this post.

Also, and I " " Why not? My friend has a Mustang V6 with GT emblems on it and nobody can tell the difference.
We all can tell... We are the one pointing & laughing..

Last edited by gp1300r; 11-13-2009 at 12:48 AM. Reason: add
Old 11-13-2009, 12:50 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by johnyb777
Sounds like you are just here to rock the boat red. I'll be your huckleberry.

1. You can't re use decals.
2. Why are you shopping for a supercrew if you are the only one riding?
3. The grills on an XL and FX4 are not the same. Look closer.
4. Chrome's cool, but not for everyone. There is protective film available for painted bumpers.
5. Just built an XL 4x4 crew on fordvehicles.com. Base price with NO options is 32,875. If you found one for 28k minus 10k, you should buy that tomorrow and sell it on ebay or craigslist for a profit. You can shave 500 off if you go with a non-limited slip 3.55 rear end, but the FX4 has a 3.73

An XL MIGHT offer a higher payload due to less options, but not according to fordvehicles.com. The base XL I just built only had a 1390 lb. MAX payload. Many FX4s on this site have that same amount of payload.

Good luck on your truck search. There are many knowledgeable and friendly folks on this site, don't shoot them all.
Thanks. I just built a base FX4 is $38,900k. So that is $6k more for a floor console and some FX4 sticker? That is what I am trying to find out. The grille can be painted cheaply. Many guys have gotten awesome payload with their XL. I have read that the FX4 is more common because Ford figures people will buy the FX4 over a XL if they right next to each other and they can get more money for options people will only use once in a lifetime of a truck, and there by getting an extra $6000 out of every customer for the same truck. Nonsense. Not everyone wants to spend $6k on a floor console and FX4 sticker. I am not plain jane. I think I can add the FX4 sticker and grille for less than $6k.

Last edited by RedRobin51; 11-13-2009 at 01:00 AM.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:58 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by austinbF150
Red Robin, you are not very well informed. If you buy an xl and put fx4 stickers on it a lot of people will know the difference. I would be able to pick it out instantly and I think its idiotic to label a vehicle something that it is not. There are many differences between the two trucks which im not going to take the time to list because you have obviously already made up your mind. Saying you dont want the floor shifter (optional on the fx4) because it hurts your back is one of the dumbest things ive ever heard.
You are not very well informed either my friend. I just built a FX4 and there is no way around the floor console shifter for 2010. Maybe 6 years ago things were different. I am just trying to find out where this money is going for the FX4. I read on the forum that it is just a sticker? I am going tomorrow to look at the Lariat Platinum and see if they are up to snuff. Maybe I will drive home in one. Also I want a supercrew for the storage. I do not have to have people in it to drive a supercrew. I must go to bed now. I want to get to the dealer early before any of them sell. I was looking at the XL last night and I could not see anything because it was dark out. The XL looked just as good as the XLT and FX4s I saw from as much as I could tell. Maybe the daylight will change my thinking. Thanks.

Old 11-13-2009, 01:14 AM
Holy crap this is one of the funniest threads I have ever read!

Old 11-13-2009, 04:04 AM
In essence an XL is the same as a Platinum... get what works for you. I don't see the point in buying extras that aren't worth it for the buyer.

Don't put FX4 badges on though... be proud of whatever you get. People on this site told me to put XLT badges on my XL. I'm proud that it is an XL with all of the mods I have done.

Nothing wrong with eBay deals... part of my living actually comes from eBay to the tune of $1000 a month.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:04 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RedRobin51
I am not trying to be a smartazz but I can make a XL just as comfortable and nice as a FX4 for a couple hundred dollars. I have seen it done.
You're telling me you can replace the 40/20/40 bench seat with two powered, heated/cooled, captains chairs for a couple hundred? More power to ya pal.

The console shifter makes you reach down to shift and it takes up more room. When the shifter is on the steering wheel it means I do not have to reach as far and hurt my back.
What are you, 4' tall? You don't have to reach anywhere. I often rest my right hand on the shifter as I drive (reminds me of when I drove a manual).

It is more comfortable this way, and I can take another person with me if I want to without the console shifter taking up a seat.
That's what the back seat is for. I don't want to have to cram in like sardines in a tin! But it's obvious that you and I are very different.

Would you want better gas mileage or heated seats? I will take the better gas mileage.
I like heated seats myself. I'm not concerned with gas mileage, at all. If I did I wouldn't have my 93 octane performance tune, true dual exhaust with flowmasters, big tires, big wheels, etc.

The 4.6 does everything for my needs.
That's great, that's why Ford gives people the options to choose what's best for them.

Moon roofs are not important to me. I want a truck! I do not need adjustable pedals. I am not short and can reach the pedals just fine. Thanks.
But you have to lean over to reach the flow thru shifter? As I've said, it's clear you don't care about comfort or luxury, which is fine. But there is no need for the attitude you have. Maybe your wife will drive it and need to adjust the seat/pedals so she can reach. I kinda doubt you're married though.

The outside is just some FX4 stickers. If I get the XL the FX4 stickers are going on.
That's what we call being a poser. Hi poser

Dude, Most of that stuff you can live without for the right price at the dealer. My friend said I can get about 10k off for about 30% off at the dealer.
Again, you're cheap, that's fine. Some of us would rather pay to have the luxuries the FX4, Lariat, Platinum, etc, offer. Does your friend work at the dealer? If not, it doesn't matter what he says, you'd better see what the dealership's really going to offer.

Why do I need dual climate if I am the only one driving?
You're never going to have a passenger? I thought you couldn't have the center shifter because it would take up a place where someone could sit. Now you're the only one in the truck? You make my brain hurt.

XL has the fog lights and power everything.
Really? I saw the fog lights as a $300 (if I recall correctly) option. And XLs do not have power windows, locks, etc (unless you get a supercrew = $$). If you meant power steering and brakes, then yes, I assume XLs have that.

Appearance package? It has the same grille as the FX4 and I can just paint the front end cheaply. The loaded XL has chrome bumpers and fogs and the FX4 has painted bumpers that will have dozens of chips on them after a few miles. Chrome or go home.
Ok, here's my truck after 35,000 miles, maybe more. Let me know where the dozens of paint chips are? Chrome is old.

Offroad shocks? I heard they were the same or only a little bit different.
I guess that difference is what makes them... different?

Leather and carpet that the XL doesnt have? The XL has carpet if you want it. It is only $100 option. If I want leather I can add it a lot cheaper than at the dealer like a lot of people do. Leather looks great at the start but after a year it starts to look like crap. The XL interior will hold up better in the long run.
Here's a list of some items available on the FX4 that are not even offered on the XL:

- Leather (or cloth) Bucket Seats
- Heated, 10-way power front driver and passenger seats
- Body color painted door handles with keyless entry pad
- dual-zone electronic temp control
- Leather wrapped steering wheel
- Steering wheel mounted audio controls
- power adjustable pedals with memory
- heated, power side mirrors with turn signals and body color skull caps
- Auto dimming rearview mirror with microphone
- Reverse sensing system
- Rearview camera
- Keyless entry (FOB)
- 700W Sony 6 disc, in-dash MP3/CD player with subwoofer
- power sliding rear window with defrost and security tint
- power windows and locks (XL can have it on the SuperCrew only)
- 18" or 20" wheels
- SYNC
- SIRIUS Radio
- 3.73 Electronic Locking Differential Axel
- Two-tone paint
- Interior front map lights
- outside temp and compass
- Power moonroof

I'm probably missing some, but I'm tired of making the list.

If you don't take care of you things, anything can look like crap in a year. I know many members here who have King Ranch's, Lariats, etc with leather and their interiors are immaculate.

Oh yeah, I can't get Ford's website to accept a build and price XL, SuperCrew, 4x4 with the 5.4L. The closest I can get is with the 4.6L which brings the base price of the XL to $34K. Don't forget to tack on $450 for cruise control on the XL too.

Hundreds of creature features? Well where are they? The only thing left is the FX4 stickers.
See above.

That is what I am trying to find out. What is the Platinum? I did not say I like plain jane. I said a loaded XL is just as nice as any truck. Thanks.
You came here with your mind already made up. Even if you love the Platinum you'll just come back complaining how expensive it is and how you can make your XL exactly like the Platinum for free cuz you're just that good.

Why not? My friend has a Mustang V6 with GT emblems on it and nobody can tell the difference.
Believe me, people who know better can tell the difference. Let me ask you a question, why does your friend feel the need to advertise a lie? Are they so insecure that they feel the need to lie to people about the things they own? It's pretty sad really.

If I am going to spend $30k on a truck I will do the same. If I get get the FX4 emblems, they are going on too. If anybody selling their decals I am interested.
If it makes feel like a big man, go ahead. The rest of us will point and laugh if we see you drive by.

I have a bad back and prefer to use a column shifter. I have lay down when I go to shave. I just had back surgery. That is why I am going to look at the Platinum Lariat tomorrow. They are supposed to be more comfortable and have more cushions or something. We will see.
Sorry to hear that. Here's to a speedy recovery I wouldn't waste your money on a Platinum though, after all, you can just make your XL even better yourself.

So that is $6k more for a floor console and some FX4 sticker? That is what I am trying to find out.
See further above.

I read on the forum that it is just a sticker?
Where did anyone say that? They obviously didn't know what they were talking about.

- NCSU

Last edited by NCSU_05_FX4; 11-13-2009 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:37 PM
Very well said NCSU

This thread cracks me up

Originally Posted by NCSU_05_FX4

Where did anyone say that? They obviously didn't know what they were talking about.

- NCSU
^^ He read it in his own post on page 1 of this thread

Quick Reply: XL vs FX4