2009 - 2014 F-150

XL vs FX4

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 01:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The way I interpret this thread is that the OP either has a limit of 30k to spend on a truck and wants to justify that by saying "its as good as an FX4" and refuses to listen to knowledgeable people as to why that reasoning is flawed; or he simply wants to fill us all with his vastly more astute observations (albeit incorrect) that all F150's are just sticker packages tacked onto an XL in an evil attempt by Ford to sell people nicer trucks for more money.
I can see what your "report" back to us on the Lariat or maybe the Platinum about how they're just leather added to an XL and you can get everything you need on an XL and then spend 35.00 at the local tannery and put you own leather in over some pillows you bought at JC penny and you will have cushioned leather thats even better than the factory.

Last edited by 50Ford500; 11-14-2009 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 02:29 PM
NCSU- you da man.

Honestly, how could someone be comparing an XL and an FX4..that just makes no sense to me and thinking you could make an XL look like an FX4 with a couple hundred dollars is a joke. And now you are looking at a platinum? I really don't understand how much you are willing to spend or what you are looking to get out of your truck. If you think heated seats and luxury additions are useless, then don't look and further than an XL since all you need apparently is stickers to make them look like it is a better trim level than it actually is.

Old 11-14-2009, 04:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by savage02
Holy crap this is one of the funniest threads I have ever read!
x2!

Old 11-14-2009, 04:49 PM
Why stop at just a fake FX4, you might as well go all out and just get some Harley Davidson stickers and get the most bang for your buck.

Old 11-14-2009, 05:06 PM
wow this thread is an epic fail. i thought it was real funny that he said he didn't like the console shifter cause it hurt his back, lol it's closer than the column shift. also don't just put fx4 stickers on it just because you are gonna pay 30k for the truck. if you want fx4 stickers then pay the extra 4k and get one.

oh and i have had my painted bumpers for about 46k miles on my FX4 with no chips whatsoever.

Old 11-14-2009, 05:11 PM
Still waiting to hear about the Platinum vs. XL comparison.

Tick

Tock

Tick

Tock

Tick

Old 11-14-2009, 10:41 PM
I went through this decidion a few months ago. I decided on the Fx4 mostly because I really wanted the center console shift and 5.4. In terms of cost my research (and I did alot of it) was that you can realistically expect to take 22-23% off MSRP on any model. So saying 10k off a 30k truck...well you do the math (not possible) unless you take some ridiculous interest rate. They might for 12 or 15% interest and the finance arm makes the points.

Bottom line there is NO WAY you can make it an FX4 for a few hundred bucks

4.6 to 5.4 considerable difference
Rims - more than a few hundred bucks
skids plates
fog lights
running boards
console - I prefer it
power option package (seats etc)
shocks/springs etc.
Higher tow rating
etc

I am sure there are more but if you add all these up it is more than a few hundred bucks. Buy what you like, but thinking there is a 25k difference is a joke.

Bottom line

XL MSRP 32k take 22% off
FX4 MRSP 40k or so take 22% off

and there is your difference in price. Now decide which works for you and be done with it.

Old 11-15-2009, 12:24 AM
Sounds like you have it all figured out. We can all learn a great deal from you. Any more advice you would like to pass on?

Old 11-15-2009, 12:44 AM
i can't get enough!!!

Old 11-15-2009, 03:56 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by GreenBuck50
In essence an XL is the same as a Platinum... I don't see the point in buying extras that aren't worth it

Nothing wrong with eBay deals...
True. That's what I'm talking about.

Originally Posted by NCSU_05_FX4
I like heated seats myself. I'm not concerned with gas mileage, at all.

That's what we call being a poser. Hi poser

- NCSU
Keep telling yourself that when gas goes up to $5 a gallon again. Is that a manicure you have also? Heated seats are not included in the base FX4 we are comparing to the loaded XL but good luck with that. Thanks.

Originally Posted by 50Ford500
The way I interpret this thread is that the OP either has a limit of 30k to spend on a truck and wants to justify that by saying "its as good as an FX4" and refuses to listen to knowledgeable people as to why that reasoning is flawed; or he simply wants to fill us all with his vastly more astute observations (albeit incorrect) that all F150's are just sticker packages tacked onto an XL in an evil attempt by Ford to sell people nicer trucks for more money.
You got me. I have read on this very forum that Ford puts the FX4 XLT and Platinums next to the XL and people will choose the FX4 and XLT because it looks nicer but will include a bunch of options nobody will use but once in their lifetime. It is just a game because you can add what you need for cheaper than at the dealer. Buy what you need. Thanks.

Originally Posted by triton5.4FX4
If you think heated seats and luxury additions are useless, then don't look and further than an XL since all you need apparently is stickers to make them look like it is a better trim level than it actually is.
Don't hate the player. Hate the game. I have checked into it and they want $8k more for the floor console and FX4 stickers and a couple options nobody really needs and can live without for the right price reduction. This is the game they play. But guys like GreenBuck50 and I have changed the game. Buy what you need and then do the installs yourself for cheaper than at the dealer.

Originally Posted by dilloncawthon
also don't just put fx4 stickers on it just because you are gonna pay 30k for the truck. if you want fx4 stickers then pay the extra 4k and get one.

oh and i have had my painted bumpers for about 46k miles on my FX4 with no chips whatsoever.
Why? I am not saying I will put the sticker on but if I can get a sticker for $25, why pay $4,000 for one? You make no sense and are are just mad about eBay deals. Check the painted bumper thread that was just posted about the chips and rust. Thanks.

Originally Posted by rbig18
Bottom line there is NO WAY you can make it an FX4 for a few hundred bucks

4.6 to 5.4 considerable difference
Rims - more than a few hundred bucks
skids plates
fog lights
running boards
console - I prefer it
power option package (seats etc)
shocks/springs etc.
Higher tow rating
etc

I am sure there are more but if you add all these up it is more than a few hundred bucks. Buy what you like, but thinking there is a 25k difference is a joke.

Bottom line

XL MSRP 32k take 22% off
FX4 MRSP 40k or so take 22% off

and there is your difference in price. Now decide which works for you and be done with it.
4.6 to 5.4 considerable difference in fuel economy and the 4.6 meets my needs
Rims - more than a few hundred bucks. i can take the ones from a friend or use some of the money I save and get a deal on ebay and still be a few thousand bucks ahead
skids plates, fog lights, running boards are already included in the XL price quote
console - I prefer the column shifter. you say tomata. i say tomato. buy what works for you.
power option package (seats etc) XL has power everything. the seat just has to be moved once when you first get it. I will move it myself for $8000. in savings.
shocks/springs etc. XL has shocks and springs.
Higher tow rating - 4.6 does everything for my needs and I have never had a problem towing. buy what you need. Thanks.
etc

My bottom line is where is the $6 to $20k extra coming from? Floor console and sticker? How much is that work? I am trying to find out. I did not get to the dealer yet to look at the Platinum Lariat. I will on Monday because they are closed on Sunday and I got off work the other day and it was dark out. I got to the dealer again and I couldnt see a darn thing because it was so dark out but the XL looked just as good as any XLt or FX4 I saw. It gets dark now at 5 o'clock. I have to remember that. Thanks.

Last edited by RedRobin51; 11-15-2009 at 04:18 AM.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:00 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Wes28376
Sounds like you have it all figured out. We can all learn a great deal from you. Any more advice you would like to pass on?
Honestly I do not have it figured out. That is what I am trying to find out. I am going back to the dealer on Monday to talk to someone and get this figured out. My advice is don't let another dude step in your yard. Buy what you need.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOdM0dTJKPw

i go the hardest
flow so retard
i'm disgusted with myself
i mean ughh were do i start
first i stand around and vomit
then i get up on it
get the beat up so bad
won't no body get up on it
i flow so sick
dude how sick
sea sick
got ur hand out dont look at me dude
you lookin at who made me rich
i have some wins some losses
just a life of a god darn boss's
with the top off lookin for a girl with a bod as fat as tracey ross's
this is dope as is get
dope as a mother truckin acid trip
fly as 57 passenges
this finna be another classic dude
everybody know i got if you want it then get at it
but i aint gon have
no i aint gon have it

If you could you would get rid of me
what you gonna do when a dude got to go hard
but i wont let you get to me
you should already figure imma go hard
if you were as real as me
you would never let another dude step in yo yard
makin money aint shoot to me
this in my veins and it gets to my heart
so i am, i will , i gots to go
you got another way to live you gots to go on
i am gettin it in until the end i got to go, go, go , go hard

[kayne]
i aint never been scurred
never been a type to bite my words
when i came up y'all gave me shoot
now im finna make y'all eat them terds
always said what the frick i felt
gon head spit that murder i wrote
man i dont care what you felt i kno im dope
dope like im comin to get my all
felt like i had to play the fly on the wall
felt like dudes was stuntin on me
funny how im flyer then them all
now im at the top aint no where to go now
instead of me she gon go down
maybe i would of slowed down if i knew what i knew now
im stupid i know im dumb
it cud get friggen old but its good im young
but my heart get cold as the hood im from
tell me what it take to be numba one
i guess its gon be what its gon be
but heres one thing you got to hear
imma tell you like a friend told me
xl can be just as nice as any xlt, fx4,
an xl is essentially a plantinum
im out of here

Last edited by RedRobin51; 11-15-2009 at 04:42 AM.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:37 AM
Originally Posted by RedRobin51
Honestly I do not have it figured out. That is what I am trying to find out. I am going back to the dealer on Monday to talk to someone and get this figured out. My advice is don't let another dude step in your yard. Buy what you need.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOdM0dTJKPw

i go the hardest
flow so retard
i'm disgusted with myself
i mean ughh were do i start
first i stand around and vomit
then i get up on it
get the beat up so bad
won't no body get up on it
i flow so sick
dude how sick
sea sick
got ur hand out dont look at me dude
i have some wins some losses
just a life of a god darn boss's
with the top off lookin for a girl with a bod as fat as tracey ross's
this is dope as is get
dope as a mother truckin acid trip
fly as 57 passenges
this finna be another classic dude
everybody know i got if you want it then get at it
but i aint gon have
no i aint gon have it

If you could you would get rid of me
what you gonna do when a dude got to go hard
but i wont let you get to me
you should already figure imma go hard
if you were as real as me
you would never let another dude step in yo yard
makin money aint shoot to me
this in my veins and it gets to my heart
so i am, i will , i gots to go
you got another way to live you gots to go on
i am gettin it in until the end i got to go, go, go , go hard

[kayne]
i aint never been scurred
never been a type to bite my words
when i came up y'all gave me shoot
now im finna make y'all eat them terds
always said what the frick i felt
gon head spit that murder i wrote
man i dont care what you felt i kno im dope
dope like im comin to get my all
felt like i had to play the fly on the wall
felt like dudes was stuntin on me
funny how im flyer then them all
now im at the top aint no where to go now
instead of me she gon go down
maybe i would of slowed down if i knew what i knew now
im stupid i know im dumb
it cud get friggen old but its good im young
but my heart get cold as the hood im from
tell me what it take to be numba one
i guess its gon be what its gon be
but heres one thing you got to hear
imma tell you like a friend told me
xl can be just as nice as any xlt, fx4,
an xl is essentially a plantinum
im out of here
WTF is this?

Old 11-15-2009, 09:02 AM
Buy what you need. If an XL with some factory options and some aftermarket customizations does it for you, then that's great.

I still don't see how a dealer can give you 1/3 off the sticker price of a new XL, so by all means if you can get such a deal then grab it.

I've owned F-150's for many years, including the XL model powered by the 4.9L 6 cylinder. I can tell you that there are discernable levels of comfort and practicality in the various model offerings. I can't tell you what those differences are worth to you. The XL is a great truck. It gets the job done. If that's all you want/need, go for it.

Attitude is everything in today's world. Disparaging other people because they place higher value on comfort, luxury, and gizmos than you do is not going to make you many friends out there. Accept your own view of the world from your angle. Accept other people's view from theirs. Our way of life is about having choices. Ford offers us choices. We choose the ones we want. We don't live in a Communistic society where our choices are made for us and where if you're not the lead dog the view never changes.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:48 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, either you have been yanking our chain this whole time or you are one of the most ignorant and downright stupid people I've seen around here.

.Keep telling yourself that when gas goes up to $5 a gallon again. Is that a manicure you have also? Heated seats are not included in the base FX4 we are comparing to the loaded XL but good luck with that. Thanks.
$5 a gallon would not phase me. Gas could jump to $10 tomorow and I'd be fine. I wouldn't like it, but I can afford it. Sorry, no manicure here, I spend too much time working underwater. The list I gave earlier was list of thing that the FX4 OFFERS that you CANNOT get on an XL at all. Learn to read, that's probably part of the reason you're having such a hard time understanding the differences.

... Ford puts the FX4 XLT and Platinums next to the XL and people will choose the FX4 and XLT because it looks nicer but will include a bunch of options nobody will use but once in their lifetime. It is just a game because you can add what you need for cheaper than at the dealer. Buy what you need. Thanks.
who the hell are you to tell us what options we'll never use but once? Some people can afford to spend more, and will, to have nicer things on their vehicles direct from the factory because the time it would take to fix up an XL to the level of an FX4 is worth more than the difference in the dealer price. Can you understand that? An XL might be great for some people, while others prefer more. Nobody is saying "don't buy an XL, those suck!". We're trying to explain the differences in trim. Your mind is made up and I doubt anything anyone says will change it.

Don't hate the player. Hate the game.
Nobody hates you, nobody really likes you either though.

I have checked into it and they want $8k more for the floor console and FX4 stickers and a couple options nobody really needs and can live without for the right price reduction. This is the game they play. But guys like GreenBuck50 and I have changed the game. Buy what you need and then do the installs yourself for cheaper than at the dealer.
Again, who made you the authority on who needs what options? You haven't changed a thing, except more people are laughing at you now than before you showed up.

The key difference is you are cheap. Some people are willing to spend more to get what they want, and there is nothing wrong with that. There's nothing wrong with being cheap either. Just call it as it is, don't say ridiculous things like "all f-150s are the same except for stickers."

Why? I am not saying I will put the sticker on but if I can get a sticker for $25, why pay $4,000 for one? You make no sense and are are just mad about eBay deals. Check the painted bumper thread that was just posted about the chips and rust. Thanks.
Keep up with that kind of attitude, you're sure to go far.

As for paint chips, look back at my pic, show me the chips. Just because someone had a problem doesn't mean everyone will. The spark plug issue is a prime example, but you probably don't know what that is.

4.6 does everything for my needs and I have never had a problem towing. buy what you need. Thanks.
again, nobody dissagrees with a "buy what you need" mentality, but don't make up lies to convince yourself that all the trim levels are the same. You've been told the differences, now either buy a truck or move on.

My bottom line is where is the $6 to $20k extra coming from? Floor console and sticker?
. Have you even looked at the sheet from Fords website that lists all the differences between trim levels? I already know the answer to that question, otherwise you wouldn't keep saying the same stupid things over and over.

...because they are closed on Sunday and I got off work the other day and it was dark out. I got to the dealer again and I couldnt see a darn thing because it was so dark out but the XL looked just as good as any XLt or FX4 I saw. It gets dark now at 5 o'clock. I have to remember that. Thanks.
Wait, wait, wait... It was dark out and you "couldn't see a darn thing" but the "XL looked as good as any XLT or FX4"? You've got some problems buddy.

Oh yeah, quit saying "thanks", we know you don't mean it and it comes off as condescending and arrogant.

-NCSU

Last edited by NCSU_05_FX4; 11-15-2009 at 09:54 AM.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ibcop
WTF is this?
I'm guessing the OP was smoking crack.

- NCSU

Quick Reply: XL vs FX4