2009 - 2014 F-150

XL vs FX4

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 09:58 PM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NCSU_05_FX4

I know I said I'd move on, but this guy is too much

I thought you said you needed the steering wheel shifter because your back hurt when using the flow-thru? If you're going to be all healed up in a few weeks that shouldn't be a major factor in your decision then right? You just need to justify your decision to go cheap, so you blame it on your back?

- NCSU
That is one point I made. I have not sat in one with a floor shifter yet. I will let you know how my back feels when I sit in one. It could work for me or it might not work for me. Buy what works for you. But I think I like the column shifter better overall because it takes up less space. Does it have storage? I don't even know what it looks or feels like yet. So just hold onto your hat before you start getting mad at me again. Cheap is relative because a PLATINUM IS ESSENTIALLY AN XL, at least that is what I was told. I do not know if it is true or not. Buy what you need. Buy what works for YOU!

Keep talking. I have not made up my mind yet. If it is only a few thousand difference like you claim I may go for the Platinum FX4 package. I am not sorry for the manicure comment. You have been a real jerk to me and started calling me names because I said I don't really know a lot about the different packages yet and wanted to look for eBay deals. There is nothing wrong with ebay deals. What I do know is to buy what you need and that is all I am trying to say. Thanks.

I have to go to lay down. My back is killing me.

Last edited by RedRobin51; 11-15-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by bluegreenf150
NCSU_05_FX4 and others,
Don't even waste your time. I have seen three of these type of threads recently from XL buyers. They act like they want to know the differences between XLTs FX4s and Platinums and whatever other trim level, but really they are just here to persuade you that the XL is the truck to buy so they can feel better about their own purchase. Saying they do not know what they are talking about or showing them facts is just going to get them to repeat themselves over an over.

In the other thread I had some guy tell me that I should buy what I need. Ok. That may sound nice, but that is after he spent the whole time trashing trucks that has something he does not "need" or have. The "XL and XLT FX4 right next to each and people buying the FX4 and XLT because they are right next to the XL argument" and Ford rips people off for options people "will use only once" is bogus. People buy the higher trim levels because they are a good deal and you cannot add all of the options they have for less. None of this matters to them. They will tell you they can add it, and what they cant add "you don't really need." The dollars involved do not matter. What matters to them is whatever options you have, they dont need and what they do need they have already. You cannot teach them anything because they know everything. You can call out their lies and say they are being hypocrites (ie rims, interiors, exteriors, etc can be changed yes, but at a higher cost and thus defeating the purpose of why they said they were going with the base model to begin with), it doesn't matter. Sand bags? Last time I heard that argument was when someone was trying to convince themselves they could drive threw snowy upstate NY in 2wd and some sand bags and they didn't need 4wheel drive. Bogus. The "it is just as good" or it is not needed is another bogus argument to make them feel better. No one knows more than they do in their opinion. And that is what this all about, their opinion. Not the actual differences and costs between the trim levels. It is really annoying but we all know people like this.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:33 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Is that coffee decaf?

Old 11-15-2009, 11:52 PM
Red,

Most of the people who have posted in this thread have taken the time to pass on knowledge about a product you are about to spend $30,000+ on. Their knowledge comes with experience and personal opinion. Just because you may not agree with their opinion doesn't mean you need to call them out on it. Appreciate that they took the time and move on. Don't be a ****.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:02 AM
Originally Posted by RedRobin51
I have to go to lay down. My back is killing me.
You said that earlier at 4:55:

I have go to lay down now because my back is hurting.
You should probably just stay in bed.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:20 AM
Dude, You don't know me. I never trashed anyone's truck. All I said was buy what you need. If you need the heated manicure package, buy it. If you want a sticker and a shifter on the floor inside of the steering wheel for $6000 extra, buy it. I don't have a problem with that. Buy what works for YOU!
why do you feel the need to only say that you're paying for a sticker?
lets see
electronic locker- about a grand if you install it on your XL
5.4l engine- you are already over that 6k you said if you try to swap for one of these in your XL
painted bumpers- most do NOT chip, mine being an example and you cannot get this cheaply done or else you will have chipping so throw in a couple hundred to get those painted.
painted grille surround- you say you can do it cheaply, well when you do it's going to chip. so to have professionally done im going to say another hundred.
heated seats- you aren't going to be able to install so add several more hundred dollars
pretty sure with the 4.6 you are getting 3.55 gears unless the tow packages changes that. so if you are then you are going to have to do a gear swap also to make your XL and FX4 which would be around twelve hundred.

ok now that's out of the way, why on earth did you make this thread to begin with, i really don't see a point except to start an arguement. if you want an XL then fine get one but it has been more than proven many times in this thread that an Fx4 is more than just a little sticker away from an XL.

oh and once again there is no such thing as a platinum FX4 or platinum lariat for that matter. a platinum is it's own trim level

Last edited by dilloncawthon; 11-16-2009 at 12:23 AM.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:26 AM
oh and once again there is no such thing as a platinum FX4 or platinum lariat for that matter. a platinum is it's own trim level
Well there is no such thing as a platinum FX4 but what we call the "Platinum" trim level is really the "Platinum Package" for a Lariat.

Look at this window sticker for instance:

http://services.forddirect.fordvehic...FW1EV1AFA40640

Old 11-16-2009, 12:30 AM
Technical Article Contributor

PLATINUM IS ESSENTIALLY AN XL

OMFG....what a dough head

Old 11-16-2009, 12:39 AM
Hey red bird or whatever your name is. I got my useless FX4 for 30k. Jack ***. So basically I got a
5.4 liter engine
ELocker
Flow through console
etc....
Dude I love all Ford trucks and like I've said before I bleed Ford blue, but the XL is no where near the truck my FX4 is. "Buy what you need". Stop saying that because you sound like a damn idiot. NCSU has handed you your a$$ numerous times in this thread. You have zero first hand experience in these trucks so how the hell can you say that the "XL is basically the same as a Platinum"? You cannot. Period. You are an ignorant troll. Go AWAY!

Old 11-16-2009, 12:40 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by dilloncawthon
why do you feel the need to only say that you're paying for a sticker?
lets see

ok now that's out of the way, why on earth did you make this thread to begin with, i really don't see a point except to start an arguement. if you want an XL then fine get one but it has been more than proven many times in this thread that an Fx4 is more than just a little sticker away from an XL.
electronic locker- about a grand if you install it on your XL - I have been told I don't need this option with 4x4 and sand bags $20. may give me all the traction I need.

5.4l engine- you are already over that 6k you said if you try to swap for one of these in your XL - Who said I am swapping engines? 4.6 meets my needs. buy what you need!

painted bumpers- most do NOT chip, mine being an example and you cannot get this cheaply done or else you will have chipping so throw in a couple hundred to get those painted. - Like you would know. Perhaps you missed the thread on them chipping. you do not own a 2010 so you do not know what you are talking about.

painted grille surround- you say you can do it cheaply, well when you do it's going to chip. so to have professionally done im going to say another hundred. - Isn't $100 cheaper than $6000.?

heated seats- you aren't going to be able to install so add several more hundred dollars - Heated seats are nice for some people, but again for the millionth time, heated seats are not standard in a base FX4 which is what we are comparing to a loaded XL.

pretty sure with the 4.6 you are getting 3.55 gears unless the tow packages changes that. so if you are then you are going to have to do a gear swap also to make your XL and FX4 which would be around twelve hundred. - why even make this comment if you do not know what is what? i appreciate you trying to help but the loaded XL already comes with 3.73 gears LS. i won't be paying $1200 extra for anything.

I do not know why you are attacking me or even commenting. You do not even own a 2010 and do not seem to know a lot about it to comment. I did not say it was just a sticker. Please go back and read. I was asking what it was, just a sticker? Because that is what I was reading it was essentially just a sticker with some offroad shocks that are not really offroad and a couple options nobody would really use but once in a truck's lifetime. Maybe I will buy the FX4. Maybe the FX4 will meet my needs. When and if I do buy a FX4 I want a big apology from you.

Last edited by RedRobin51; 11-16-2009 at 12:54 AM.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:47 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Darknightmare
Hey red bird or whatever your name is. I got my useless FX4 for 30k. Jack ***. So basically I got a
5.4 liter engine
ELocker
Flow through console
etc....
Dude I love all Ford trucks and like I've said before I bleed Ford blue, but the XL is no where near the truck my FX4 is. "Buy what you need". Stop saying that because you sound like a damn idiot. NCSU has handed you your a$$ numerous times in this thread. You have zero first hand experience in these trucks so how the hell can you say that the "XL is basically the same as a Platinum"? You cannot. Period. You are an ignorant troll. Go AWAY!
There is no need to call me names. If I can get the FX4 for 30k I will go for it. Ok? NCSU has not handed me anything. I came here asking questions and he came at me with an attitude. I did not say the XL was a Platinum. I said I was told the "XL is essentially a Platinum" (on this forum) and asked if that was true. I don't even know what it is quite frankly. OK? If I can get the FX4 Lariat for anywhere near 30k I am leaning now towards the FX4. After tomorrow I will have made my purchase and will report back Monday night. Buy what you need. Buy what works for YOU.

Edit: GreenBuck50 was the one who told me "an XL was essentially a Platinum". So you can tar and feather him for that if that is not correct. I did not say it.

Last edited by RedRobin51; 11-16-2009 at 12:52 AM.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:50 AM
electronic locker- about a grand if you install it on your XL - I have been told I don't need this option with 4x4 and sand bags $20. may give me all the traction I need.

5.4l engine- you are already over that 6k you said if you try to swap for one of these in your XL - Who said I am swapping engines? 4.6 meets my needs. buy what you need!

painted bumpers- most do NOT chip, mine being an example and you cannot get this cheaply done or else you will have chipping so throw in a couple hundred to get those painted. - Like you would know. Perhaps you missed the thread on them chipping. you do not own a 2010 so you do not know what you are talking about.
well there you go, you are paying for an engine in that 6k. i know you said you didn't need the 5.4 but the FX4 comes with it so that has to be included in the extra money for it.

perhaps you missed my post in that thread stating that my FX4 HAS HAD NO CHIPPING WHATSOEVER IN 46K. you make me laugh, so by your logic since you don't have a 2010 either your whole arguement in this thread is pointless because you know nothing about the truck. plus im pretty sure the quality of paint on the bumpers did not change from 04-08 to 09-10.

oh haha and once again you said since i do not have a 2010 that i know nothing about the truck. did you forget that you don't have one either? so basically you just said you know nothing about the trucks. fun talking with you

oh and what options would one only use once in his life?

Last edited by dilloncawthon; 11-16-2009 at 12:59 AM.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:50 AM
Why the Eff would you put GD sandbags in your bed?!?! That is just stupid. You do know that by putting those in your bed for serious off roading puts more strain on your drivetrain right? Probably not because your ignorant. The 5.4 also doesn't have to work as hard to move the truck thus it's a more efficient motor. But hey what do I know the FX4 only works for me

Old 11-16-2009, 12:58 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Darknightmare
Why the Eff would you put GD sandbags in your bed?!?! That is just stupid. You do know that by putting those in your bed for serious off roading puts more strain on your drivetrain right? Probably not because your ignorant. The 5.4 also doesn't have to work as hard to move the truck thus it's a more efficient motor. But hey what do I know the FX4 only works for me
Who told you it puts strain on it? I was searching the forum and some guy named Manual F-150 said to put sand bags in the bed if I needed traction. If the 5.4 works for you, buy it. Buy what you need. Buy what works for YOU. I was told the 4.6 is more efficent and meets my needs but if I can get the FX4 I will get 5.4 and that is more efficent I will.

Old 11-16-2009, 01:08 AM
oh and another thing, why don't you check back with that chipped bumper thread that you keep referring to. so far i have counted 5 guys with no bumper chips and 2 with them......

Quick Reply: XL vs FX4