2009 - 2014 F-150

2010 F150 OEM Trailer Brake Controller

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 07:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, Big Smokey

You were correct. The relay and fuse that Ford gives us with the pigtail for an aftermarket trailer brake controller work just fine with the Ford TBC, P/N BL3Z 2C006-AA.

I bought the TBC from Tasca Automotive for $107.47 including shipping. The local dealer installed it for $60 plus tax. It was the first TBC install they had done. I left them the truck, the parts, and photos and instructions downloaded from a forum posting. They admitted it wasn't as bad as they expected.

Oddly, the aftermarket purchase and dealer install was cheaper than the $220 option I didn't get on the new truck.

Old 09-05-2011, 12:07 AM
Was the pigtail used in the installation too or just the fuse and relay?

Old 09-05-2011, 08:29 PM
Trailer Brake Controller Installation

You just need the fuse and relay, NOT the pigtail (which is to wire in an aftermarket controller).

The BL3Z-2C006 controller just plugs into the factory connector behind the dash.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:44 PM
Thanks, that's what I thought but just wanted to be sure.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:11 PM
Thumbs up 2010 Brake Controller Installation

Being a new member, this is my 1st post and I would like to thank everyone who contributes to this forum. I recently purchased (12/9) a very low mileage 2010 F-150 XLT w/trailer tow package only. I was not aware their was a factory or aftermarket OEM Brake controller option until the following day when I was brousing another dealers new vehicle inventory and noticed it on the window sticker. Plan was to keep the existing aftermarket controller on my current tow vehicle & purchase a new one for the F150. Hence the research on the product and eventually being led to this site. The dialog & diagnosis of the issues has saved me considerable time toward completing this project. The connector was found taped neatly to the bundle horizonally down at the bottom, trim piece & bin removed last nite as noted in the treads and was able to order the correct part# based upon the vehicles production date (8/10). Spot on explanations.
I have found so far that TascaParts are the least expensive reliable source
($188 w/shipping). eBay is $5 less. Not worth it.
I did see where one member mentioned having the TBC activated/enabled before installing. As such, I have a query into Tasca to see if they could do this (for a fee) before shipping the unit to me and save the time going to the dealer. I'll let you know what they say.
Again, great info & much appreciated!!

Old 12-14-2011, 12:23 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
It's not the TBC itself that needs activation, it needs to be enabled in the PCM. That does have to be done at the dealer.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the confirmation. It's what I thought also and had already made appt @ dealer to have this completed.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:24 PM
I too am new to this site, bought 2011 last Sat. Go in Monday for them to hook up Brake controller. Have to admit that I have read every bit of this thread. Waiting to hear from Sudden 50 the results. I bought the Ecoboost for towing a trailer about 9000lbs. Thanks to all who contribute to this site. Dave

Old 12-19-2011, 07:06 AM
SUDDEN50 - Dont forget to install the fuse and relay that is in your glove box in the fuse panel just under the hood. This engages trailer battery charging using your truck battery. I couldnt find any info anywhere on the wraped up package on what the fuse and relay was for - was just laying in the glove box... I'd have to look up again which slots they go into but once I found out they were for the trailer battery charge it was easy to locate the slots from the manual.

My OEM brakes worked great once I figured out they "DO NOT" engage the trailer brakes when stopped or below a certain low speed which was totally different from P2 Prodigy Brake Controller. If you want to hold the trailer with brakes locked when already stopped you have to hold the manual slide switch on with your hand - at least this is the way my 2010 F150 works. My other problem with the OEM trailer Brakes was once connected the trailer brake info page would not be on top of the screen view every time when I pressed the brake pedal - sometimes I had to walk through the info pages to find it...

Last edited by Roy Braddy; 12-19-2011 at 07:09 AM.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:51 PM
Roy, thanks for the advise. I am familiar with the fuse & relay as I had to replace a fuse on my original tow vehicle (03 Trailblazer XLT V8) when it blew and my trailer battery was not charging when connected. Did a lot of hand cranking that weekend!
The dash has been prepared, connector run to opening and waiting since late last week for TBC to be delivered today from Tasca. Appt with dealer in the morning to get activated or may take it to the "quick lane" tonite if I have time. An easy money saving install that can be accomplished by most.

What I was interested to have confirmed and what I thought initially when reading through the entire thread is that the trailer brakes are not engaged when stopped.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:12 PM
Dave,
Just returned from dealer getting controller enabled with IDS. All set. Message center now displays properly with each function. Also, the +/- buttons on controller now are lit when the key is on.
I got the run-around Monday nite from Svce Writer (had no comprehension of what I needed done) to finally getting an appt for this afternoon. As a result, the dealer discounted the svce fee (50%). All in all, a very easy self install @ a considerable savings over having to purchase the controller from the local Ford dealer and having them install & enable. $200 in my pocket that goes toward paying for new Bak Flip F1 tonnau cover I also installed this past weekend.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:07 AM
Thanks for all the great info in this thread. I have decided to go aftemarket since my truck didnt have any towing package from the factory / dealer.

Does anyone have one of the dash "pockets" or "cups" laying around? I would like to use one for practice for my P3, but I dont want to cut mine up.

Thanks to all again. I am will to pay a little for it, and shipping of course.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:36 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by shofun91
Thanks for all the great info in this thread. I have decided to go aftemarket since my truck didnt have any towing package from the factory / dealer.

Does anyone have one of the dash "pockets" or "cups" laying around? I would like to use one for practice for my P3, but I dont want to cut mine up.

Thanks to all again. I am will to pay a little for it, and shipping of course.
I have one from when i installed my TBC, shoot me a PM

Old 01-22-2012, 07:53 PM
PM sent. Thanks

Old 01-22-2012, 08:08 PM
What are people paying to have the dealer enable the trailer brake controller at the dealer?

Quick Reply: 2010 F150 OEM Trailer Brake Controller