2009 - 2014 F-150

ATTN: Oil Filter Engineer at Ford.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 02:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Might be easier, with the electric fans on the 2010s you can actually get too the filter

Old 05-17-2010, 06:27 PM
I changed my oil for the first time, yesterday.

It took me this long to calm down enough to be able to post.

I have wished on the Ford engineer that designed the location of the filter, a very slow and painful death.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by Dizman
I changed my oil for the first time, yesterday.

It took me this long to calm down enough to be able to post.

I have wished on the Ford engineer that designed the location of the filter, a very slow and painful death.
I sure wish that they kept using the remote filter location like I had on my 1998 F-150--frame mounted right behind the bumper. I did get the factory filter off my 2010 without incurring a hernia so I consider myself fortunate indeed.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:36 AM
If you are changing your own oil, then next time try a K & N oil filter. They have a one inch nut welded to the end that makes changing the filter a snap and they filter the oil alot better. On my vehicles I run mobil 1 and a K & N oil filter for 6000 miles.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by camanche hunter
If you are changing your own oil, then next time try a K & N oil filter. They have a one inch nut welded to the end that makes changing the filter a snap and they filter the oil alot better. On my vehicles I run mobil 1 and a K & N oil filter for 6000 miles.
The Mobil One and K&N filter are both made by Champion and are identical except for the nut on the end. I stopped paying up for those filters when I realized I never used the nut. When the Motorcraft filter (WIX) is one of the best made, why pay $14.00 when you can pay $3.75.
Also, keep in mind Ford has gotten real picky when it come to warranty work and if they see a K&N filter on a new truck with engine oiling issues they may have a cause to void the warranty.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:28 PM
rok
My filter looked the same. I forgot the filter tool and I already drained the oil (I was at the shop at work). The tool cage was locked but I found a strap wrench and still couldnt get the bugger off. A guy I work with happened to be in the building still and had the plier type oil filter wrench and it did the job. I spent about 1 hr trying to get that thing off before i got the wrench. i was so pissed.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:02 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
When did Motorcraft switch over to Wix? They have been Purolator as long as I can remember.

The only real problem is getting the factory filter off. You can use any decent filter and install it properly, and you won't have issues removing it.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ive used the tool paralyzer showed earlier in the thread..about 12" extension and a ratchet works great.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:04 AM
I am local to the Wix factory here in NC and they make Motorcraft, Napa Gold, and Wix brand filters.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by Paralyzer

this plus extension and ratchet
I don't recommend this tool at all. I bought one just like it from Snap-On for a specific vehicle or I should say piece of equipment for aircraft support I must have had every tool made for oil filters at my arsenal in my tool book. But this one caused me more problems than any other one. It just crushed the filter in three different places usually causing a leak. So, then I had to deal with leaking filter while trying to remove it. I gave it back to the Snap-On guy.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wrench007
I don't recommend this tool at all. I bought one just like it from Snap-On for a specific vehicle or I should say piece of equipment for aircraft support I must have had every tool made for oil filters at my arsenal in my tool book. But this one caused me more problems than any other one. It just crushed the filter in three different places usually causing a leak. So, then I had to deal with leaking filter while trying to remove it. I gave it back to the Snap-On guy.
i use this tool on new f150's all the time..yea it mangles the filter and makes it leak at times but i still get it off..

Old 05-19-2010, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by SFCFX4
You think techs at the dealerships have to struggle with those things to the point of mangling them like that? I'd like to hear their two cents on these things!

Sometimes they do.....

Old 05-19-2010, 05:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One thing I have found in changing the few oil filters on my F-150's over the years is to apply steady pressure rather than trying to give it a quick jerk like you would for a nut or bolt. You are going against rubber, and that quick jerk does no good at all. I also have the end cap filter wrenchs and used them to take off the OEM filter, and now use the one that fits the aftermarket Fl-820S.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:01 AM
i was in the same boat you were in, i pried and pried on that thing, glad i got it off because by the time i was done with it there was a hole! thank god for my superhuman strength!

Old 05-21-2010, 12:08 AM
Originally Posted by glc
When did Motorcraft switch over to Wix? They have been Purolator as long as I can remember.

The only real problem is getting the factory filter off. You can use any decent filter and install it properly, and you won't have issues removing it.
Not sure who has what filter contracts today, but I do know a couple years back, the OEM filter was made by WIX and the OES filter was made by Purolator.

In the last few years, Dana sold off the Aftermarket brands (now Affinia) and Bosch bought Purolator.

If you look at the holes in the base plate of the OES vs the OEM, one is oblong and the other has round holes.

Quick Reply: ATTN: Oil Filter Engineer at Ford.