2009 - 2014 F-150

ATTN: Oil Filter Engineer at Ford.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 10:18 AM
gtk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trk35
One thing I have found in changing the few oil filters on my F-150's over the years is to apply steady pressure rather than trying to give it a quick jerk like you would for a nut or bolt.
I did my trucks 1st oil change this morning. After watching this thread I thought some of you were exaggerating.. . Not so.. I thought that filter was welded on..

Finally after a lot of slow steady pressure it came off

Old 05-21-2010, 07:26 PM
Apparently the same machine has been putting on oil filters for 25 plus years. My first experience with the Ford filter monster was a new 1983 Mustang "vert". I had no idea it was spun on to about 200 ft-lbs. I finally pulled out the long screw drive and hammered it through the filters heart. Almost ripped it in half before finally getting it off. Same first time fun with the new 85 Mustang GT two years later. By the time I bought the 97 F 350 I figured the overtightened filter issue wouldn't rear its ugly head. Wrong! So when I bought the 2010 F 150 I was prepared. Brought out the same screw driver from 83, plus an 18" lead pipe "persuader" to put over the ratchet handle. I also had the end cap for the factory filter. Went at it from underneath the truck with the end cap and to my suprise, the stupid thing eased right off. Guess after 27 years Ford owed me one.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:47 PM
I just did my first change this afternoon. But after reading this thread I pulled my old filter remover wrench from wally world. Made short work of that filter ( ok 2 minutes).
The wrench head looks half round with teeth on it. Works well with tough filters.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:46 PM
just did my first oil change on my 2010. it was a piece of cake, oil filter came right off. i used a cap type filter wrench http://www.lislecorp.com/divisions/p...n=1&category=9
my 7 year old could have unscrewed the the plug.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:04 PM
It is not an over torque on these factory filters, I beleive that they are put on without oil on the rubber gasket. Someone please reprogram the factory robot. The Ford original seems bad but the old full size filters on GM products were worse, but the gasket was over twice the length, I have had to use an air chisel on some GM products to get the filter off after twisting the canister off level.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:48 AM
I'll be changing mine for the first time in a few weeks. I have a box of filter cap wrenches from various vehicles I've owned in the past. I know I have one that fits the Motorcraft filter. Haven't tried the OEM one yet.

I do know this robot's brother works at Nissan. The stock filter on my previous Nissan Xterra also didn't want to come loose. I have some massive slip joint pliers that easily took care of the job. Here they are next to the skid pan for size comparison.

It used the oil drip tray as well.

I would highly recommend NOT using Fram filters. I've had engines ping at idle (valvetrain rattle) with these filters, but not with OEM. Talked to several friends & coworkers, who noted the same thing. A little searching online, ran across this article a while back:

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/index.html

It's worth the read. See what's inside the filters you're buying. Pretty orange paint just isn't enough!

Old 08-04-2010, 10:17 AM
NICE! Way to go man!

Old 08-04-2010, 10:38 AM
DjG
Technical Article Contributor
I believe the issue isn't overtighting so much but no oil being place on the filter seal before install.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:33 PM
I guess I was lucky. I changed my oil for the first time last week and it came off like any normally installed filter; pretty easy with a filter wrench. I have a lift in my garage, but still, it would have been just as easy on the ground.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:28 PM
Hi all,

Well, I just did my first oil change on my 2010 FX-4. I have to say I joined the club of those who had a VERY tight filter. I went through three types of filter removers, and the only way that it finally worked was to slip in a piece of 100 grit sandpaper between the self tightening metal strap tool and the surface of the OEM filter. When the strap tightened down against the body, it finally grabbed enough to start loosening.

However, even with the slippage issue resolved, I still had to stand on the handle of the strap tool to get enough leverage to start it moving.....

C'mon Ford... WTF....I was so angry over such a stupid situation, my neighbor probably thinks I am insane for all the things I said (Very Loudly) to the unknown Ford entity that caused this issue! With all the vehicles I have owned over my lifetime, foreign and domestic, this was by far the worst ever 'too tight' oil filter.

Good luck to you all...

JJ

Old 12-12-2010, 04:58 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Why do you think we recommend you have the DEALER do the first oil change? Come on - it's not that expensive, and I'm sure there may be a few little "bugs" that need to be taken care of on warranty anyway.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:56 PM
First change should always be at the dealer............I have always gotten a free oil change thrown in on every vehicle purchased.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:36 PM
I did mine a few months ago, and it came off just easily.

FX4

Old 12-13-2010, 06:42 AM
Just a thought here, but would someone who has a new F150 and a set of verniers (calipers) go out and measure the diameter across the filter flats and count the number of flats. I think if we have that info, it wont be too hard to find the socket type filter wrench that fixs the factory filter.

I know we have a couple and probably more, Ford Tech's here, maybe they could tell us what is used at the dealership for oil change number one. It's a job that is almost as frustrating as changing 5.4 3V plugs.

I want to be prepared before I buy my next new F150 or SD. Oil Filter Robot # 244A ain't gonna beat me this time. Heck, this may be the first time in the past 20 plus years of buying new Fords where I wont be struggling with a darn oil filter....

Old 12-13-2010, 09:15 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the FL 820 S is 3.66" dia and it has 36 flutes. But of course you ask about the factory one, so I wonder mineself about that.Thanks

Quick Reply: ATTN: Oil Filter Engineer at Ford.