2009 - 2014 F-150

Added Recon White Lightning...

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 12:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks great, I was behind a pickup on the freeway lastnight and he/she had them on their truck and my wife was liking it alot so I placed my order as soon as we got home.
It's not very often that the wife likes something for the truck so I had to go with her on this one.
Damn, if I could only get her to let me drop the $3000 for the new rims,tires and bull bar now. Hummmmm!!!

Old 11-29-2009, 01:07 PM
Technical Article Contributor

looks great man. i have the line of fire on mine and to "hardwire" mine i added another truck side trailer plug behind the bumper tapped into the factory plug wiring. that way i can remove it if i need to, doesnt look funny, and i still have my trailer plug

Old 11-29-2009, 02:00 PM
BD - looks GREAT!!

Did you by chance happen to get any pics around your custom wiring? I agree, would be nice to hard wire it in (not like you are ever going to be removing it and I like a "clean" installation.

Nice job, can't wait to install mine!

Old 11-29-2009, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by HotLap
BD - looks GREAT!!

Did you by chance happen to get any pics around your custom wiring? I agree, would be nice to hard wire it in (not like you are ever going to be removing it and I like a "clean" installation.

Nice job, can't wait to install mine!
Thanks, HotLap. Sorry, I didn't take any pics of the wiring. It's pretty straightforward though. If you do this and have any questions, let me know.

Old 11-29-2009, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by BrainDonor
Thanks, HotLap. Sorry, I didn't take any pics of the wiring. It's pretty straightforward though. If you do this and have any questions, let me know.
BD - thanks for the offer...I'm pretty good with wiring...just being lazy I also noticed the Recon website mentioned hardwiring the 60" bar as an option - so I would imagine it is discussed in the install directions or avail from Recon. How did you deal with the passenger side "bulge"? Also, just sent you a PM re: the Recon cargo lights you are planning on installing...would be REALLY cool if you could wire them into the existing cargo light switch circuit...I'd probably not want them on all the time...how are you planning on installing?

Old 11-29-2009, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by HotLap
BD - thanks for the offer...I'm pretty good with wiring...just being lazy I also noticed the Recon website mentioned hardwiring the 60" bar as an option - so I would imagine it is discussed in the install directions or avail from Recon. How did you deal with the passenger side "bulge"? Also, just sent you a PM re: the Recon cargo lights you are planning on installing...would be REALLY cool if you could wire them into the existing cargo light switch circuit...I'd probably not want them on all the time...how are you planning on installing?
yeah...the bulge...why is that there?

anyway, we just moved the end pad over and added a couple more layers of the 3M tape. you can't tell it's sticking out a little further unless you're standing right over it.

For the bedlights, I went with the dual kit from here (non-Recon): http://shop.4zproducts.com/products/...ic-cargo-light

Old 11-29-2009, 02:23 PM

anyway, we just moved the end pad over and added a couple more layers of the 3M tape. you can't tell it's sticking out a little further unless you're standing right over it.

For the bedlights, I went with the dual kit from here (non-Recon): http://shop.4zproducts.com/products/...ic-cargo-light
BD - thx - just replied to your PM...now to install my Easy Down

Old 11-30-2009, 12:31 PM
[/url]

Cause she's hot looking, that's why JK, I was checking out the "bulge" area yesterday when installing my EZ Down. There is a black rod sticking out the bottom of the tailgate that the bulge/cut out area appears to be providing clearence for...strange that Ford didn't just cut the end off the rod as it doesn't make contact with the bed at all

Anyone know what that black rod is for? I realize the F-150 tailgate does have a rod in it to make the tailgate easier to lift (similar to the old style trunk rods that went across the top front of the trunk area to assist in lifting the trunk lid....could it be this and if so, why did Ford need to have it stick out so far?

Old 11-30-2009, 03:08 PM
cool !!

Old 11-30-2009, 05:39 PM
looks sharp.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:00 AM
Looks good!

Question for you: Is there a way to NOT have the running lights on (I assume this means the red lights are on when the truck's lights are on, correct)?

I think I'd prefer to have it light up only when braking or turning.

Question 2: Did the installation instructions come with hardwiring info?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by MagicMtnDan; 12-18-2009 at 04:05 AM.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:41 AM
Originally Posted by MagicMtnDan
Looks good!

Question for you: Is there a way to NOT have the running lights on (I assume this means the red lights are on when the truck's lights are on, correct)?

I think I'd prefer to have it light up only when braking or turning.

Question 2: Did the installation instructions come with hardwiring info?

Thanks in advance for your help.
As I recall, there is one wire on the light bar that was designated as the running lights wire...I think you could leave that unconnected if you don't want them on when the truck lights are on. Recon has a little drawing on their instructions explaining which wire is which. As for the hardwiring instructions...they didn't tell us which wires to tap into, presumably because each brand truck is different and this product is universal. In the trailer/tow kit that came with the truck, there was a piece of paper in there that explained what wires were what on the truck. We simply tapped into the wires in the tail lights. Had to clip off the Recon plug, peel apart the wires and run them individually to the factory wires. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Added Recon White Lightning...