2009 - 2014 F-150

Truck Issues in First 30 weeks & 28k miles

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 11:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck Issues in First 30 weeks & 28k miles

I've had my truck for 30 weeks, rolled over 28k miles on it as of today, and here is the list of issues I've encountered (I know some people like to see lists, some don't):

1. Both right seatbelt retractors replaced because they would lock up and not release - fixed
2. Third brakelight leaked all over rear seat - fixed
3. Transmission shifting - covered by TSB - better, not 100%
4. Adjusted right front passenger door to latch tighter (rattled at interstate speeds and over speed bumps in town) - fixed
5. SYNC stopped working - covered by TSB - fixed, but not tested yet
6. Airbag light on - low voltage triggered, related to SYNC failure - fixed, not tested
7. Battery drained in 6.5 hours (low enough truck wouldn't start) - related to SYNC failure - fixed?
8. Intermittant Rattle under truck at 72-75mph (sounds like heat shield or something similar) - not addressed yet
9. Driver door lock intermittantly won't lock - not addressed yet

I'm definitely shaking the bugs out quickly with the miles I drive, and am hoping the issue rate declines over the next 8k miles. I strive to keep my operating cost per mile as low as possible for the trucks I buy, and having service visits every month or two isn't cheap once the truck is out of warrantly.

I may purchase an extended bumper to bumper this winter to get the extra covereage, as the trend is that this truck has some issues to work out. I usually base my extended warranty decisions on frequency and severity of issues during the first 32k miles, and then elect to sign up for additional coverage based on the truck's personality.

Otherwise truck is great! I know some people would scream about this many issues, but I chose to buy a first model year truck, and feel ok with my decision... I'll keep everyone updated on service issues as they arise.

IowaAndy

Old 12-08-2009, 12:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow, sorry to hear all those problems. you defiantly got a monday morning truck. i would get the extended warrenty.

Old 12-08-2009, 12:59 PM
That sucks! I hope Ford takes care of you.

Old 12-08-2009, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by F150man21
a monday morning truck.
never heard that expression.

Old 12-08-2009, 01:31 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by BrainDonor
never heard that expression.
There's a first time for everything Rudolph

Old 12-08-2009, 02:34 PM
Holy crap... why do you drive 900 miles a week?

Old 12-08-2009, 03:34 PM
I cover Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, and Missouri for a hydraulic system company that provides hydraulics for agricultural, construction, and wind turbine companies.

Some weeks I'll only put on 200-300, but like last week I had 1500 in 3 days. Depends on customer projects. I drive trucks because:

1. They handle deer collisions better
2. Can haul oily parts in back
3. Personally I feel better after sitting in truck for 14 hours vs. a car.
4. Resale on a 250k mile car is zilch, while a 250k 5 year old truck will still pull 8-10k in trade-in
5. I don't pay for fuel or truck payment

IowaAndy

PS Dealer takes great care of me. They almost always detail truck after warranty work, including a handwash. Bad part is the service manager literally knows me by first name wherever he sees me in town. I don't like knowing my service manager THAT well...

Old 12-08-2009, 03:37 PM
Where do you drive everyday??? That's a lot of miles.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:37 PM
For the amount of driving you do in a totally new truck, I'd say these are rather minor problems, no?

Old 12-08-2009, 06:05 PM
I agree, alot of miles but really very little wrong. I will still put up with those problems rather than drive a perfect Japanese truck (If they only could).

Old 12-08-2009, 06:20 PM
What year did you buy? Hehehe, just kidding.

Are you sure you didn't buy a 2004? That year SUCKED.

My 2009 has had zero issues, other than the "creakys" which ya pretty much gotta live with until the next vehicle upgrade.

Even my 1998 only had one issue. In 2001 or 2002 some kind of wired connection under the truck near the engine came apart. It was like some long wire that was held together at one point by a connecting piece that had corroded over the years and finally just fell apart, leaving the 2 wire ends hanging down unconnected. The truck would not start at all without that wire connected. Simple fix at dealer, never another problem.

Amazing how that 1998 truck and my '09 are so problem free, but that '04 model... boy did it have a lot of issues. The forums were abalze for years with all the issues, from practically Day 1 onwards. The '09 forums are quiet as a mouse compared to the 04 Forum back then.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:55 PM
Yea I agree the issues are minor 'bug' type issues, except for the SYNC battery drain. I can deal with a lot but when an issue kills the battery, it strands me.

If I wasn't willing to deal with the bugs, I wouldn't have bought a first model year. I'm still happy as a 2009 owner!

Old 12-09-2009, 01:23 PM
I had the same philosophy with the extended warranty on my wifes '08 Expy... if by 32K there weren't any issues then I wouldn't bother with it. Well it was problem free with the exception of 2 reprograms of the transmission due to the goofy shifting issues. Other than that and a couple of minor rattles, it had been problem free. So I dropped the thought of getting the extended warranty. Apparently that was a mistake...

Fast forward to the last few weeks as she just turned over 40K miles... the reverse camera/back up sensor is blowing fuses all of the sudden, the power steering pump apparently has a leak as it was low on fluid, and the transmission is making a horrible whining noise intermittantly. We are working with the dealership to get this stuff resolved but at this point it's out of warranty by 4K miles and I'll likely have a fight on my hands.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:46 PM
Ok so I have experienced the exact same problems on my 09 F150 King Ranch 4x4..

Problems so far (I only have 7k)

1. Sync quits working
2. Airbag indicator light on (OMFG THIS PROBLEM IS GETTING ANNOYING) Happens all the time
3. Battery dead after truck was sitting for 4 days (Left to Aspen, Returned and truck was dead)
4. Transmission Shifting (Im not really sure what to do about this)

If someone could help solve the Airbag indicator light problem that would really be helpful!!

I Took the truck to the dealer with concerns on the Airbag light and my battery being dead after 4 days. They were unable to find any electrical leaks and said the Airbag light could be related to the battery. Also once I jump started my truck after the battery went dead the sync problems went away..

Old 01-05-2010, 09:48 PM
Bought my 09 XLT Screw 4x2 in Dec. 09 with 5k and the only issues I have had so for would be the passenger window/door rattles when going over speed bumbs and driving at residential speeds. Anyone else having the same issuse.

Quick Reply: Truck Issues in First 30 weeks & 28k miles