2009 - 2014 F-150

Have you guys been aware of this defect we have with the f150

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 06:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johnwill
This is not a defect and the frame is not mis-aligned.

It is no big deal, get over it please and thanks.
You have lost all credibility, The frame IS mis-aligned. Why do you have such a problem with my opinion? What is your agenda?

Old 12-20-2009, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff H
You have lost all credibility, The frame IS mis-aligned. Why do you have such a problem with my opinion? What is your agenda?
Try this: Get on a long, straight, flat stretch of road and get up to about 40 MPH. Let go of the steering wheel and see what happens. If it pulls sharply one way or the other then it's a mechanical issue that does affect the handling. If it continues straight and slowly drifts off then it's cosmetic and something Ford isn't likely to address anytime soon.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Huh?

It is?

I don't.

None.

Don't flip out over a minor thing in you life.

Thanks

Old 12-20-2009, 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by bjp207
there are alot of vehicles that have this problem, my ranger was the same way, i dont think its a huge deal
Totally true.

Trucks I've owned with this issue, notice model years and brands differences.

1983 chevy blazer
1989 chevy s-10
1995 toyota tacoma
1997 ford ranger
1998 gmc sierra
2001 chevy blazer
2006 dodge ram 1500 srt-8 special edition
2005 ford f-150 fx4
Of all of these the ranger was the worse off 2" to one side, and the dodge ram a very close second was 1 3/4" off to one side, all the others were off probably 3/4" or less.
I noticed all of these because I put mudflaps on them all when purchased.

Every single one of these had the same thing. I dont understand why it all of the sudden is life or death here, but if you guys with this problem think its just your trucks go onto any toyota, gm, chevy, nissan forum etc. You will see the same complaints. It is in fact normal for things like this to not be perfect, NOW with that said if it was sticking 2" further out then the other side like my 1997 ranger is, I can understand, but 3/4 of an inch... Stop worrying about it and drive its heart out.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If you guys can live with sub-standard engineering and are so happy with with your trucks why do you bother posting in this thread? For myself I don't like having a mis-aligned frame and I don't see why you have a problem with that. No, nothings perfect but this is not a small tolerance issue. I don't want to see any of the domestic autos go back to the sloppy fit and finish that was more prevalent in the 70's and 80's.

I guess my big fear would be that with the foreign trucks not doing very well that the U.S. autos might relax. I believe its because of the foreign competition that we have the higher quality vehicles that we have today. We all win! However, not if we are willing to accept serious issues like this one.

Now, having said that, I'm disappointed but will continue to enjoy the trucks other great quality's. I can probably get over this better than I could the attempt to hide this problem by shifting the bed to one side. I feel I have a right to my opinion as I have given Ford over $100K in the last four years (04,06, and now a 2010).
Wow. Just wow.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:09 AM
Originally Posted by Stealth
Wow. Just wow.
I know.. sometimes I wonder what world people are living in. Dont get my wrong I hear you guys and agree to a degree, but the world I live in is full of people who dont care, so I'm confused why everyone thinks ford gives a ****.. No manufacturer cares about things like this. knowbody cares about our measily problems, just call the government cuase they'll care .
Only thing you can all do do is fix it yourself or not at all. They won't fix this, and they dont need to because "its normal" and thats all you'll ever hear. You think ford is bad, call dodge/chrysler customer care and tell them a problem with your dodge truck, I almost commited a haness crime because of the anger I endured.. somethings you gotta just let go, or ditch the problem entirely, like when I traded my dodge pile for my ford. I know you all don't want to hear that but its true, either deal with it or ditch the truck for something else.. I could use a nice used 09-10 anyway.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:57 AM
I thought it was funny in the "ford-truck enthusiast" forum, where one guy talks about the "problem" also being a safety issue. Then he says, "it's more likely to roll over on one side."

Could the fact that the axle slides back and forth inside the axle tube on the 8.8 have anything to do with this? Do new f150's have 8.8's?

Old 12-21-2009, 10:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by offroadn'98
I thought it was funny in the "ford-truck enthusiast" forum, where one guy talks about the "problem" also being a safety issue. Then he says, "it's more likely to roll over on one side."
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/87...ml#post8234148

A few safety comments:

Spacers will compromise the strength of the wheel studs as the bending moment increases with the thickness of the spacer. Stress of loading, acceleration & braking could cause the studs to fail. The thicker the spacer the greater the loss of strength. Also the farther the wheel is moved away from the bearings, the greater the stress on the bearing.

Regarding the wheel offset, some have attributed this to normal manufacturing tolerance. I disagree, the amount of offset is clearly visible to the unaided eye. A 1/2" is much greater than needed with modern computer manufacturing systems.

The offset also has some safety issues:
(A) The vehicle is more likely to roll over on one side than the other depending on the degree of offset. And (B) Wheel loading will be unequal. Most of the vehicles have been reported as having an offset to the right side. The fuel tank and driver are on the left side. Thus the left side which already is caring more weight than the right will be required to carry even more.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:52 PM
idk man, it sounds kinda dumb to me. "My RR wheel sticks out past the fender .25"s further than my LR does. My truck is definitely gonna roll next time i go 4wheelin!"

See what i mean? Sounds kinda dumb to me seeing as how the truck is like 75"-80"s wide. I guess if taken to extremes it might affect it in the very very slightest bit, But it isn't enough to worry about, which is why, Ford doesn't worry about it. If this were true, you could say my truck was more likely to roll since my 30gal. fuel tank isn't directly centered under the truck. I think it's a little more to the left. The 2010 F150 2wd 4 star rollover rating. 4wd 3 star rollover rating. Doesn't seem worse than any other truck. The new ram has a 3 star rollover rating also.

If your doing something extreme enough to make it roll, then it was gonna roll anyway.

Old 12-21-2009, 02:01 PM
Huh?

It is?

I don't.

None.

Don't flip out over a minor thing in you life.

Thanks

Love a thread that delivers.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:37 AM
Gents, I too would like to see a perfect balance...but this is pretty common on most brands and isn't a safety issue. My last three Mustangs ('07, '05 & 2000) all were off a bit...some more than others - but there was nothing wrong with the cars...just the way they come from the factory...I think it's more of the soild rear axle than a frame issue. I went and looked at several other brand new Mustangs in stock at the time and they were all off a bit. So I'm really not too worried if my '09 is off 3/4"...you could probably go check out new Chevy's at your local dealer and find the same thing. As long as the truck tracks straight and doesn't veer or drift - you should be OK...the absolute last thing I would want is my local dealership trying to realign the bed and cab...that sounds like trouble waiting to happen...to the OP - good luck and keep us posted

Old 12-22-2009, 01:58 AM
I agree.

I'm wondering about the 8.8 axle sliding back adn forth inside the axle tube? Is that something that could cause this instead of the "frame issue"?

Old 12-22-2009, 08:43 AM
if the rear carrier were sliding in the housing you would know it, there would noise like made from inside.

i agree with what other have said, you are making nothing into something.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:52 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm just going to order a whole new bed, about $3,600.

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/Ca...WLK+LH7viyyDAr

Old 12-22-2009, 10:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm just going to order a whole new bed, about $3,600.

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/Ca...WLK+LH7viyyDAr

Don't forget to add the cost to paint it!

Quick Reply: Have you guys been aware of this defect we have with the f150