2009 - 2014 F-150

Fogs with High Beams

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009 | 12:37 PM
|
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fogs with High Beams

Has anyone figured out how to keep the factory fog lights on with the High Beams on an 09-10, like the 04-08 guys did?

Old 12-16-2009 | 02:58 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Why? It doesn't add any helpful light. It's also illegal in most states. But if you must, find a wiring diagram and locate the relay that links the high beam circuit to the fog ground.

Old 12-16-2009 | 05:13 PM
Here we go again with the Bambi lights

Old 12-16-2009 | 05:50 PM
Suspended
Search bambi mod. There was a thread just a few days ago. Probably on page 2-3 by now.

Old 12-16-2009 | 06:46 PM
Why does someone always have to condemn a post with "that's probably illegal, that is dumb, it doesn't make more light etc..." Gosh, if you don't have something nice to say, move on to the next thread. This forum is meant to help people not quote them the scripture.

To help you out, Ford usually breaks the ground wire to the fog lamp relay with high beams. So you just add a ground wire to the fog lamp relay. Check first to make sure this is what they are doing on the 09's. That is how we do it on the F250's.

Old 12-16-2009 | 06:47 PM
Old 12-16-2009 | 07:21 PM
For the life of me, I can't figure out why anyone would want fogs and high beams on together. I've been through many blizzard conditions and the last thing I would want is headlights, high or low. Many times I would put four ways on only. Believe it or not it helps see through horrible conditions, blink,blink. I'm talking 5 mph. turn on you headlights and you can't see crap. Maybe someone could give me a reason for this mod. I'm clueless.

Old 12-16-2009 | 08:08 PM
I always run fog or driving lamps with high beams. Most high beams reach far but are very narrow. I cannot see the corners or ditches. Which on these twisty roads is where all the animals come from. So the extra side and low light is very helpful. With the high beams all I see it a 50ft wide circle of light 100yds ahead.
Snow or fog may be a different story. But in the black back woods more is better.

Then again I have 8 lamps, 1000 watts totalling about 4 million CP on my front end.

and 55watt Hella floods in the rear bumper for backing up...

Last edited by L8 APEX; 12-16-2009 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-16-2009 | 08:47 PM
|
Originally Posted by wrench007
For the life of me, I can't figure out why anyone would want fogs and high beams on together. I've been through many blizzard conditions and the last thing I would want is headlights, high or low. Many times I would put four ways on only. Believe it or not it helps see through horrible conditions, blink,blink. I'm talking 5 mph. turn on you headlights and you can't see crap. Maybe someone could give me a reason for this mod. I'm clueless.
Thanks for your input, but in northern Maine we have these dumb animals on the road the locals call a Moose. They dont run away or even attempt to get out of my way, so it is important for me to get as much light on the road as I can...so I can stop or move...the high beams are pretty narrow on these roads where I can be the only person for 20 minutes.

For the guys with helpful feedback and links, THANK YOU!

Old 12-16-2009 | 09:13 PM
Then again I have 8 lamps, 1000 watts totalling about 4 million CP on my front end.
Well now that we've measured your light-peen...

Old 12-17-2009 | 11:23 AM
I gave him advice on where to look, but added that it WON'T HELP his situation. I have done the mod to three different vehicles. The bright lights always shine wide enough to see the edge of the road 2-3 feet in front of the vehicle. You can't avoid a Moose that appears 3 feet in front of your vehicle at 50mph. Fog lights just illuminate the Moose's ***** a bit better for you. The amount of light fog lights produce compared to the bright lights is *almost* indicernable. You can see the lights turn on, but the additonal "lighted area" is virtually useless. If you were really concerned about it, you'd do as L8 has done: get some off-road driving lights, mount them on a bull bar or behind the grill, and aim them slightly to the sides.

Good luck with Bambi, though.

Old 12-19-2009 | 02:29 PM
|
Originally Posted by SoonerTruck
I gave him advice on where to look, but added that it WON'T HELP his situation. I have done the mod to three different vehicles. The bright lights always shine wide enough to see the edge of the road 2-3 feet in front of the vehicle. You can't avoid a Moose that appears 3 feet in front of your vehicle at 50mph. Fog lights just illuminate the Moose's ***** a bit better for you. The amount of light fog lights produce compared to the bright lights is *almost* indicernable. You can see the lights turn on, but the additonal "lighted area" is virtually useless. If you were really concerned about it, you'd do as L8 has done: get some off-road driving lights, mount them on a bull bar or behind the grill, and aim them slightly to the sides.

Good luck with Bambi, though.
Thanks for your input too! BUT... I didnt ask if it was a good mod to do, just looking to see if anyone had done it on the new body style F-150s. I thought I made that clear in my question, but I'll try to be clearer in the future...

Old 12-19-2009 | 05:44 PM
Well you sure made an emphasis about "those dumb animals" which seems to infer that you want to add lighting to see them and avoid them. Fog lights won't help that. No wonder you're an okie light grad!

Old 12-19-2009 | 11:01 PM
L8 APEX, Who makes the light bar you have and where did you get it. I'd like to put one like that on my '09. It looks like you were able to retain the OEM tow hooks with it. I sure like the lights mounted in the rear bumper also.

Nice work. Oh yeah, looks like an interesting instrument pod on the drivers post ;-)

Old 12-20-2009 | 10:49 AM
|
Originally Posted by SoonerTruck
Well you sure made an emphasis about "those dumb animals" which seems to infer that you want to add lighting to see them and avoid them. Fog lights won't help that. No wonder you're an okie light grad!
Seriously?

Quick Reply: Fogs with High Beams