2009 - 2014 F-150

No more thunk!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 11:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No more thunk!

After 5 months of ownership, my 4x4 150 no longer thunks on starting and stopping. I had the transmission TSB done at 2 weeks, but it did not resolve the issue. I just got the newly redesigned driveshaft installed, and it now starts, stops, and shifts the way I would expect a modern vehicle to. Entire drivetrain now feels significantly tighter...

Bottom line- if you have a super crew, 6.5 foot bed, you have a 2 piece drive shaft. If, after the tranny TSB, the truck still does not drive as it should, you probably need a new driveshaft.

Now if the dealer had just not balled up the "improved" SYNC mike install (no audio input). I would be most satisfied.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:30 PM
Technical Article Contributor

got a tsb number??

Old 12-18-2009, 11:45 PM
From the repair paperwork- "Follow TSB 09-25-5. Inst, lube shaft and replace boot. After TSB during road test, noise better but still there. Replace drive shaft, noise gone."

Old 12-19-2009, 06:49 PM
Mr. B,

I find this very interesting, as I have been waiting patiently as possible for your update and have shared your annoyance of the “nudge.”

Earlier this week we our temps finally rose from the single digits back up to 50plus degrees outside followed by a major rain storm. Evidently the third brake light seal could not deal with the cold and it finally started a miniature Niagra Falls inside the cab….so off to the dealer.

While I was there I asked them to review the TSBs for the drive shaft replacement hoping to finally be rid of the annoying nudge and mentioned that the .net was also stating that the yoke might need to be lubed.

Long story short after having the truck for two days the “lube kit” is on back order and my paperwork indicates it is the same TSB you referenced (09-25-05)? I was told the 09-25-05 kit encompasses the grease and shield/boot to help protect the grease from the elements.

When I pressed the dealer for the driveshaft info they stated they could not find any mention of a TSB for replacing the drive shaft, info regarding a newly designed driveshaft for the 157” LWB or any info updating them that a TSB would be forth coming.

Do you have another TSB specifically for the drive shaft replacement or additional info on the driveshaft you received? Is it a new design or just a replacement? I am sure I read that the new driveline was supposed to have a new balancing design?

Best Regards,

RoundII

Old 12-19-2009, 07:43 PM
RoundII-

My paperwork did not say anything about a different TSB regarding driveshaft replacement; the copy I got was hand written, but I will try and get the official" copy when I drop the truck off on Monday to have the SYNC mike fixed.

Old 12-21-2009, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by RoundII
Mr. B,

I find this very interesting, as I have been waiting patiently as possible for your update and have shared your annoyance of the “nudge.”

Earlier this week we our temps finally rose from the single digits back up to 50plus degrees outside followed by a major rain storm. Evidently the third brake light seal could not deal with the cold and it finally started a miniature Niagra Falls inside the cab….so off to the dealer.

While I was there I asked them to review the TSBs for the drive shaft replacement hoping to finally be rid of the annoying nudge and mentioned that the .net was also stating that the yoke might need to be lubed.

Long story short after having the truck for two days the “lube kit” is on back order and my paperwork indicates it is the same TSB you referenced (09-25-05)? I was told the 09-25-05 kit encompasses the grease and shield/boot to help protect the grease from the elements.

When I pressed the dealer for the driveshaft info they stated they could not find any mention of a TSB for replacing the drive shaft, info regarding a newly designed driveshaft for the 157” LWB or any info updating them that a TSB would be forth coming.

Do you have another TSB specifically for the drive shaft replacement or additional info on the driveshaft you received? Is it a new design or just a replacement? I am sure I read that the new driveline was supposed to have a new balancing design?

Best Regards,

RoundII
Not trying to jack this thread, but in regards to the leaking 3rd brake light, did you notice the water coming in in the center of your rear window where the brake light is, or does it track along the top of the window and run down at the top corners? I just discovered a leak at the top corners of my rear window last night and wonder if it is from the window itself, or the brake light.
Thanks

Old 12-21-2009, 10:30 PM
Originally Posted by 09KingRanch
Not trying to jack this thread, but in regards to the leaking 3rd brake light, did you notice the water coming in in the center of your rear window where the brake light is, or does it track along the top of the window and run down at the top corners? I just discovered a leak at the top corners of my rear window last night and wonder if it is from the window itself, or the brake light.
Thanks
I personally believe that water leaking into the cab can be very misleading due to the plastic side of the headliner facing both the sunroof and the third brake light. How your truck is parked will also be a huge determining factor as to how the water makes a path to the carpet.

Although I was parked nose up the truck was level side-to-side. When I inspected the back seat, there was standing water across the entire top of the rear seat. (I was personally shocked at just how much water was in the cab.) The leading edge of the headliner was wet from side-to-side and the felt behind the seat was soaked side-to side as well. I am sure that the water was probably wicked/pulled in all directions to some degree, but is was pretty well dispersed IMHO. I believe there was some water in the window too. It was not raining when I found the leak so I could not see exactly where it was coming form.). The dealer confirmed it was the third brake light and replaced the entire unit and then glued it in place.

If I had been parked nose down, I imagine the water would have run out the sunroof and potentially out the A-pillar (where the passenger side grab handle is attached like many others have stated.). I suspect that there would be a lot more damage if this had occurred. As it stands, I caught it quickly and can not see any water stains along the headliner etc. It has rained the last few days and I am still dry for now and without foggy windows. Maybe the drier they used in the body shop did the trick.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by Mr Bacon Jr
After 5 months of ownership, my 4x4 150 no longer thunks on starting and stopping. I had the transmission TSB done at 2 weeks, but it did not resolve the issue. I just got the newly redesigned driveshaft installed, and it now starts, stops, and shifts the way I would expect a modern vehicle to. Entire drivetrain now feels significantly tighter...

Bottom line- if you have a super crew, 6.5 foot bed, you have a 2 piece drive shaft. If, after the tranny TSB, the truck still does not drive as it should, you probably need a new driveshaft.

Now if the dealer had just not balled up the "improved" SYNC mike install (no audio input). I would be most satisfied.
Can you be more specific regarding the "thunk"? When I slow down like I am going to coast to a stop (30-40mph) and then step on the gas to speed up, I will feel a thud like it is coming from the rear end, then a slight lag, then the transmission will downshift and take off. The entire event only takes 1-2 seconds and it is much worse in the mornings or after the truck has been parked for 8 hours. After it is warmed up it doesn't usually do it or it is not as noticeable. Is this what you are referring to?

Old 12-23-2009, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by 09KingRanch
Can you be more specific regarding the "thunk"? When I slow down like I am going to coast to a stop (30-40mph) and then step on the gas to speed up, I will feel a thud like it is coming from the rear end, then a slight lag, then the transmission will downshift and take off. The entire event only takes 1-2 seconds and it is much worse in the mornings or after the truck has been parked for 8 hours. After it is warmed up it doesn't usually do it or it is not as noticeable. Is this what you are referring to?
That is one of the manifestations; others are the feeling of a "tap" on the rear of the truck when taking off or stopping. The 157" wheelbase truck has a two piece driveshaft, and it looks like the splines are binding on it. Ford first uses a grease kit and shield to see if it fixes it. I did confirm I got a completely new driveshaft, as the greasing did not work on my truck.

Quick Reply: No more thunk!