2009 - 2014 F-150

HID light problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 10:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HID light problems

I just finished installing a HID kit. Everything works good until I start the truck. When the vehicle is not running they lows work just fine. It is when the truck is running that the low beams will not turn on. Anyone else have this problem? As for wiring I just plugged right back into the factory harness.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Based on your location (Canada), I think you're going to have to disable the DRLs. Your vendor should have a kit to fix this.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:14 PM
yeah if im thinking correctly if you turn on the lights while the truck is off you are getting the full powered low beams but if you are just turning the truck on in the daylight your getting the DRL's. the drls have to be disabled or else they will blow the hid's. also you will probably need a relay for them to work properly.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:34 PM
yeah if im thinking correctly if you turn on the lights while the truck is off you are getting the full powered low beams but if you are just turning the truck on in the daylight your getting the DRL's. the drls have to be disabled or else they will blow the hid's.
Yeah I think you are on to something. I installed HID's on my last Honda civic. The day time running light would come on as the high beam until I manually turned my lights on. Then high beam work when I turned on the high beams.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:01 AM
Unhappy

I am taking my truck into the place where I bought the lights so they can try it! I am guessing that I may just have to kybosh the hid's and just find a brighter bulb DRL's can't be disabled in Canada so that is not an option.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:28 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Having the harness that runs directly to the battery with relays may solve your problem. The DRL's run by giving low voltage to the high beam circuit. If you get the relay harness, the DRL's will only be a "trigger" and not the power source. Unfortunately, it will mean your xenon's will be on all of the time.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:36 PM
you could just run low beams all the time...

Quick Reply: HID light problems