2009 - 2014 F-150

2010 Lariat vs Platinum

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 10:27 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
The tow mirrors eliminate the blind spots completely. No reason not to trust them. Have someone walk from way behind the truck all the way up to the mirror. If you have the tow mirrors (properly adjusted) you'll never lose sight of them. Worth every penny.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SoonerTruck
The tow mirrors eliminate the blind spots completely. No reason not to trust them. Have someone walk from way behind the truck all the way up to the mirror. If you have the tow mirrors (properly adjusted) you'll never lose sight of them. Worth every penny.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rambo
Just go to http://www.fordvehicles.com and go to the F-150 site. Click on specs. Then click on "Download Specifications."

Includes all LARIAT features, plus:

EXTERIOR: PLATINUM badges; body-color front/rear
bumpers and wheel-lip moldings; Satin-finish grille
surround with chrome mesh insert; chrome front tow
hooks (4x4); chrome door handles; power-deployable
running boards; power-fold, heated sideview mirrors
with memory, chrome caps, integrated turn-signal
indicators, security approach lamps and auto-dimming
driver-side feature; bright bodyside accent moldings;
high-gloss Black B-pillar appliqué; chrome exhaust tip;
satin-finish tailgate appliqué; rain-sensing windshield
wipers; 20" polished-aluminum wheels

INTERIOR: Unique leather-trimmed, 10-way power,
heated and cooled front bucket seats; heated unique
leather-trimmed 60/40 split one-touch fold-up rear
seat with folding armrest; unique leather-wrapped
steering wheel with real wood insert, power tilt
column and memory; unique brushed-aluminum
appliqué on center panel and console; Sony AM/
FM stereo/6-disc in-dash CD changer with MP3
capability and speed-compensated volume control;
visors with lighted, covered vanity mirrors and
Universal Garage Door Opener; front flow-through
console with unique leather-trimmed lid; unique scuff
plates and instrument cluster face; Reverse Sensing
System; Rear View Camera; Ambient Lighting

It will also have a special noise reducing windshield to keep the noise outside and some other stuff not listed here...
Thanks Rambo for posting the Platinum package - I too have an '09 Platinum and it was well worth the diff in price to me...and for an identically equipped Lariat to add the Platinum package wasn't anywhere near $9K...was more like $3K(IIRC). The OP must be looking at a fairly stripped Lariat compared to a loaded Platinum

Old 12-29-2009, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by HotLap
Thanks Rambo for posting the Platinum package - I too have an '09 Platinum and it was well worth the diff in price to me...and for an identically equipped Lariat to add the Platinum package wasn't anywhere near $9K...was more like $3K(IIRC). The OP must be looking at a fairly stripped Lariat compared to a loaded Platinum
How I arrived at the $9k difference was by looking at http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/f150/pricing/

The F150 Lariat is $32180
The Platinum is $41050

I was looking at an un-optioned Lariat vs an un-optioned Platinum. I wanted to know what the additional cash got me. Then I was going to see what these add-ons (that I wanted) would cost to include them in the Lariat. If it bumped the price close to a Platinum, I would just get a Platinum. Didn't mean to cause confusion.

I'm going to check out a Platinum when I get back in town. I'm visiting in Vegas at the moment. I wish that sales tax credit would extend a few more days. I hate making rush decisions.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by MarkY
How I arrived at the $9k difference was by looking at http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/f150/pricing/

The F150 Lariat is $32180
The Platinum is $41050

I was looking at an un-optioned Lariat vs an un-optioned Platinum. I wanted to know what the additional cash got me. Then I was going to see what these add-ons (that I wanted) would cost to include them in the Lariat. If it bumped the price close to a Platinum, I would just get a Platinum. Didn't mean to cause confusion.

I'm going to check out a Platinum when I get back in town. I'm visiting in Vegas at the moment. I wish that sales tax credit would extend a few more days. I hate making rush decisions.

MarkY - I hear you...trouble is that I don't think you can get a Platinum other than pretty much fully loaded...I do believe the Nav and Premimum Sound systems are still optional on the Platinum (but they are very nice to have if it's in the cards for you). Good luck and be sure and post pics when you get your new truck. If you are going to keep this truck a while, consider the Platinum - I still feel like I'm driving a brand new truck even after almost a year...really enjoy the NAV/Sound/Synch integrated systems...was just uploading my fav CD's to the Jukebox (hard drive) and creating playlists last night...great feature for sure

Old 12-29-2009, 01:13 PM
For me it all came down to color limitations. I had to get the Platinum to get the grey interior, but then I had to settle with the exterior color. I do like the lighter wood grain and gages on the Lariat. The cost difference is about $3000.00.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:03 PM
A nicely equipped Lariat is a fine F150. But if you want lots of bells and lots of whistles, then the Platinum is it. That's a pretty simple explanation. You can order a Lariat equipped with some options and not other options whereas the Platinum has limited options since the standard equipment is so encompassing.

Compare the quality of the leather between the Lariat and the Platinum. There's a difference in the styling of the seat covers between the two lines and in my opinion, the leather in the Platinum feels softer. It's a qualitative assessment - you may not agree.

Also, the weight of the extra equipment the Platinum carries reduces available payload capacity. The Lariat should have a slightly larger capacity given it carries less equipment.

Platinum comes in monotone paint treatment; Lariat comes with chrome bumpers standard or painted ones with the two-tone paint option.

Which of the two lines catches your eyes the most?

Old 12-29-2009, 04:22 PM
I'm going to check the Platinum tomorrow when I get back to Phoenix. I have the X-Plan and $4500 in rebates.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by shotgunz
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Ditto here - LOVE those big "dumbo ear" tow mirrors!!

Just took delivery today on a Lariat SC with the max tow and tow mirrors that are great - the large spot mirrors make it really clear to see on both sides of the truck. I can probably back this truck down the road better than I can drive it!!

Got most of the features of the Platinum except for the painted bumpers (no stone chips to touch up on chrome) and that Platinum grill which didn't look like a truck grill to me. The Lariat's chrome bumpers with the chrome tubular side steps and 20" aluminum wheels were more to our liking. (and it does have heated and cooled captains chairs).

Already have the vent visors, just need to get wheel locks, floor mats, etc. etc . . .

Old 12-29-2009, 11:33 PM
I think every vehicle made should come with the dual mirrors like the tow mirrors have. They could mold the fish-eye into the lower 1/3 of normal mirrors and elliminate a lot of lane change wrecks. Oh well, not like half of drivers actually look in their mirrors anyway.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:21 AM
I have figured out a couple things lately....one is for Max Towing on the Platinum (and maybe others) you need to select the 3.73, otherwise you dont get the full package:
Includes:
• Trailer brake controller
• Upgraded rear bumper
• Class IV trailer hitch receiver
• Seven-pin wiring harness
• Upgraded radiator
• Auxiliary transmission oil cooler
• Upgraded rear springs (with 18-inch wheels only)
• Heavy-duty front eye bushing
• 20:1 steering gear ratio

Old 12-30-2009, 01:31 PM
What exactly is the "upgraded rear bumper"?

Old 12-30-2009, 07:37 PM
I think every vehicle made should come with the dual mirrors like the tow mirrors have. They could mold the fish-eye into the lower 1/3 of normal mirrors and elliminate a lot of lane change wrecks. Oh well, not like half of drivers actually look in their mirrors anyway.
Lane change wrecks would almost never happen if people actually set their SIDE-view mirrors properly.

They should be set to always see to the SIDE of your vehicle, NOT to the rear. That's what your REAR-view mirror is for. That comment scares me because it assumes that people don't see to the sides because their side-view mirror's don't catch the sides, just the rear. They should NEVER be set to look to the rear, but I have found that a LOT of people do this, which makes no safety sense at all.

***Sit in driver's seat as normal. Lean to right, set right side-view so that you can just see right side of your vehicle. Lean to left, set left side-view so you can just see left side of your vehicle. Now center yourself back in driver seat. Looking to right and left, you should see easily to both sides of your vehicle, without actually seeing the side of your vehicle at all. Perfection!*** (If necessary while doing an unusual turn/back up/maneuver, you can lean a bit to either side and see to either side of your vehicle but also see the actual side of your vehicle for a point of reference.)

Very scary.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:54 PM
Not disagreeing with you Comet, but the fish eye just eliminates the issue altogether.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:26 AM
Another thing to keep in mind on the differance between a Platinum and a Lariat will be the resale value. My dealer believes from what he is seeing at the auction on the 2009 models I will come close to getting back the extra $3000.00 I paid for the Platinum when it comes time to trade because the demand for a used Platinum will be higher the the demand for a used Larait.

The main reasons I chose the Platinum was
1.The Wheel style
2.The Interior color
3.One exterior color with painted bumpers

Quick Reply: 2010 Lariat vs Platinum