2009 - 2014 F-150

2009 F150 Vibration and Road Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 01:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MZLDR i have the same set up as yourself. the 20 in. pirells and have no issues at all and i run them at 35 psi i think if you have the press fault light coming on i would think that you have a sensor problem what type of tire press gauge are you using . HAMMER 40 give your truck a little time to break in the ride will smooth out and you have a 4x4 and it will give you a stiffer ride remember these are trucks and you can always upgrade your shocks my self like the bilstein shocks and they are out for our trucks now.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by jetech00001
MZLDR i have the same set up as yourself. the 20 in. pirells and have no issues at all and i run them at 35 psi i think if you have the press fault light coming on i would think that you have a sensor problem what type of tire press gauge are you using . HAMMER 40 give your truck a little time to break in the ride will smooth out and you have a 4x4 and it will give you a stiffer ride remember these are trucks and you can always upgrade your shocks my self like the bilstein shocks and they are out for our trucks now.
Thanks Jetech, I'm getting used to the change. Got about 500 miles on it now. Do the shocks help quite a bit? What are the model numbers for them?

Thanks,

Jeff

Old 04-12-2010, 02:35 PM
JEFF check out www.shox.com and put in your info and it will tell which ones will work for you or give them a call and hope things are smoothing out for ya.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:50 AM
JEFF check out www.shox.com and put in your info and it will tell which ones will work for you or give them a call and hope things are smoothing out for ya.
Thanks, I absolutely love this truck and will have to get used to the change. I"m just curious if everything I'm experiencing is normal. It's like the truck is "jittery" not just rough riding. Everything shakes very fast inside the cab. Kinda weird.

-Jeff

Old 04-13-2010, 02:05 AM
hammer40 what you describe is not normal what tire press are you running in your tires. i run 35 psi in mine as ford recommends my truck is a 2wd look on the drivers door panel it will give you the recommended pressure if high it will give you a poor ride.

Last edited by jetech00001; 04-13-2010 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:56 AM
I have the xlt screw with the 18's and michelin tires and it rides smooth as silk. I have no noise or vibration issues.My 05 had a vibration issue between 45-50 mph. I just got used to it. It was a good truck too.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:12 PM
The only vibration I have is one I can hear in the cab, I think front center somewhere. It only happens when the truck has sat overnight, or on the longer days at work. It appears only below 55-60 mph, around 1700-1800 rpm. It is annoying to say the least, most of all when I'm in traffic, moving at that speed that keeps me in this vibes "sweet" spot. Dealer can't reproduce it.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:16 AM
hammer40 what you describe is not normal what tire press are you running in your tires. i run 35 psi in mine as ford recommends my truck is a 2wd look on the drivers door panel it will give you the recommended pressure if high it will give you a poor ride.
I haven't checked the pressure since it came off the lot. They are the stock Goodyear 18" tires. It's not really a vibration, more like jittery. The passenger seat shakes and my beverage bottle rattle in the holders. There are times when everything is calm, freeway is ok.

Could it be the Revtek lift? It is the 2" version.

How long does it take for these trucks to settle in? Could the ride mellow out with some more time? I have 600 miles on it now?

Thanks,

Jeff

Old 04-15-2010, 12:27 AM
my lariat does the same things with the 20's for about 5 minutes in the morning, after the tires get warmed up its fine, it's not an issue but i was concerned as well...pretty sure its just the way things are....

Old 11-03-2010, 10:53 PM
road bounce

I have had road bounce on the freeway since I bought the truck. The dealer took me out in another one and it did the exact same thing. I have changed tires and it is still there. Does anyone have a fix because the dealer says it isn't a problem, that is how they are supposed to perform.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by Frenchiee
I have mine at the dealer with the same issues. they told me this morning there is a recall on the driveshaft bearing. Funny though you have the same rims and rubber that I have. I told them to fix it or shove it up their ***. I had and 08 and have only had this truck a week. Not Right. Did you get this resovled?

Let me know

Thanks
I too have the box shake and vibration.

I've had the tires balanced and its still there.

I've been leary of this hanger bearing since I looked at the truck the day I bought it.

Anymore info on this would be awsome..

Old 11-08-2010, 03:16 PM
So the vibration drove me to the point to try something...

At first i jammed wood chips into the hanger bearing vibration damper.

There are slits to soften up the rubber that I believe to be too soft..

It took 50% of my vibration away.

I just finished cutting up pieces of an old truck bed mat to fit in the slits of damper...

Its even stiffer now. I'll try it and let you know if its gone.

A lot of threads I read about this topic people say its feels like wash board or road bumps.

Its there, and then it isn't...

I believe this is what starts the vibration... Its so sloppy when you hit a bump it throws the drive shaft into a speed wobble if you will..

Old 11-08-2010, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by biggoldie
So the vibration drove me to the point to try something...

At first i jammed wood chips into the hanger bearing vibration damper.

There are slits to soften up the rubber that I believe to be too soft..

It took 50% of my vibration away.

I just finished cutting up pieces of an old truck bed mat to fit in the slits of damper...

Its even stiffer now. I'll try it and let you know if its gone.

A lot of threads I read about this topic people say its feels like wash board or road bumps.

Its there, and then it isn't...

I believe this is what starts the vibration... Its so sloppy when you hit a bump it throws the drive shaft into a speed wobble if you will..
Where is the bearing hanger located? I would like to try this fix as well.

Thanks, Jeff

Old 11-08-2010, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by hammer40
Where is the bearing hanger located? I would like to try this fix as well.

Thanks, Jeff
Same here...a pic wold even be that much better

Old 11-08-2010, 03:58 PM
Crawl under the truck on the passenger side and locate the drive shaft.

Follow it up from the diff the the hanger bearing.

Grab the shaft and wiggle it....You will notice the play in the rubber damper that surrounds the bearing.

Look and see that there are slits in the rubber...

I filled them with pieces of an old bed mat...I used the rubber at its thickest point of 1/8" - 3/16"

I then filled as many of the slits to make the damper stiffer...

Try it, It definatly helps, but its not entirly gone...

I notice my bed doesn't shake like crazy in the mirror. (it did before)

If you manage to get all the play out of that damper...you may have a fix.

Until ****ing ford can come up with a revised hanger bearing.....

Quick Reply: 2009 F150 Vibration and Road Noise