2009 - 2014 F-150

2009 F150 Vibration and Road Noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 04:44 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mxracer49
Has anyone that has the shaking problems had the driveshaft checked? Maybe Ford had a bad run of shafts. Just a thought.
hmmmmm isn't that something!

Old 11-11-2010, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by biggoldie
Crawl under the truck on the passenger side and locate the drive shaft.

Follow it up from the diff the the hanger bearing.

Grab the shaft and wiggle it....You will notice the play in the rubber damper that surrounds the bearing.

Look and see that there are slits in the rubber...

I filled them with pieces of an old bed mat...I used the rubber at its thickest point of 1/8" - 3/16"

I then filled as many of the slits to make the damper stiffer...

Try it, It definatly helps, but its not entirly gone...

I notice my bed doesn't shake like crazy in the mirror. (it did before)

If you manage to get all the play out of that damper...you may have a fix.

Until ****ing ford can come up with a revised hanger bearing.....
Thanks, I'll try this.

-Jeff

Old 11-11-2010, 10:53 AM
I finally got my truck into ford.

They can't put a finger on what it is exactly.

Tuesday I have an appointment for them to attempt a new pinion angle.

I hope it works.

For there sake.

Who wants spend $$ on a new truck to have it vibrate with no answers....???

Old 01-18-2011, 07:56 PM
Any updates on this? I have a slight bed bounce when on the highway and hit small bumps..

Old 01-18-2011, 09:03 PM
I still haven't been back yet.

They are blaming my tires..

Which are brand new duratracs.

I got a road force balance and one was found to have a runout of .25...not much..

I've rotated them and still no change.. it comes from the back..

I don't think its the tires...

I'm waiting till spring to put my summer tires on, and if it still does it, its going back.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:33 PM
I have it too. My 2010 scab does the jitter at speeds of 45 up usually. Usually it starts out smooth and then after about 15 minutes it starts. Some days it doesn't do it at all. Temperature does not affect it as far as i can tell. See the bed shake in the side mirror. Smooth road its more noticeable. I very rarely get any transmission clunk and the truck is perfect besides this. Tires are goodyears sra on 18s. One piece drive shaft.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:47 PM
I still haven't been back yet.

They are blaming my tires..

Which are brand new duratracs.

I got a road force balance and one was found to have a runout of .25...not much..

I've rotated them and still no change.. it comes from the back..

I don't think its the tires...

I'm waiting till spring to put my summer tires on, and if it still does it, its going back.
Hey Goldie....i'd be interested in your outcome when you put your spring tires on. You mentioned that your Duratraks were brand new...but in all honesty...that doenst mean anything. I had BRAND new Grabber AT2's and they shock the truck ab out 5o mph. I got them Road Force balanced, and they indexed the tires correctly, gave it back to me...it was a little better, but still had the exact same shake. After putting 2000 miles on the tires...i got all 4 of them warrantied out. Once I got my new (same exact tire models) the truck drove like it was on glass. Ended up being defective tires.

Old 01-23-2011, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by Timelessr1
Hey Goldie....i'd be interested in your outcome when you put your spring tires on. You mentioned that your Duratraks were brand new...but in all honesty...that doenst mean anything. I had BRAND new Grabber AT2's and they shock the truck ab out 5o mph. I got them Road Force balanced, and they indexed the tires correctly, gave it back to me...it was a little better, but still had the exact same shake. After putting 2000 miles on the tires...i got all 4 of them warrantied out. Once I got my new (same exact tire models) the truck drove like it was on glass. Ended up being defective tires.

I appreciate the reply.

I'm pretty sure its the tires too.

I talked to the guy I bought them off...And that was pointless..

He's old school and said road force balance is over priced and there is nothing wrong with the tires...

So I'll go to another dealer...

I will definatly post when I get results..

Old 01-23-2011, 08:34 PM
Mine has a vibration between 35 and 45. Took it into the dealer twice. The first time they had to "special order" the parts. Shim kit, center bearing, u-joints and bolts. Never heard from them after a month and I finally called to check on the parts. Somehow they appeared, no explanation as to why I wasn't notified.

Anyway....they had the truck for 3 days, replaced 2 of the 3 u-joints, installed the shim kit to change the drive line angle and supposedly replaced the center bearing. I'm still trying to figure out why you would only replace 2 of 3 u joints when you already have the drive shaft out. At any rate the vibration is still there. Mind you, it's a lot less than it was but I still think more can be done to solve this problem. They informed me it will vibrate because it's only an XL and does not have the added reinforcements that the higher end trucks have. What a crock! I'm going to take it to another dealer and if nothing there I'm going to take it to a driveline shop.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:36 PM
I just had all 4 of my tires road force balanced and it took some of the bounce away but i still get it right at 45mph but not as bad as it was before.

I think it has something to do with the leaf springs, I had my 4 wheeler loaded up this weekend and drove about 30 miles and didnt have any shake or bounce at all. So I at my leaf pack with the 4 wheeler in the bed and noticed that the bottom leaf that has the rubber pads on them was compressed and touching the leaf above it.. I wonder it that shorter leaf is the problem..

Old 01-24-2011, 12:58 AM
If you had bought a platinum with all the reinforcements they would of told you it was the massaging vibra ride suspension package.

I hope someone figures it out. Lots of good ideas from you guys much better then some of the ideas i had heard. Such as it goes away if you fill the tires with nitrogen. Which of course they come nitrogen filled. Till we find out I will be searching to see if i can make some extra money using my truck bed to shake paint and martinis.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:05 AM
Well men....

Vibration is gone...

It was my brand new 265/70/17duratracs...

I ended up buying four new Goodyear Wrangler Territories...

They are made by Goodyear for the Canadian Tire chain...

I've had them before and they are great tires..

I went to a size of 245/70/17..

A lot smaller...but my truck doesn't vibrate.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:07 PM
Well men....

Vibration is gone...

It was my brand new 265/70/17duratracs...

I ended up buying four new Goodyear Wrangler Territories...

They are made by Goodyear for the Canadian Tire chain...

I've had them before and they are great tires..

I went to a size of 245/70/17..

A lot smaller...but my truck doesn't vibrate.
Awesome! Congrats! i was shocked when I learned how many defective tires make it out of the tire manufacture's factories. If a tire manufacture needs to make more profit sometimes, they will actually let out a higher amount of defects which are close to the % in error to recoupe some of their costs. They know they are going to get someof those back, but they are hoping that when installed, their "defectiveness" wont be noticed when driven, and therefore more money in their pocket. Its a business!

Old 01-28-2011, 12:42 PM
I'm going to take the time and explain why I thought it was the truck, and not the tires...

And how this was resolved..

When I got the truck, I immediatly replaced the stock tires with a 265/70/17 Hercules all trac....They were a far better tire than the stock and the price was right...

After I got them put on, I noticed a "slight" shimmy...I figured it was a ****ty balance job and figured I'd live with it until I got my snow tire(Duratracs) put on to clear it up..

With the hercs... The shimmy was minimal...Nothing serious at all...Like I had a bit of snow in my tires or something...

The Duratracs were terrible...I balanced them 3 times all coming back perfect each time, even on the road force... Still no difference.

So I started to blame the truck.... After all the carry on, I figured I'd sell the Duratracs while I had a buyer, and put on my new current tires which are the Goodyear Territories at a size of 245/70/17...

No shimmy. Truck is smooth as glass...Even with the aggressive tread pattern.

Here is what lead me to wing it, and try new tires...

I stopped into another ford dealer (Alliston, Ont) and he told me he's seen tires balance perfect and make a car/truck ride like ****..

He told me they were to wide for the rim, and when I built speed the tire was deforming by the side walls pulling the tread from the road...

I took his word for it...And he was right....The Duratracs look perfectly fine and are perfectly fine...I had them go over them...

So its just a bad combo...

Both 265/70 tires mad my truck have a shimmy....The duratracs were the worst because of there aggressive pattern..

Anyway, I hope all you feller's can get your truck smoothed out...

Good luck.

Last edited by redtherocket; 01-28-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:49 PM
Mine does this from time to time. I also have a noise from the front. Actually when its cold outside, but mine is just a dash noise. when i push down on it, it stops. Nothing that drives me crazy. The traction control is stupid in 4x4. the only plus to this TC is on slick surface if you were not paying attention i think it makes it harder to slide sideways.

Quick Reply: 2009 F150 Vibration and Road Noise