2009 - 2014 F-150

2009 F150 Vibration and Road Noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009 | 11:20 AM
|
2009 F150 Vibration and Road Noise

Hi Everyone-
I am looking to see if anyone else is having the same issues as me with respects to road noise, and vibration.

I have a 2009 F150 Lariat SC with 20" Rims and the Pirelli ATR tires. The truck now has 2200 miles on it. Pretty much since the day I picked it up from the dealer, I noticed what feels like out of balance tires vibrating while traveling on the highway. The vibration is bad enough, that when I glance at the passenger seat (unloaded) I notice the seat shaking. The dealer claims that all the trucks with 20's and Pirelli wheel combination do this. Anyone else having this issue?? As a result, the claimed "quieter" cab is not nearly as quiet as my 2007 F150 that I traded.

Also, I noticed that the transmission seems to surge at slow speeds. Anyone else notice this??

And lastly, during what seems to be isolated to colder days, I get a "rattle" in the front end. Sounds is consistent with loose ties rods or sway bars.

I have brought all these issues to my dealer's attention and they are performing a high speed balance on the wheels, but claim all the other issues are consistent how the truck is supposed to perform.

Other than the above listed issues, great truck with lots of bells and whistles.
I appreciate any feedback offered.

Old 12-28-2009 | 11:46 AM
Haven't seen many people post that they have the vibration issues with the 2009 and 2010 F150s. This was a HUGE issue with 2004 through 2008 though. The only way I could get the Pirellis on my 2008 to balance was to drive for about 20 miles on the highway (at around 70 MPH) and immediately take the truck for a Road Force Balance at Discount Tire. Driving for several miles helps to elimate flat spots. This is needed when performing a road force balance, but it seems that Ford dealerships can't figure this out. Some of my local Discount Tire locations apparently have a "Hunter" brand balance machine that is MUCH better than others. My Ford stealership here tried about 10 times to balance my 2008's tires and couldn't get it right. What ever they do, don't let them start replacing parts in your truck's front end just for an out of balance tire, been there, done that.

Old 12-28-2009 | 11:49 AM
same things

I have noticed the same things at times. Seems to run a bit rough. even on the same roads. One time it will seem smooth, next time it will be rough. The kids car seat base in the back jumps a bit on some drives into work?? Doesnt seem as quiet as my 05 actually. The shifting from what I heard or looking for gears. Is common at this mileage. I am at about the same mileage as you. I heard the truck will get better after about 5k miles. It has to get used to your driving habits?? Just what I heard. How do you like your Traction control? I think that is a ********** joke!! Got stuck in my driveway the other day. That TC kept kicking in and I got nowhere. Then when I put it in 4x4Lo "which is not supposed to have TC it jerked and didnt help me out either. Not real sure if I am sold on this truck yet.

Last edited by Rucraz2; 12-28-2009 at 11:51 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 12-28-2009 | 12:06 PM
Technical Article Contributor

When I drive to work in the morning I leave a heated garage and drive a good five miles to the freeway, and the pirellies do not bounce, but when I return home the truck has been sitting out side all day, and I'm on the freeway in about a mile, and the pirellies bounce every day for a mile or two on a flat spot.

Old 12-28-2009 | 07:28 PM
Unhappy

No vibration, no flat spots. But this truck isn't as quiet as they claim. Creaks n squeeks, pops n creaks all over inside, and I own a Platinum. Can't figure where they are coming from, though they all seem to come from the door areas. Maybe the doors themselves have poor seals or something, not enough to leak, but enough to cause weird creaky's at every little minor bump or rut in the road.

Old 12-28-2009 | 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by CometFlash
No vibration, no flat spots. But this truck isn't as quiet as they claim. Creaks n squeeks, pops n creaks all over inside, and I own a Platinum. Can't figure where they are coming from, though they all seem to come from the door areas. Maybe the doors themselves have poor seals or something, not enough to leak, but enough to cause weird creaky's at every little minor bump or rut in the road.
CF i had this issue and figured out what i had done. I use a high end plastic and vinyl spray cleaner on all my surfaces and i didn't use the conditioner on the stuff after i cleaned them. The dam truck creaked and knocked and cracked for about the first 20 mins until it warmed up. Then the last time i cleaned her i used the conditioner and she has no more noise. Seems the plastic drys out after using a cleaner and stays dry until conditioner is used. Try some next time you do a full clean and see if it helps. Also make sure you use a conditioner on the leather especially between the 2 seats in the rear as they make awful noise also when dry.

Old 12-28-2009 | 08:01 PM
I just picked up my F-150 SCREW Lariat last Wednesday. I love the truck but noticed today that there is a noticeable vibration on the highway above about 50 mph. I did not want the 20's but the dealer wouldn't changed to 18's. I'll be dropping by to offer them a test ride to see what the issue is.

Old 12-28-2009 | 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by Barritia
CF i had this issue and figured out what i had done. I use a high end plastic and vinyl spray cleaner on all my surfaces and i didn't use the conditioner on the stuff after i cleaned them. The dam truck creaked and knocked and cracked for about the first 20 mins until it warmed up. Then the last time i cleaned her i used the conditioner and she has no more noise. Seems the plastic drys out after using a cleaner and stays dry until conditioner is used. Try some next time you do a full clean and see if it helps. Also make sure you use a conditioner on the leather especially between the 2 seats in the rear as they make awful noise also when dry.
Thanks, I'll try that when Spring hits; too cold right now. I haven't complained too much about it really because I'm still thinking I'll get a 2011 with the new Eco engine and call it a day from buying F-150's every time they re-do them, getting too expensive. Hopefully by then any kinks will be worked out of the new design, although to be honest there are very very few compared to 2004. This truck is built really well other than the noises that drive me crazy in a 50k vehicle. I'd just like some better MPG, and the heated rear window is something I always wanted. Figure I'll order one a few months before my wedding in June '11, drive up and take some pics in my new girl, with my girl. Then again, everything is dependant on the stock market, where I have most of my money, which right now is practically worthless with the tanking of the market. It's gotta get better soon... I keep telling myself.

Old 12-29-2009 | 12:15 AM
Originally Posted by Fargo
I just picked up my F-150 SCREW Lariat last Wednesday. I love the truck but noticed today that there is a noticeable vibration on the highway above about 50 mph. I did not want the 20's but the dealer wouldn't changed to 18's. I'll be dropping by to offer them a test ride to see what the issue is.
I'm having a vibration problem with the 18" Goodyear Wranglers on mine. Vibration comes and goes. I can feel it mostly on the gas pedal and floor. It's a small vibration that's just enough to e felt in my leg. It gets much better when I reduce tire pressure by 5 lbs. Going in on wed for my second road force balance at the dealer.

Old 12-29-2009 | 01:33 AM
i have the 20 in. pirellis and have 9000 mi on the truck i have no vibration and i have let the truck sit for up to a week and no flat spots i still amazed how smooth and quiet this truck is. i run 36 psi front and back well its a little warmer in calif its possible that some of the problem could be mud or ice build up on the wheel causing an out of blance condition

Old 12-29-2009 | 07:10 AM
I have a 09 SC XLT and have fought the bounce for nearly a year. I have 17 inch wheels and Michelin A/S tires.. It is like the bed oscillates when you hit a slight bump and then has to settle down.. I drove 6 F150s and they ALL did this, its just a characteristic of the truck and I think most people dont pay it any mind.. With weight in the bed, it is much attenuated. I did have the road force balance done and it did help...After I drive it for a few days, Im used to it and forget about it....

Old 12-29-2009 | 05:11 PM
the only noise i'm getting is my front passenger window is shacking and driving me insane..and who ever is sitting there always makes a comment, anyone getting the same issuse. I have a 09 XLT Screw power windows

Old 12-29-2009 | 08:26 PM
Vibration

Have a 2009 with stock michelin tires and rims. 4900 current miles purchased at the end of September new with 5 miles on it. Put in the shop November 2. It is still in the shop. Ford repalcing it. Not such a grand deal as I have been making the payments and the rentals they provided are POS's. Now I have to pay the mileage that I previously put on the truck. Thought thats what the monthly payments were for.

Vibrations was between 65 and 70 and consistent hot or cold. Engineers looked at the issue, replaced tranny, rear end, drive shaft, and other part without a solution. According to the service department and Ford the problem cannot be fixed.

Old 12-29-2009 | 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by Anthony09F150
the only noise i'm getting is my front passenger window is shacking and driving me insane..and who ever is sitting there always makes a comment, anyone getting the same issuse. I have a 09 XLT Screw power windows
I'm almost 100% one of my most annoying noises is coming from the driver's window. I find if I roll it down just a tad, the noise seems to go away. WTH is that all about? If it's rolled up tight like normal, noise returns.

Old 12-30-2009 | 11:22 AM
Kilo, I don't have any vibrations however I did notice this morning (first time I have heard this sound) a slight chatter from the front left of the truck. This is also the first time my truck has been completely covered in ice and snow. My truck sits in the driveway and it was minus 20 last night. I will be going out later today so hopefully the chatter is gone and is a result of some ice being wedged in the suspension.

One thing that helped quiet my interior down (not that it was loud) was adding more insulation to the rear wall of the cab. I did this originally for acoustics as recommended by the guys on the stereo forum here. I taped one of my vents as well, and am tempted to cover half of the other one. The cab is quiet to start with but this does help a tad. I did this while installing my amp on a piece of MDF board.

Quick Reply: 2009 F150 Vibration and Road Noise