2009 - 2014 F-150

'09 Free Play in Steering

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 03:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 Free Play in Steering

My '09 seems to me to have too much free play [compared to my '03] .Is that adjustable ?

Old 12-31-2009, 04:34 PM
That is why i traded in my 99 xlt with 240K miles on it, on a new one. everything was far from prom night :-)
new gear box at 199K and another at 202K due to manuf failure.

new truck 09-plat has about 21K on it. it will be a year old in 2 months. i have the heavy tow package with the 16 to 1 steering ratio. Maybe im way too picky. but when i first got the truck. i could steer with one hand. even in windy conditions and it was always where i told it to go. Now not so much.

I plan on getting it alinged ( 2nd time ) after most of the craters are repaired.

i still love the truck however.

everyone have a safe new years.

Old 12-31-2009, 07:02 PM
YES...my '09 Platinum is slowly getting worse. When I'm backing out of the driveway, I can feel play in the steering when I hit the driveway "bump" and other times when I'm just starting off and turning quickly...I didn't notice this when it was brand new and it seems to be getting worse. It feels exactly like when my 2000 Mustang GT's tilt steering wheel coupling (small "U joint" at the top of the steering column so the steering wheel can tilt) gave out and there was lot's of slop in the steering. The dealer couldn't find it so I disassembled the entire steering column (shrouds, etc.) to find it. Showed it to the dealer and sure enough it was the culprit for the play in the steering. I posted about this several weeks ago and didn't get much feedback so I've been waiting to see if it will get worse or not....This particular issue would probably only be in the F-150's with the steering wheel tilt mechanism (not the manual steering column tilt). I suspect the steering wheel "coupling" is too light duty for a truck with 4x4 and 20's, etc. that I imagine would put more stress into the steering column components.....

Old 12-31-2009, 09:27 PM
Question

I did a side by side comparison with my '03 with fairly new Coopers vs '09 with new OEM Hankooks.With both vehicles parked there seems to be the same play to start the tires turning but on the road the difference is noticable . Tires ? I have less than 1,000 miles on the '09 and the Coopers perhaps 6,000 miles.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:26 PM
My Platinum's steering is slowly getting worse. I'm at 6,000 miles and it's getting harder and harder to turn. Just like you did, I remember when I could drive with one finger even on a windy day. What to do about it? Anything?

Quick Reply: '09 Free Play in Steering