2009 - 2014 F-150

'09 XLT OEM Rear Camera Project Help Needed!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 02:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 XLT OEM Rear Camera Project Help Needed!!!!

Really new to this forum but have read countless threads on installation of the reverse camera and Mirror. I have been in contact with Domenic at Tasca who has been a great help indeed, but has since been stumped aswell. Now i have installed both back and headliner harnesses and have confirmed that main harness has no brown/yellow & brown wires. I have run new RCA wires to the back indepently so i can have video feed (mirror harness brown/yellow & brown to the rear harness Brown/yellow & brown) and reconnected the tailgate camera harness. once completed i reconnected everything to see if all worked, but what do you know still a blue screen once i put it in reverse. Can someone please help I'm trying to figure this out and have reached a point that i cant turn back. I did read a forum to that stated the exact same thing i did and everything worked......What am i missing here..... please help.

99SiR

Old 01-02-2010, 12:49 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by 99sir
Really new to this forum but have read countless threads on installation of the reverse camera and Mirror. I have been in contact with Domenic at Tasca who has been a great help indeed, but has since been stumped aswell. Now i have installed both back and headliner harnesses and have confirmed that main harness has no brown/yellow & brown wires. I have run new RCA wires to the back indepently so i can have video feed (mirror harness brown/yellow & brown to the rear harness Brown/yellow & brown) and reconnected the tailgate camera harness. once completed i reconnected everything to see if all worked, but what do you know still a blue screen once i put it in reverse. Can someone please help I'm trying to figure this out and have reached a point that i cant turn back. I did read a forum to that stated the exact same thing i did and everything worked......What am i missing here..... please help.

99SiR
yea Domenic emailed me the other day about ur issue. i have an 08 and my wires were in the main harness. all i had to do was tap into them at the rear and add new harness up front.

as for blue screen, it is kinda like at home, blue screen means no video. have you checked your power and ground to the camera? reverse turn-on? if you have the 09 wire diagram, email me a copy to labman1014 at msn dot com and i will look it over. my 08 uses a different wire color so i need to see what else is different.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:18 AM
Let me know if you need diagrams and I may be able to help....

Old 01-02-2010, 08:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know about your truck, but when I installed the rear camera in my 2009 F-50 Lariat with Sony Nav, I had to have the Ford Dealer re-program my radio to accept teh camera. I don't know how it is for the mirror screens. Just a thought.

Old 01-02-2010, 01:38 PM
Responses much appreciated. Labman1014, I've replaced the harness in the back which I believe has all the connections required to power camera on (I think).....

Dark Wizard... Which diagrams are u able to give....I believe this forum has all diagrams....Not sure though if your is different.

trk35... I don't have Nav (wish i did...)but reading through all forums i don't think the mirrors require programming.(I'll find out though)

Old 01-02-2010, 01:58 PM
Labman1014, as mentioned in original post blue screen repairs i read went away when you connect them directly with RCA's... if this is the case and the harness replacement was a waste then what do you think about going direct to main camera harness. Red 12V+ to reverse lights hot.... ground to white wire of 7pin towing plug.... White = Video + which connects to Mirror wire ???? Green = Video - which wires to mirror wire ???.......If I go direct to the camera harness do i still tap into the mirror harness brown/yellow & Brown wires.

thanks in advanced
99SiR

Old 01-02-2010, 02:01 PM
Not sure if all the diagrams are there but I have a friend who has the AllData bundle and has everything for our trucks so just wanted to let you know if anything was missing from the ones here I can supply them....

Edit: Just in case...

Last edited by Dark_Wizard; 01-02-2010 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by 99sir
Responses much appreciated. Labman1014, I've replaced the harness in the back which I believe has all the connections required to power camera on (I think).....

Dark Wizard... Which diagrams are u able to give....I believe this forum has all diagrams....Not sure though if your is different.

trk35... I don't have Nav (wish i did...)but reading through all forums i don't think the mirrors require programming.(I'll find out though)
just replacing the harness doesnt give you power and ground to the camera. you need make sure that the wires for power and ground in the new harness are in the harness that is already in ur truck. like in mine, the Video wires were in the main harness but i had to find the power and ground that the camera uses. use the diagram Dark posted and find the connector at the end of the tailgate harness and make sure there is power and ground.

as for using different power and ground, i wouldnt unless it is the last resort. i think with the diagram, you should be able to find the ones Ford uses OEM. if i had access to and 09, it would be more help for me to help you.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:57 PM

can someone get me the connector view of "C405" for an 09, my dvd only goes to 08. i need to see if there is a power wire in that connector. the diagram above doesnt show the power line connectors.

also, is there a diagram that shows from the rear camera all the way to the front mirror?

Old 01-02-2010, 10:28 PM
What dates does Late production include.....(obviously current production right???)

These wiring diagrams confuse me even more guys sorry....

Could someone please explain the diagram....

thanks
sorry for sounding stupid

Last edited by 99sir; 01-02-2010 at 10:30 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:19 AM
Originally Posted by labman1014
can someone get me the connector view of "C405" for an 09, my dvd only goes to 08. i need to see if there is a power wire in that connector. the diagram above doesnt show the power line connectors.

also, is there a diagram that shows from the rear camera all the way to the front mirror?
Here are front mirror diagrams...

Still looking for C405 power connector...

Old 01-03-2010, 11:02 AM

thanks Dark, but thoses didnt help. my dvd for my 08 has the diagram from the rear camera and showed each connector all the way to the mirror. guess ford changed it. but really, thanks. and if you could find the connector C405, that will be my next bit of info needed to help him out.

and 99sir, dont worry, it was all new to me also and i felt the same way. over time you will get use to it. let me get the info i need and i will help as much as i can. i love my camera and it makes hooking up to my camper with a Hensley Arrow so much easier!!!

Old 01-04-2010, 04:52 PM
Thanks to everyone for the information. The wiring diagrams really helped. I am working now to gather the components to add the backup camera to my 10 supercrew. I am lucky as the guy who will help me install it is the hardware engineering manager for the smart junction box (SPDJB). My first question is simple. How difficult is it to swap out the headliner harness? I am nervous about dropping the headliner, especially given the fact that the truck is brand new.

Thanks

Old 01-29-2010, 02:50 PM

well 99sir, did you get it???

Quick Reply: '09 XLT OEM Rear Camera Project Help Needed!!!!