2009 - 2014 F-150

Compustar or Astrostart?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 10:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Compustar or Astrostart?

I have a 2010 Screw that I picked up last week. Living in Fargo a remote start is a necessity. My problem is finding a competent installer. Most are unaware of how to control heated seats etc. and I'm more than a little concerned with giving my truck over to some kid that won't even bother to try and call Tech Support.
The apparently most competent that I've talked to has both Compustar and Astrostart for same price etc. Those that know, which would be the preferred remote start? I am considering the 5224 Astro or Compustar 2W9000.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:45 PM
Call Travis over at KC Autosound in Kansas City. He can help you with your decision. He can prewire a system for you that will make your installation very easy.
http://kcautosound.com/Compustar-c-689.html

Old 01-01-2010, 07:43 PM
Much thanks CougarGuy. I'll drop him a line tomorrow.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:16 PM
X2 on Travis. Great guy and it took me only 3 hours to install the Ford Remote Start/Alarm System which will control the seats and rear defroster if you have one.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:11 AM
^what do you mean control the seats? Turn on the heated seats? I thought that was impossible since they are connected to the CANBUS data network? what year is your truck?

Old 01-02-2010, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by SteveVFX4
^what do you mean control the seats? Turn on the heated seats? I thought that was impossible since they are connected to the CANBUS data network? what year is your truck?
2009 and the system I used is the Ford Remote Start/Alarm Gen2 Gold. It has the hookup for the memory seats.

Last edited by Dark_Wizard; 01-02-2010 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:28 PM
^ok that's what I thought. I know the Ford systems and I have that same one on my 09 and I never bother with the memory seat hookup.

Old 01-03-2010, 05:07 PM
Compustar hands down. I have never heard of the other brand and I have heard of lots and lots of brands of alarms/remote starters.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:39 AM
Originally Posted by SteveVFX4
^ok that's what I thought. I know the Ford systems and I have that same one on my 09 and I never bother with the memory seat hookup.
I used to do the memory seat hookups when putting the Ford systems in back when they would put the buttons in the dash or in the door. I could always just grab the wires at the kick panel where I'm making my other connections. Now they have built them into the seat. What a pain in the *** to dig for them behind the button and run the wires up to them. I just tell the customer hit 1 or 2 and be happy or tell your wife. DONT TOUCH MY SEAT!!!

Old 01-17-2010, 11:31 PM
Originally Posted by KCAutosound
I used to do the memory seat hookups when putting the Ford systems in back when they would put the buttons in the dash or in the door. I could always just grab the wires at the kick panel where I'm making my other connections. Now they have built them into the seat. What a pain in the *** to dig for them behind the button and run the wires up to them. I just tell the customer hit 1 or 2 and be happy or tell your wife. DONT TOUCH MY SEAT!!!
I've never had a remote start, so I'm pleading ignorant. When I put the key in my Platinum, the seat moves and then the steering wheel comes down. When I turn the key off, the reverse happens.

How does this work with remote start? After starting the truck remotely, don't you have to insert the key when you get to the truck in order to unlock the steering column? Wouldn't all the seat/steering memory sets then activate?

Old 01-18-2010, 07:03 AM
All it does is when you remote start it moves your seat back so when you do enter the vehicle you have the room to get into the seat, once you put the key in and turn it then it goes to your seat setting....make sense?

Old 01-18-2010, 09:45 AM
Originally Posted by Dark_Wizard
All it does is when you remote start it moves your seat back so when you do enter the vehicle you have the room to get into the seat, once you put the key in and turn it then it goes to your seat setting....make sense?
Yes, it makes sense. However, my the driver's seat in my Platinum is already back from when I turned the ignition off. I don't need the remote start to do this.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by MarkY
Yes, it makes sense. However, my the driver's seat in my Platinum is already back from when I turned the ignition off. I don't need the remote start to do this.
When you remote start the truck the seat moves forward (as if you were already in the seat) so hence the need to send it back again when using the remote start....

Old 01-18-2010, 01:17 PM
Now I'm following. Thanks for the tutorial.

Quick Reply: Compustar or Astrostart?