2009 - 2014 F-150

Anyone's tranny leaking? Mine is!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 12:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update

OK, got a call from the dealer - they said I have a bad trans connector (part number 6L2Z7G276AA).....a $14 part through Tasca....anyway, the delaer said it was on national back order from some reason. I say WTF! I called Dominic at Tasca Ford who did some awesome investigating on the particular part......form what I was told, there is some sort of engineering change and the part is on back order and is not due to be in stock until February 12th!

Needless to say, I am not a happy camper!

Old 01-08-2010, 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by ibcop
OK, got a call from the dealer - they said I have a bad trans connector (part number 6L2Z7G276AA).....a $14 part through Tasca....anyway, the delaer said it was on national back order from some reason. I say WTF! I called Dominic at Tasca Ford who did some awesome investigating on the particular part......form what I was told, there is some sort of engineering change and the part is on back order and is not due to be in stock until February 12th!

Needless to say, I am not a happy camper!
Man did I call it or what.. Sorry dude. Look at it this way, its on national back order because obviously this is a problem with alot of f-150's which means somewhere down the road it will be recognized from ford as a big problem so if you have issues in the future you should have this on your side.
With that said, ford says the tranny is sealed cause its fine for 100, 000 miles, well now you might need tranny fluid and cant get to it... just stupid.
Check with the dealer to see if they can check the fluid level before you screw it up since it may be till late feb or march before the part comes. Also check with them to see what the part is exactly as far as what it does and make sure if you let it go till the part comes your tranny will be ok. Get it all in writing, just in case, probably not going to be a big deal, but be prepared in case it turns into one.
Good luck! This is why I don't buy first year anything, I like other people to be the guinea pig, lol!!

Old 01-08-2010, 01:09 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxout05
With that said, ford says the tranny is sealed cause its fine for 100, 000 miles, well now you might need tranny fluid and cant get to it...
There is just no way a fluid can be expected to last that long. Just one trip past 200-225*F or so and it's done. Most folks won't even know if this occurred. Let alone circulating for that long in normal wear&tear operations. What - the clutches don't wear?

Hey - perhaps there is a hidden, internal fluid reservoir and the Mother Of All Transmission Filters in the pan. And a monster active cooling system

Folks with these trucks: what does the manual state for severe duty servicing requirements? Just curious ....

Old 01-08-2010, 01:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually on the 6R80 transmission there is a fill plug. It is called the "transmission fluid fill plug fluid level indicator." It looks like a big nut, about 3/4" or so, sticking upwards

Passenger side, front portion of the case, down near bottom of course, near pan.

And, if you do crawl under and find it, and unscrew it, you will see that it has a short "dipstick" on it to read the level.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:14 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by johnwill
Actually on the 6R80 transmission there is a fill plug. It is called the "transmission fluid fill plug fluid level indicator." It looks like a big nut, about 3/4" or so, sticking upwards

Passenger side, front portion of the case, down near bottom of course, near pan.

And, if you do crawl under and find it, and unscrew it, you will see that it has a short "dipstick" on it to read the level.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:58 PM
Here is what dealers invoice says.

7000E Automatic transmission-external oil leak(7000)
7000A6 Automatic transmission front pump replace (7A103)
7000A7 Automatic transmission seal-front pump, or converter-replace(7A248/7F401)
7000A Automatic transmission assembly-remove and install or replace (7000)

Hope this helps.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:22 PM
that was the connector i was talking about the 7g276 ive got one on the rack and found this out to i know for a fact its on back order for a engineering fix

Old 01-08-2010, 11:10 PM
Originally Posted by jhunt47
that was the connector i was talking about the 7g276 ive got one on the rack and found this out to i know for a fact its on back order for a engineering fix
so basically not only is it on backorder but technically its not even designed yet, let alone being made.. That sux. Looks like alot more people should keep an eye out for this issue..

Old 01-09-2010, 12:41 PM
Oh yeah....I for got to mention Dominic stated there were 155 pending orders for this part. That tells me I smell a recall. The dealer did say they could swap the valve body (they claim it's a 3k job but we know a valve body doesn't cost that much) but have to have Ford approval I got the ball rolling with Ford's CRC but I know that won't get me very far......

Total BS!

Old 01-09-2010, 01:04 PM
Oh yeah....I for got to mention Dominic stated there were 155 pending orders for this part. That tells me I smell a recall. The dealer did say they could swap the valve body (they claim it's a 3k job but we know a valve body doesn't cost that much) but have to have Ford approval I got the ball rolling with Ford's CRC but I know that won't get me very far......

Total BS!
It sucks but don't get too PO'd over it. The 6 speed is new technology for Ford and there's bound to be problems. When Ford redesigned the 4 speed back in '04 ('03 really I guess) to work behind the 3v 5.4 there were people having all kind of problems. The '04-'08 forum has numerous threads about them, in fact there's still at least one a month being started. The majority I've seen are about trannies in the '04-'05 models.

Some 2010 owners will see this as well because their 6 speeds were built for '09 but were installed in the '10's to use up the inventory. The problems will come out now, and the fixes will show up on the next run of 6 speeds. Those same fixes will be used to correct the issues on the '09's and '10's already on the road.

It's good you went to your dealer and contacted Ford about it, that's how Ford finds out about these problems and it's how the fixes get developed.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by Tbird69
It sucks but don't get too PO'd over it. The 6 speed is new technology for Ford and there's bound to be problems. When Ford redesigned the 4 speed back in '04 ('03 really I guess) to work behind the 3v 5.4 there were people having all kind of problems. The '04-'08 forum has numerous threads about them, in fact there's still at least one a month being started. The majority I've seen are about trannies in the '04-'05 models.

Some 2010 owners will see this as well because their 6 speeds were built for '09 but were installed in the '10's to use up the inventory. The problems will come out now, and the fixes will show up on the next run of 6 speeds. Those same fixes will be used to correct the issues on the '09's and '10's already on the road.

It's good you went to your dealer and contacted Ford about it, that's how Ford finds out about these problems and it's how the fixes get developed.
I can understand about getting things fixed but I find it hard to believe a $14 part will bring me to a standstill and no one has it in the entire US! But I don't have to like the fact that I am out of my truck for 45 days plus. And having to drive an Edge? This thing sucks the gas!

Old 01-09-2010, 03:31 PM
I can understand about getting things fixed but I find it hard to believe a $14 part will bring me to a standstill and no one has it in the entire US! But I don't have to like the fact that I am out of my truck for 45 days plus. And having to drive an Edge? This thing sucks the gas!
It's 45 days right now (WOW!), after that it'll probably be regular stock at every dealer. You have the bad luck of being one of the first with a problem that the fix isn't ready for yet.

I guess it's a testament to Ford's R&D that they've built a full size V8 truck that sucks less fuel then a mid sized crossover.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:55 PM
Update 2

Well, I got a call from the Ford CRC rep this past Monday. She tells me the distibutor is shipping 88 pieces of this particular part tomorrow and she has one going to my dealer. When I asked about how it was to be shipped or if the 88 pieces that were ready to ship were ernmarked for other customers/dealers, I couldn't get an answer.

Needless to say, I haven't heard a peep from my dealer. That is the one thing that frustrates me is the lack of communication. I shouldn't have to contact another dealer to find out why/what/when about a part. At least the rest of you don't have to deal with this dealer!

I'll keep you posted on the end result.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:34 PM
I wonder if this is isolated to 4X4's or if all F150's will be affected... not sure what the difference in the tranny is design wise for this particular part that is the issue...

I have a 2wd, but after reading this recall seeing a spot at the end of my driveway that I thought was odd... now I'll have to get out there and check in the garage... hopefully not a leak!!

Old 01-13-2010, 09:33 PM
That sucks that you are receiving crappy service, but like it has been said there are bound to be problems with a newly designed tranny.. At least it is a new design though and it's not a huge leak. If anyone out has ever owned a land rover you would know that if it's not leaking, then it must be out of oil XD just think of your new truck as marking it's territory

Quick Reply: Anyone's tranny leaking? Mine is!