2009 - 2014 F-150

Poor acceleration after transmission flash?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 10:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Poor acceleration after transmission flash?

I am wondering if anyone has had problems or noticed your truck being sluggish or "bogged" down after having the transmission flashed? I was having the harsh shifting and the dealer recommended the flash, but since then mine feels like it lacks power and the lower "normal" driving speeds.

Just wanted to throw that out there and see if anyone else had any issues. I asked the delaer if their was an update or anything since it's there now.

Thanks!

Old 01-05-2010, 11:05 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ibcop
I am wondering if anyone has had problems or noticed your truck being sluggish or "bogged" down after having the transmission flashed? I was having the harsh shifting and the dealer recommended the flash, but since then mine feels like it lacks power and the lower "normal" driving speeds.

Just wanted to throw that out there and see if anyone else had any issues. I asked the delaer if their was an update or anything since it's there now.

Thanks!

Off the top of my head, if it isn't Adaptive needing time to work, then I suspect the 'revised' flash introduced new problems of it's own.

Time for some custom tuning?

Old 01-05-2010, 11:48 AM

Thanks!
It can take some time for the PCM to integrate the new programming it was given. It needs to relearn your driving style to properly integrate the reflash. If it doesn't improve after about a week (depending how much you drive), or it gets worse then it's time to revisit the dealer.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have read other owners complaining about the same thing. Apparently some dealers are not properly performing the TSB. You may want to ask the dealer...

Old 01-05-2010, 01:04 PM
I know they didn't drive it.....came out with the same mileage as it went in with. And it's been 6 weeks or so and a few road trips.

BTW: V Corps in Heidelberg?

Old 01-05-2010, 02:12 PM
I know they didn't drive it.....came out with the same mileage as it went in with. And it's been 6 weeks or so and a few road trips.
Then that might be your problem IF they actually did the TSB and didn't simply 'zero out' the learned data.

BTW: V Corps in Heidelberg?
Yes. I was in 141 SIG BN when he was V Corps Commander. Best general officer I have ever met. I wish he'd run for president (he won't; he's too smart for that).

Old 01-05-2010, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by shotgunz
Then that might be your problem IF they actually did the TSB and didn't simply 'zero out' the learned data.

Yes. I was in 141 SIG BN when he was V Corps Commander. Best general officer I have ever met. I wish he'd run for president (he won't; he's too smart for that).
His old commander lives next door to my in-laws. Great guy!

Old 01-05-2010, 06:27 PM
I just posted about this recently. I didn't have the reflash but the dealer service guy warned me about others complaining about a lack of power after the reflash.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by SteveVFX4
I just posted about this recently. I didn't have the reflash but the dealer service guy warned me about others complaining about a lack of power after the reflash.
Some beach!

Old 01-06-2010, 06:32 AM
ibcop,

When I first brought my truck in they did not drive it ans was very adament to the service advisor that I knew that was wrong. The truck got much worse after "just driving it" I went and talked to the service manager with the tsb in had explained to him that i knew what needed to be done, needless to say my truck is now 100% better with the proper reflash. I def needs to have the adaptive driving done for it to know when to shift.

good luck

Old 01-06-2010, 07:58 AM
Originally Posted by Shogren65
ibcop,

When I first brought my truck in they did not drive it ans was very adament to the service advisor that I knew that was wrong. The truck got much worse after "just driving it" I went and talked to the service manager with the tsb in had explained to him that i knew what needed to be done, needless to say my truck is now 100% better with the proper reflash. I def needs to have the adaptive driving done for it to know when to shift.

good luck
Thanks! I'm going to bring the issue up again. The truck is still at the dealer.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:16 AM
Thanks! I'm going to bring the issue up again. The truck is still at the dealer.
Make him show you the TSB, explain what they did, and check to make sure the mileage has changed.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:19 PM
Had to have mine reflashed twice. The first time it must not have been done correctly. The tell taile sign for me was a sluggishness while accelerating in 3rd gear. Now I get a prompt downshift before it "chugs". With the proper reflash, I actually feel mine to be more responsive.

Note....my service manager, the second time I brought it back, made sure I had it there on a day when one of his techs that "does all of the reflash work" was there. And it did make a difference.

Quick Reply: Poor acceleration after transmission flash?