2009 - 2014 F-150

2010 STX or FX4?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 05:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 STX or FX4?

Hey all,

I'm trying to decide between either the STX or FX4 in a 4x4 SuperCab. This is because I like the look of the matte black grille compared to the chrome.

I was wondering is it worth the extra cash for the electronic locker, skid plates, rancho's and 5.4 or save the money with the STX and put some aftermarket suspension from Fox/Rancho?

I've test drove trucks and didn't seem to notice a lot of power difference between the 2 engines (brand new truck, completely empty).

What do you think?

Old 01-05-2010, 06:05 PM
icedemon,

There is a big difference between the STX and FX4! To my knowledge both models come with black grills. Ive never seen a chrome grill on either truck.(factory) If you can afford the FX4 go for it. You will not be disapointed.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:06 PM
Hm well an FX4 is just an XL with stickers so I'd say.....
buy what you need, buy what works for YOU!

In all seriousness though it depends on what equipment you're talking about. base model to base model the FX4 comes with alot more than just the 5.4, e-locker and skid plates (don't believe the FX has Rancho's anymore) its also a nicer interior fabrics, standard power windows/locks, keyless entry, console shifter, cruise control, standard towing package, larger wheels/tires etc. etc. not to mention there are alot more optional items available for the FX4 (leather, upgraded audio, backup sensors/camera, you get the idea)

Also I am assuming you drove an STX with the 3V 4.6 and 6 speed? I seriously doubt you drove one with the 2V and thought it had anywhere near as much power as the 5.4. the 3v is much closer in performance to the 5.4 so I could see it being hard to tell a difference completely unloaded.

I'd say if you feel comfortable with the features of a base STX with the 3V go for it as it is around 4k less msrp to msrp. Otherwise I'd say go FX4 because an STX optioned similarly to a base FX4 is going to cost pretty close to the same price and not be as nice. On second thought; even for 4k I'd say the FX4 is a pretty decent upgrade for that price all things considered but its not my money

Old 01-05-2010, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by 50Ford500
Hm well an FX4 is just an XL with stickers so I'd say.....
buy what you need, buy what works for YOU!
LMAO!!!!!!!!! I knew someone was going to go there.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by 50Ford500
Also I am assuming you drove an STX with the 3V 4.6 and 6 speed? I seriously doubt you drove one with the 2V and thought it had anywhere near as much power as the 5.4. the 3v is much closer in performance to the 5.4 so I could see it being hard to tell a difference completely unloaded.
Yeah it was the 3V 4.6,

I guess my main question is with the 4k I would save going with the STX and upgrading the suspension myself and adding a few more goodies or spend the extra 4k on a FX4 and get what Ford installs from the Factory.

The other thing is I don't know a whole lot about lockers aside from what they do. From what I've heard and read the E-locker is a great feature, and living in Ontario we get everything that mother nature can throw at us (minus hurricanes) so I'm thinking for driving in crappy weather alone it could be a selling feature (not to mention being able to pull my friends Toyota's, Dodge's and GM's outta of the ditch and mud holes.) Any other feedback about that feature alone?

Thanks for all the suggestions

Old 01-05-2010, 06:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by icedemon
Yeah it was the 3V 4.6,

I guess my main question is with the 4k I would save going with the STX and upgrading the suspension myself and adding a few more goodies or spend the extra 4k on a FX4 and get what Ford installs from the Factory.

The other thing is I don't know a whole lot about lockers aside from what they do. From what I've heard and read the E-locker is a great feature, and living in Ontario we get everything that mother nature can throw at us (minus hurricanes) so I'm thinking for driving in crappy weather alone it could be a selling feature (not to mention being able to pull my friends Toyota's, Dodge's and GM's outta of the ditch and mud holes.) Any other feedback about that feature alone?

Thanks for all the suggestions
To be honest, I would rather have the limited slip. The locker only works in 4x4, and only below 25mph. Also not good for anything except straight line driving. And yes I have the 09 FX4 with the locker.

Quick Reply: 2010 STX or FX4?