2009 - 2014 F-150

Things I wish were different on my 2010

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 12:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, my 2010 Lariat Supercrew (5.4, 3.37, max towing, 6.5 bed) replaced a 1990 Lariat Supercab, so I love everything about the new one. The power and acceleration, braking, navigation system/screen, sync and voice, trailer package with integrated brake controller, rear view camera.

The extra length has taken some getting used to, but usually just a matter of picking the right parking places.

A left side foot rest is a good idea, my Volvo Wagon has one and I like it. And like previously commented, I miss the captain's chair armrest that my 1990 has. The flow-thru console cover is padded, but is too low for me to be a comfortable armrest.

So that would be a second vote for those two improvements.

Originally Posted by Anthony09F150
i had no idea about the gas cap untill i went for the first fill up..I was holy crap they sold me a truck w/o the gas cap..then i realized it was made that way..lol
Not stealing the thread, but I've seen a couple of comments like this in various threads that make me think that my dealer was an exception. He took almost an hour going over the truck when I picked it up, showed me there was no gas cap and showed where the filler spout is stowed under the back seat in case you need to use a gas can. Also the spare tire lock that was mentioned in another thread and how to release the jack. And the fact that the heated mirrors and rear window defroster are worked by the same switch, another frequent topic. Showed many of the nav/sync features and how to set the seat adjustment memory. He also popped the hood and pointed out where to make all the PMCS checks. (Although he spent a few minutes looking for the transmission dipstick, until he called a tech over and discovered that the 6 speed doesn't have a dipstick!)

Old 01-11-2010, 02:16 PM
Just got mine before X-mas - coming from '03 tundra and '95 F-150 before. Only major complaints from me are fit and finish issues. Door seal was not installed correctly and driver's side speaker is bad. I fixed the seal, and speaker is on order.

I wish there was another air vent in the middle. I wanted a bench seat, which eliminated rear A/C vents, and having another vent in the middle would be good. I never noticed lack of the left foot rest, so it's not a big deal to me. I also got the running boards, but they don't seem to be positioned right - they are either too tucked in or too high. But they look cool. Besides that, I got everything on the truck that I wanted, and even did not have to special order it.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:17 PM
Wish it had the grab handle on the driver's side like my '06 did. Was nice to hang on to if you had to squeeze in while parked in a tight spot. Also....the chrome running boards on my '09 sit too close to the truck and I am always pulling off the weather stripping on the door sill. My '06 had boards lower and further away from the door so you could put your whole foot on it..

Old 01-17-2010, 01:33 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by L8 APEX
I like no gas cap, especially when they hang them by cords and they rub your paint like on my F250. At least GM put a holder on the gas door for the cap. I also like it for annual inspection, no gas cap test to fail. Good deal overall, one less part to replace or maintain...
I always liked that about GM's. My wife has a Suburban and the past 2 we have had have that feature. Simple thing I wonder why Ford never picked up on?

Old 01-17-2010, 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by L8 APEX
I like no gas cap, especially when they hang them by cords and they rub your paint like on my F250. At least GM put a holder on the gas door for the cap. I also like it for annual inspection, no gas cap test to fail. Good deal overall, one less part to replace or maintain...
They finally put a little tab to hold the gas cap cord on the later job '08s. Our Job 1 '08 didn't have one and the damn cap rubbed into the clear coat, but our '09 has it and it is much appreciated on that black paint.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:45 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by SFCFX4
They finally put a little tab to hold the gas cap cord on the later job '08s. Our Job 1 '08 didn't have one and the damn cap rubbed into the clear coat, but our '09 has it and it is much appreciated on that black paint.
I had the first production '04 and I had the tab to hold the gas cap. It was a very nice feature.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by tbraquet
I had the first production '04 and I had the tab to hold the gas cap. It was a very nice feature.
Strange. My 2004 Lariat had a tab to hang the gas cap cord from as well.

EDIT: Oops, agreeing with you.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:59 PM
Sorry, I was referring to the Super Duties.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:26 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm very suspicious of Ford's "capless" fuel system -- I have a hunch issues are going to show up with this over time.

Another thing that I was shocked to find wasn't upgraded with the new body style was that godawful plastic fuel door. Besides the steering wheel and some interior switches, this is probably the part of the truck you'll touch the most over the years and instead of grabbing a nice, solid, metal door, you grab a flimsy, cheap piece of plastic.......

Old 01-17-2010, 11:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Anthony09F150
Something that kind of bugged me at first was the no toe hooks on the front of my truck. Yes it's a 4x2 but i dont think i have ever seen any truck without them. what if i get a wildhair up my rear and think I can go off road like a 4x4 and not plan on getting stuck or what happens when I come across a vehical that is stuck or I run out of gas and neeed a pull..Not sure if they thought that through when they were trying to save money when in production. Any thoughts on the hooks
Yeah I don't like that either. Ford has never put tow hooks on their two-wheel drive trucks.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:33 AM
Originally Posted by ddellwo
I'm very suspicious of Ford's "capless" fuel system -- I have a hunch issues are going to show up with this over time.

Another thing that I was shocked to find wasn't upgraded with the new body style was that godawful plastic fuel door. Besides the steering wheel and some interior switches, this is probably the part of the truck you'll touch the most over the years and instead of grabbing a nice, solid, metal door, you grab a flimsy, cheap piece of plastic.......
Pretty sure it's metal.

Edit* nevermind

Last edited by KazK; 01-18-2010 at 08:07 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:02 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBoy88
Yeah I don't like that either. Ford has never put tow hooks on their two-wheel drive trucks.
Nothing stopping you from bolting on a pair...

Old 01-18-2010, 04:00 AM
Really? we better tell the nissan boys they can bolt on "a pair".

wocka wocka. I know it's not that good but it stuck in my head.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:32 PM
My dad got a '10 about a month ago, and I have to say that I love the no gas cap feature. So far the only thing I don't like is the position of the seat belt clicker. I don't know if it's because I'm tall, but I cannot comfortably get to it without have to shift myself towards the door. It seems to be located too low.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by mozy
So far the only thing I don't like is the position of the seat belt clicker. I don't know if it's because I'm tall, but I cannot comfortably get to it without have to shift myself towards the door. It seems to be located too low.
My father in law had the same problem with his 2009. He talked to the dealer and they gave him a set of seat belt extenders, a short (about 6") piece that stays hooked into the clicker by the seat.

Quick Reply: Things I wish were different on my 2010