2009 - 2014 F-150

2010 FX4 s-crew v. Tundra Limited Double Cab

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 01:57 PM
dcf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shogren65
DCF

I have owned both, previous being an 07 Tundra 5.7 Double Cab. Both are very nice trucks. The interior quality of the ford is far better. The Ford has a much better towing suspension. I had to do a lot of upgrading to the rear to get it comfortable above 7000#'s My ford is comfortable at 8200#'s Except tires (Stupid P rated tires) The rear seats in the Screw are much bigger and much more comfortable. After much towing with both (I work at a boat dealership) I would buy the Ford again in in a heartbeat. I would not go to a Toyota again because of the mechanical issues (Front diff, Driveshaft, entire dash)

On a side note the SYNC is def something I now wont give up.

Good luck on your decision

And by the way my truck is fx4 white with black no nav. And it is really sharp.
Thanks. I know there had to be someone here who had both. And you have had both of the exact trucks I am talking about.

Last edited by dcf; 01-13-2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:05 PM
dcf
Originally Posted by APT

I am not sure what you mean by special for a Supercrew 6.5' bed.
Two things: first, up in Northern Illinois, it seems like all the S-crews sitting on dealer lots have the 5.5 on them. Second, the "standard" bed on the Yota with the double cab is 6.5' and it sits on the standard wheelbase, as opposed to the long wheelbase for the long bed. On the F150, if you go with an S-crew, the 5.5' bed is on the standard platform, while the 6.5' bed goes to the long wheelbase platform and the overall length is a full foot longer.

The Yota still stays on the shorter "standard" platform in the MEGA cab, as it goes to the 5.5' box. I know that technically the mega cab and the s-crew are supposed to be the same "class", but the Mega cab is way bigger, and the Yota double cab is only very slightly smaller then an Screw (as opposed othte F150 crew cab, which is tiny).

Old 01-13-2010, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by Rambo
Toyota Tundra Slips to Below Average Reliability in Latest Consumer Reports Ratings
http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/new...ity/slips.html

Tundra Problems Snowballing
http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums...&mode=threaded
If you look at the Tundra Problems Snowballing that Rambo has put on here, I can tell you that this will not happen to your tailgate with a F150. My brother was putting his 700lb 4wheeler in his truck a while back and not thinking to strap his ramps to the truck, the ramps sled of the back of his truck and all the weight of the 4wheeler came crashing down on his tailgate. The only damage was it messed up the plastic cap on the tailgate. I know what they mean when they say "Built Ford Tough"

Old 01-13-2010, 03:04 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dcf
The Yota still stays on the shorter "standard" platform in the MEGA cab, as it goes to the 5.5' box. I know that technically the mega cab and the s-crew are supposed to be the same "class", but the Mega cab is way bigger, and the Yota double cab is only very slightly smaller then an Screw (as opposed othte F150 crew cab, which is tiny).
Are you sure you are looking at the 2010 F-150? The cab grew 6" in length over -08 models. The F-150 Supercrew has 8.8" more legroom than the Tundra Double cab and 1" less than the CrewMax.

Old 01-13-2010, 04:57 PM
dcf
Originally Posted by APT
Are you sure you are looking at the 2010 F-150? The cab grew 6" in length over -08 models. The F-150 Supercrew has 8.8" more legroom than the Tundra Double cab and 1" less than the CrewMax.
I'm sure. I am not going off of stats and measurements for things like that, I use the "I got my a## in that thing" method. In the back of a double cab I have plenty of room, in the back of a s-crew I have a bit more, and in the CrewMax I can recline the rear seats and stretch out limo style (which is way more than I ever need). Unfortunatley, in the back of a s-cab from Ford, I have to curl up with knees up to fit.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:27 PM
I am 6'6" with a 36" inseam and I have plenty of room in the back of my '09 crew cab. More room than any other vehicle I have been in.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:39 AM
I have owned 3 toyota trucks. However, it was back in the 90's. They where all very reliable but on the weak side for towing and appearance. I looked into the new Tundra's before purchasing the FX4. They are fuel pigs. The interior is so plain and plastic looking. Seats really weren't that comfortable either. Nothing really thrilled me.

F150 wins hands done. Can't beat the appearance of both exterior and interior.
Ride, quality, handling and build is so much better. Everytime I get into it I'm excited. That's how it should be. Also, the price was way better than Toyota. Much more room for negotiating with Ford.

Good Luck.

Old 01-15-2010, 05:27 PM
You will not be disappointed with the F150. I test drove the big Tundra and could not get comfortable at all. I looked at the Tundra because of the telescoping steering wheel but it only scoped out about 2 inches. At 6'7" I was looking out the top inch of the windshield and had arms fully extended still. No telescoping wheel on the F150 but it is much more comfortable. To all who brag about the Toyo speed, yes, it is quicker off the line but put 5000lbs behind it and the F150 keeps up or beats them all. The power is plenty and the six speed xmission work well (*for most of us). From 35 to 70 mph with a load all the #s are about the same. some other things to think about: SYNC, very nice and upgraded for 2010 with traffic, weather and directions; flat load rear floor, did not realize how useful this would be until I stuck 16 cases of beer back there on a rainy day; itegrated trailer brake works great; rear defrost on 2010s, get it, i wish I had it on my 09; upgraded brakes in 2010, little to no dust, I'm tired of scrubbing; I'm glad I went with the ford, I looked at them all, test drove them all and imo the F150 stands way above the others. Decent mileage, I'll stop there, I could go on.

Let us know when you get your new F150!

Old 01-15-2010, 08:00 PM
this article says it all http://www.autoblog.com/gallery/dirt...ast-decade/#12

2007-Present Toyota Tundra
Toyota has tried so hard to build a competitive truck that it's almost painful to call the Tundra a bust. Full-size pickup trucks are a uniquely American invention and the Japanese automaker has gone through thee distinct phases (including the T100) in its quest to understand what truck buyers here really want. Apparently, it hasn't worked.

If the first Tundra was a bit too small, Toyota surely rectified that problem with the truck's latest redesign in 2007. When launched it matched or beat its American competitors in nearly every meaningful measurement. In fact, some bits felt big just for the sake of being big, such as the interior HVAC controls. If big is good, then supersized is better, right? Cap that massiveness off with a 5.7-liter V8 engine with 381 horsepower and 401 pound-feet of torque and you seemingly have a winning recipe.

Perhaps not. Even when fresh and new, the Tundra failed to live up to Toyota's lofty sales goals, which may also have been due in part to early reliability problems that seemed at the time highly un-Toyota-like. Reports of frame rust on the previous generation coupled with recalled propeller shafts, ball joints and broken camshafts don't exactly give confidence to the traditional truck buyer. So far in 2009, sales figures could best be described as dismal, down by nearly half from the previous year.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:20 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Toyota makes a decent car, & they should just stick with that period!......As far as trucks go....Ford will continue to innovate & dominate the truck market in all Facets from F150-F-550!..........Case closed...Game over!

Last edited by risupercrewman; 01-15-2010 at 08:21 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 01-15-2010, 08:24 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Well what is the decision?

Old 01-15-2010, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by ground_effectz
Even when fresh and new, the Tundra failed to live up to Toyota's lofty sales goals, which may also have been due in part to early reliability problems that seemed at the time highly un-Toyota-like. Reports of frame rust on the previous generation coupled with recalled propeller shafts, ball joints and broken camshafts don't exactly give confidence to the traditional truck buyer. So far in 2009, sales figures could best be described as dismal, down by nearly half from the previous year.
Don't forget to factor in the incredibly high sticker these trucks have and Toyota's infamous unwillingness to deal, although, it is priced more competitively now then it was back in '07. These two things have had an effect on sales as well. A basic Tundra regular cab long box stickered in the low/mid 30's back in '07. They're now stickering in the middle/high 20's which puts them in the range of an F150 XL. Then came all the manufacturing defects that still plague the Tundra in it's 3rd year of production.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:54 PM
dcf
Originally Posted by JJDH
Well what is the decision?
I have two different FORD dealers competing on price. They are giving me very different numbers both for what they say the MSRP of the truck I want is (even though I know what it is as I built it on the website) and what they will sell it to me for. I am still debating the 5.5' v 6.5' bed. Either way I need to factory order a truck as there is nothing even close to what I want in the area up here (not a single white FX4 with a brake controller), no matter what other stuff I want, within 250 miles! It is not a big deal as I am in no rush, and all current Ford incentives are good through the end of March. If I can keep working on pricing, then I think that will end my looking at a Tundra.

Thanks to everyone here who chimed in! You all confirmed the exact concerns I had with the Toyo.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:03 AM
As for the bed length, if your going to be using it as a "truck" and using the bed go for the 6.5. You will kick yourself if you get a 5.5. Do you have quads, sleds, dirtbikes, small boat etc...? You will LOVE the extra foot. Hauling lumber around is another plus to the 6.5. A piece of plywood fits perfect with 0 over hang in a 6.5 and in a 5.5 it does stick out.

Personally I would take the 6.5 if your going to be using the box as a truck box. But if its just going to get luggage thrown in and small things then the 5.5 is alright. But that 6.5 can't be beat.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:36 AM
i wish i would have gotten the 6.5 box on my '06. i go to river and i throw an ice chest, a few chairs and its basically full. get the 6.5

Quick Reply: 2010 FX4 s-crew v. Tundra Limited Double Cab