2009 - 2014 F-150

2010 FX4 s-crew v. Tundra Limited Double Cab

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 10:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dcf
I have two different FORD dealers competing on price. They are giving me very different numbers both for what they say the MSRP of the truck I want is (even though I know what it is as I built it on the website) and what they will sell it to me for. I am still debating the 5.5' v 6.5' bed. Either way I need to factory order a truck as there is nothing even close to what I want in the area up here (not a single white FX4 with a brake controller), no matter what other stuff I want, within 250 miles! It is not a big deal as I am in no rush, and all current Ford incentives are good through the end of March. If I can keep working on pricing, then I think that will end my looking at a Tundra.

Thanks to everyone here who chimed in! You all confirmed the exact concerns I had with the Toyo.
I too was in this same dilema, one truck vs another aside, the two biggest reasons I picked the F150 was price and dealer/brand experience. Ford has some great incentives (I got over $8k off my 2010 XLT SCrew), so that made the deal an almost no brainer. But what sealed the deal for Ford was the attitude of all three Toyota dealers/salesmen I went to. Each one acted like their stuff didn't stink and how could I even be dumb enought to consider a Ford (even a better price). Each Toyota dealer was rude and didn't need my business. I was even willing to spend a bit more on the Tundra because I was not compairing apples and oranges (4.6 vs 5.7), I wanted the 4.6 and Toyota did not have the inventory in the Southeast. Bottom line, in my case the Ford dealership experience is what made the difference.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:41 PM
drove both

I test drove both at the end of November, a 2010 King Ranch F150 Screw and a 2010 Crewmax Platinum. The Yota worked out to about $40 bucks a month cheaper after discounts were applied by both Ford and Yota (Yota knocked off $1000 and Ford knocked off $14,000 ). On pavement, the Yota has *****, that thing goes like stink. Interior, Ford wins hands down. The Yota salesman looked inside my 08 King Ranch and was saying how impressed he was with the interior.

Now, I work in the oil patch, so I do lots of off road driving. Therefore I took the Yota on a gravel road and tried to put it through it's paces. The stupid traction control was kicking in the whole time and it would limit the RPM and my speed. The salesman was trying to convince me I need to use 4x4 on a gravel road. WTF? This worried me as the new F150 also has traction control, so I took the F150 out on the exact same road and hammered on it as well, not once did the traction control kick in that I could tell, my RPM and speed were never cut and I didn't loose traction once. That right there sold me on the Ford and I ordered one that same day. . .should be here the first week of Feb.

Another annoyance with the Yota, you can only get it with street tires, if you want A/T's you need to buy them once you have your truck. . .great. At least with Ford I can order it with A/T's.

My annoyance with Ford was the 6 speed tranny, it kept hunting and shifting, the Yota would shift so smooth that I couldn't even feel it shifting. I'm hoping that the Ford tranny gets better once I get some miles on mine and the "adaptive learning" kicks in.

That was my experience.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:35 PM
I was in the same boat as you several months ago. I took a Tundra home for a weekend and decided against it before I was home. After a lot of research, I went with an 09 FX4. I couldn't be happier. This is a great truck.
I ran into a guy last weekend with an 02 FX4. Of course I asked him how he liked it. He couldn’t say enough good things about it. I said he must keep it in a garage because it looked so good. He said, not only do I not keep it in a garage, it has never been in a garage for repairs! As an FX4 owner, I love to hear these kinds of reports.
Good luck with your decision.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:00 PM
Wow I'm impressed with those videos that makes me very happy to see what I put my money into. I love my 09 ford screw I have always had a chevy truck or chevy car and this my first fullsize truck and I will never go back the room that the 09 has in it's back cab is like what u have in te front. I'm 6'4 265 lbs and I sit back there with the seat all the way back and not one part of that seat touhes my knees.

Ford all the way

Old 01-16-2010, 11:48 PM
F-150 vs. tundra? Must be some kind of joke, right?

Old 01-18-2010, 08:18 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a 6.5' bed and the 5.5' bed now. There have been very few times the extra 1' would have been useful. The 5.5' bed has more payload as well as shorter overall length and better turning circle.

Last edited by APT; 01-18-2010 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:25 AM
Honestly from what I have seen, and heard, these trucks are aimed at 2 different markets. Most Ford buyers actually use their trucks, you see more Yotas running to soccer practice. My Welding supplier, just got a Yota, said he will be replacing with another American Truck, when his lease is up.
It is teh same with the small truck market. The Tacoma is extremely popular, and holds its value best. But historically it has been outsold by teh Ranger. If you look at shop trucks, and you'll see a whole more Chevy's anf Fords. Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by APT
I had a 6.5' bed and the 5.5' bed now. There have been very few times the extra 1' would have been useful. The 5.5' bed has more payload as well as shorter overall length and better turning circle.
One thing some don't realize is that IF you cart around some things that are 8 foot in length, like a bunch of 2x4's, you can fit them in the 6-1/2 foot bed from corner to corner while still closing a lid or tonneau. A nice feature for thise like me that don't care to advertise stuff sticking out of the bed while stopping at that last place to grab something you forgot AFTER you grabbed the 2X's. I could do the same thing in my last truck with an 8' ladder with the topper closed and locked.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:39 AM
Originally Posted by Smokewagun
One thing some don't realize is that IF you cart around some things that are 8 foot in length, like a bunch of 2x4's, you can fit them in the 6-1/2 foot bed from corner to corner while still closing a lid or tonneau. A nice feature for thise like me that don't care to advertise stuff sticking out of the bed while stopping at that last place to grab something you forgot AFTER you grabbed the 2X's. I could do the same thing in my last truck with an 8' ladder with the topper closed and locked.
Of course I had to pull the trigger on a 5.5. I still gotta get a cover though.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by 09KingRanch
FWIW, I sat in a "Platinum" Tundra at the Seattle Auto Show a couple months back. One slam of the door and I knew that I had made the right choice on my F150. The Tundra just doesn't feel solid. I know that there are many other considerations, but it just didn't feel like a solidly built truck to me.
Man, does Toyota have no shame...now they have a "Platinum" model as well...couldn't they at least changed the name a little bit

Sorry to the OP for straying off topic...it did surprise me though (about Toyota now having a Platinum model). FWIW, I have had two recent F-150's ('05 Lariat 4x4 and currently an '09 Platinum 4x4) and I really like them both. Before I bought the '09 last May, I shopped all the top brands (not inc. the Titan) and came away more convinced than ever that the F-150 is the best truck on the market...my 2nd choice was the GMC Denali with Toyota pulling 3rd and Dodge 4th for me. I won't go into all the details here but I actually enjoy researching new vehicles and went through a lot of considerating before staying with the f-150...it's just years ahead of the competition.

Last edited by HotLap; 01-18-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:33 PM
dcf
Originally Posted by HotLap
Man, does Toyota have no shame...now they have a "Platinum" model as well...couldn't they at least changed the name a little bit

Sorry to the OP for straying off topic...it did surprise me though (about Toyota now having a Platinum model). FWIW, I have had two recent F-150's ('05 Lariat 4x4 and currently an '09 Platinum 4x4) and I really like them both. Before I bought the '09 last May, I shopped all the top brands (not inc. the Titan) and came away more convinced than ever that the F-150 is the best truck on the market...my 2nd choice was the GMC Denali with Toyota pulling 3rd and Dodge 4th for me. I won't go into all the details here but I actually enjoy researching new vehicles and went through a lot of considerating before staying with the f-150...it's just years ahead of the competition.
I agree and had a similar experience. The reason that the Denali was not on my list was 1: I doubt GM reliability, and 2: no 6.5' box option.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:44 PM
dcf
Originally Posted by APT
You hit my dilema on the head! Would I like it to fit in the garage? Sure. Would I like a bit more payload and tighter turning (for when I have the trailer hooked up), yup. But, if I am getting a truck I want a truck, with a bed that can haul. I do not want to one day go and try and pick something up, only to find out that my giant truck has a tiny bed that can't hold it. I do not plan on just throwing by groceries back there.

I am going for the 6.5' box.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:40 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
The solution to the longer bed option is a small utility trailer. Not an option for some people due to storage, but you can buy one (say, a 8-10ft model) for $1000 new. ANy time you need more bed space, the trailer fills the void. Just a thought.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:10 PM
APT
Originally Posted by dcf
You hit my dilema on the head! Would I like it to fit in the garage? Sure. Would I like a bit more payload and tighter turning (for when I have the trailer hooked up), yup. But, if I am getting a truck I want a truck, with a bed that can haul. I do not want to one day go and try and pick something up, only to find out that my giant truck has a tiny bed that can't hold it. I do not plan on just throwing by groceries back there.

I am going for the 6.5' box.
Oversimplification: If you want to carry relatively light, but large things, get the 6.5' bed. If you want to carry heavy things, get the 5.5' bed. So, it depends on how you want to use your truck.

I have had over 2500 pounds in my truck bed with the tailgate closed and a soft bed cover rolled up. I'm not sure having the 6.5' bed proves anything about being more truckly or manly. I have carried 8' lumber, 16' lumber, 4x8 sheets of stuff, 10' countertop, etc. For the (few) things that are exactly the "right" length (between 5.5' and 6.5' long, the 6.5' bed is "better". As I said, I do not miss my previous 6.5' bed

Last edited by APT; 01-19-2010 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:07 PM
Don't forget if you are a business owner it might be more advantageous from a tax standpoint to purchase the 6.5' bed. Disclaimer: I am not an accountant and consult your tax professional on all tax questions!!(But I do have a 6.5' bed length F150)

Quick Reply: 2010 FX4 s-crew v. Tundra Limited Double Cab