2009 - 2014 F-150

2010 FX4 s-crew v. Tundra Limited Double Cab

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 10:30 AM
dcf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 FX4 s-crew v. Tundra Limited Double Cab

I am new here, but I wanted to ask those who would know which I should choose between the two? Here is where I am coming from:

-Truck is for personal use (not a work truck). I will be towing a 5k-7k trailer 10+ times per year (both trucks should tow that just fine) so I would get the built in brake controller on the Ford, as opposed to moving my current one from my old rig into the "prewired" Toyota (which is truly "prewired" as it comes with a plug in pigtail you just snap in under the dash)
-I would like the 6.5' bed (that is standard on the Tundra, but I would need to get it sort of "special" on the s-crew, and that makes the s-crew a full foot longer overall v. the 5.5' box -- no fit in garage)
-I am not considering the f150 s-cab as I want full back doors, and the back is still too cramped for me. I do not need the HUGE toyota "megacab".
-I really like the FX4 locker as opposed to this "auto - LSD" thing Toyota uses.
-Price seems pretty comparable at an MSRP of around $42k (I would get the FX4 pretty fully decked out, just no Nav).
-I slightly prefer the Ford interior in black on a white truck (although a white Tundra with the "red rock" leather is nice!)

Anything else I should be thinking about? I am not looking for responses like "Ford Rules" or the American v. Japanese thing (as, sadly, the Toyota is probably more American than the Ford). Is the fully boxed frame v. the "triple frame" really matter for my use? Is the Toyota really that much more reliable than the Ford? The resale on the Toyota seems fantastic, but, hey, I am not buying it as a moneymaking investment.

Obviously I am expecting to get "pro-Ford" responses here, but what I am looking for is simply "why".

Thanks.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:34 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Get the Yota

Old 01-13-2010, 10:44 AM
I traded my 08 Tundra for an 09 F150. I couldn’t get over my Tundra never getting better than 12 avg mpg and I was frequently at the dealer with drivetrain issues, mainly engine problems. I do feel like the 5.7 was faster, but the 5.4 is never short on torque, which is what I want in a truck. The F150 never sees anything over 3500rpms under normal driving where I was constantly over 4500rpms with the Tundra. The 5.4 is much more of a truck engine IMHO, all the power down low where it is supposed to be. In 8500 miles of mixed driving, my FX4 is averaging 16.1 mpg, needless to say, I am VERY happy with the fuel savings. I feel like Toyota needs to design a new frame to be competitive with what the other truck manufacturers have out there. The frame on the Tundra is not on par with its domestic counterparts. Those videos out there of Tundras on the testing grounds are proof enough. The truck looks like a gummy worm with all the frame flex and sheet metal rippling. I bought into the hype thinking Toyota took the best of the domestics but with reliability and resale value. In 3 months of shopping, not one dealer would come even close to giving me what KBB said was the trade-in value of my truck. I ended up eating about 4K, so the truck didn’t hold its value like I was led to believe it would. My truck was also in for repairs 6 times in 11 months. Each visit they kept the truck for over a week. I understand that it is hard to make ground in such a competitive market and I believe that in the next 5 years or so that Toyota will have had enough time to design a truly competitive truck, but only time will tell. Hell, you can’t argue with the numbers:
No. 1: Ford F-Series
413,625 -19.8% YTD
December 2009: 48,209
December 2008: 41,580

No. 6: Toyota Tundra
79,385 -42.2% YTD
December 2009: 8,870
December 2008: 9,191

Old 01-13-2010, 10:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
go to the following website and watch the four videos at the bottom then come back here and let us know your decision.....

http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/f150/

Old 01-13-2010, 10:55 AM
I guess get the one that fits in the garage if that important to you. As far as the brake controller goes. You can get a built in with the ford as an option for not too much, which is much better looking then any plug in one. The last toyota ive been in contact with was worked pretty hard...it was one of the first full size tundras. The guy worked it pretty hard and we went into some pretty nasty places pulling trailers to dump in a waste site. I dont like the interior or exteriors of the toyotas. They seem a little cheap looking to me. But i also am still on the fence about the new fords... I like my body style alittle better. It sounds like either one would be ok for what you will be doing with it. I think bbronco had some pretty good insight since he owned one, but im sure they arent all like that? Right???? ha...good luck or your purchase....And you are right about one thing...its going to be a little biased towards fords...what about the silverado with the max tow package? I would consider that before the Yota.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:30 AM
I lik the tundras, they are pretty and go fast, but I got a much better deal on my '10 F150 than toyota was willing to make

Old 01-13-2010, 11:34 AM
Get the f150 the toyota is no way even close to the f150 the frame on the toyota is a c channel and in some spots riveted.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJMsC7VsK2w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ2OXg0Zcyc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huS-X0USuq0

Old 01-13-2010, 11:44 AM
I have never owned a Toyota, however I have ridden in a driven a couple. I never felt totally comfortble in the Yotas, seats and controls seem to be made for smaller folks, I'm 6' 3" 200 lbs. Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:22 PM
dcf
These were all great responses, thanks, just what I was looking for. I have seen the videos and yes, the stiffness of the Yota frame (specifically in the rear) concerned me. To be honest, I am not crazy about the exterior of the current F150 (someone touched on it above, the old ones just looked better). But, I do like the exterior look of the yota (but exterior "look" is low on my list of what it takes to get me to put the money on the table). But, my concern is the "truck-ness" of it. While I will not be abusing it or pushing the limits, I want a truck that is a truck, not a glorified car/suv.

I have never owned any Japanese vehicle, American and German for me. As for the Silverado that was suggested -- I, nor anyone in my family, has had good luck with Chevys. My S-10 Blazer (bought new in 93) went to about 63k before it started having all sorts of expensive problems. My father's string of Blazers and Trailblazers have been the same.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:41 PM
DCF

I have owned both, previous being an 07 Tundra 5.7 Double Cab. Both are very nice trucks. The interior quality of the ford is far better. The Ford has a much better towing suspension. I had to do a lot of upgrading to the rear to get it comfortable above 7000#'s My ford is comfortable at 8200#'s Except tires (Stupid P rated tires) The rear seats in the Screw are much bigger and much more comfortable. After much towing with both (I work at a boat dealership) I would buy the Ford again in in a heartbeat. I would not go to a Toyota again because of the mechanical issues (Front diff, Driveshaft, entire dash)

On a side note the SYNC is def something I now wont give up.

Good luck on your decision

And by the way my truck is fx4 white with black no nav. And it is really sharp.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:47 PM
I never owned a yota myself but a buddy of mine fell into all the hype surround the new yotas and decided he was going to get one.
Me and him both pull trailers loaded down with 4 wheelers alot and he could never get that yota to keep up with me through hilly roads. Needless to day he didn't keep the yota very long. He told me that his complaints were; that it sucked at pulling loads and he said he was tired of looking into the mirrors and seeing the sheet metal on the bed waving in the wind. What ever that means??
But I have to say in the yotas defense it is a whole lot faster than a f150 and he had the mega cab verson and it had alot of room. To me it just felt more like driving a really big car, I think if you are going to use it for pulling some and using it like a truck was designed to be used i would go with a F150.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:08 PM
FWIW, I sat in a "Platinum" Tundra at the Seattle Auto Show a couple months back. One slam of the door and I knew that I had made the right choice on my F150. The Tundra just doesn't feel solid. I know that there are many other considerations, but it just didn't feel like a solidly built truck to me.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by dcf
Is the Toyota really that much more reliable than the Ford?
Toyota Tundra Slips to Below Average Reliability in Latest Consumer Reports Ratings
http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/new...ity/slips.html

Tundra Problems Snowballing
http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums...&mode=threaded

Old 01-13-2010, 01:20 PM
APT
You should understand the Elocker on the FX4 is only available at low speeds in 4WD locked. Otherwise, it is traction control based open diff for any on pavement situation. I personally would rather have clutch-based LSD.

I am not sure what you mean by special for a Supercrew 6.5' bed.

Are you comparing an extended cab Tundra with a crew cab F-150 for the same MSRP? Seems the F-150 is a better value then, at least at MSRP. The Sueprcrew F-150 will have a much larger back seat, if that is important for you.

I highly recommend the Max Tow package on the F-150. Higher GVWR.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:39 PM
this is my forth f150 I had a 99,01,03,and now a 2010. I use my trucks My 03 had 140000 on it when i traded it in. 90000 of it was towing. I fished as a pro walleye fisherman for 4 years. I pulled my boat that weighed 4-5 thousand pounds loaded. avavage speed 70-80. They all were great trucks. My 2010 is by far the best truck I have ever been in. Go drive one u will know what iam talking about

Quick Reply: 2010 FX4 s-crew v. Tundra Limited Double Cab