2009 - 2014 F-150

Mid-winter F-150 road trip

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 04:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Took some pics of my F150 in the snow today with the Silent Armor 255/75/17s... I am very impressed with them in the snow!

Old 01-29-2010, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by crazynip
Nice report, but I have to ask, I am going through this decision now when picking a new F150, why would you get the 4.6 if the 5.4 is only a few hundred dollar option, especially considering you will be towing horses? I think you may have second thoughts once you have a couple tons of horse in that trailer.
After driving both of them the 4.6L 3V felt more responsive and smoother/quieter. It also lightens the front of the truck by over 100 lbs. which makes it handle better and is advantageous off-road. I also like the 700+ mile range on a tank of fuel. Another advantage is the smaller engine warms up a bit faster and is better for short trips because the cylinder bores are smaller so the combustion gas blowby on a cold engine is less. I also liked the idea that the production lines for the 4.6L 3V are newer and more modern.

After having towed a two-horse trailer with tack-room at freeway speeds over many mountain passes and against some strong headwinds I am more sure than ever that I made the right choice. The 4.6L 3V was able to maintain the over-drive 6th gear even on gentle grades while towing the trailer. At 60 mph the engine was barely loafing along at 1600 rpm's. On the dyno the 4.6L 3V typically makes the same amount (or even a bit more power) than the 5.4L.

It was much harder for me to find the truck I wanted with the 4.6L 3V (the 5.4L is made on more production lines) but my patience paid off and I couldn't be happier.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by jasonsbytes
Took some pics of my F150 in the snow today with the Silent Armor 255/75/17s... I am very impressed with them in the snow!

That is a great looking wheel/tire combo Jason! And I'm glad they are working out for you.

Do you happen to know if your new wheels weigh any less than the OEM cast aluminum wheels?

Old 01-30-2010, 10:47 PM
Real, Nice thread.

Smokewagon, thanks for the advice. I am crunching numbers now, weight and $$! the family payload and hitch weight do add up fast. I'll be close there. I am looking at the Passport trailers that are about 5100-5400 empty and around 7000 gross. That is about 2000 below max tow for my setup. I will do most towing in the VA area but do want to venture out way out west where the rig might be challenged. We shall see, but I am doing my homework and the Mrs says I do to much homework. She is now, now, now and I am more on the patient side. Allrighty, I'll be jumping over to the towing and hauling forum now.

Quick Reply: Mid-winter F-150 road trip