2009 - 2014 F-150

09 F150 Nav update

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 11:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Appt was setup for this AM. Dropped truck off last night. General idea still stands, documentation i got from FORD was either old ( i never looked for dates ) and or policy and procedure has changed..

So. they are going to complete the update for "free" or so. But the DVD set is mine to keep. SO. they are selling me the CDs for cost , not retail. 234.xx. they do retail for 330, which is what it said in their ford ordering site. i was sitting there when they ordered discs so i know first hand . no speculation.

I agreed to buy the discs and pay them for an hours labor. Im sure they will just have me purchase the discs. now , if there is an activation code listed on the CD, how would that be tied to a truck? no VIN or radio ID information was given to FORD. Its not like the CD was made when they ordered it? Maybe it was? In a 1 day turnaround after ordering it was at thier front step.

With DVD's in hand. i will upgrade another truck. I will charge him, to recover some of my money to the point of 'fair' where i paid about 80.00 for update, and maybe 35 for grace note? that sounds fair. That is , if this is possible.

I dont understand why they think its worth 330 plus shop time> wow

i am picking up my truck tonight . i will try to get some informaiton out about the update tomorrow.

and get informaiton on how useful the disc is after the fact..

everyone have a great day. i need a tums.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:25 PM
I see the update disc's are avail on the website now for $199.00

Old 03-02-2010, 12:38 PM
figures.. nice navtec did not know it would be released when i called last wednesday.. what a pile of monkey turds.
oh well. i just hope the version ford shipped is as new or the same as this purchase from them directly . or i will be getting money back . or a free update from ford..

to have technology like this , requires a plan to also support it.

thanks for the update.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:53 PM
They just put it up on Mon or today. The update has been avail since Dec last year wonder why it took them so long?

Old 03-02-2010, 01:12 PM
The dealership just called. truck is finished.. they are calling back with a price.. ill just pay what ever. hope they go easy on me. !!

i am more pissed now at navtec. like the guy last week , had no informaiton on when it would be available on the web site. he did speak to a manager and all!!

Old 03-02-2010, 03:15 PM
Ok. they are confused now that navtec has update out. Are they the same? i believe they would be , they wanted to make sure.

The disc(s) from FORD are labeled Vc1.0, navtec is showing V2.0c
I beleive FORD is labeling this as releace canadate 1.. ?

They are not charging me initialy. they want me to use it. and check to see if anything is actuall 'new' and or changed. It does say when it completed , v2.0 install was successful. and the radio is showing 2.0

I will get the truck tonight. i also have an email in to the dude at FORD. told him it was no big rush. but some clairification would be good!

Old 03-02-2010, 04:13 PM
From what I read through the documentation, every nav radio has an ID tied to it, along with Gracenote. It is my understanding a license code is generated for the update based on the radio ID's. Can you clarify when you pick your truck up? I would hope you'd be able to use the dics again.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:36 PM
pretty sure.. the discs are good, just need key . and i was sent a link for that.. i can see me using it for a buddy of mine.. charging half what i paid. so we each paid a hundred or so. then ill send the discs on their way.. maybe from that point fwd each user of the discs can then just send ford 65.99? that would seem fair.
service manager is telling me , there was a code on discs..? im sure they will be keeping the discs they were sent until i pay up?!

ill let ya know.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by BETCHER78
pretty sure.. the discs are good, just need key . and i was sent a link for that.. i can see me using it for a buddy of mine.. charging half what i paid. so we each paid a hundred or so. then ill send the discs on their way.. maybe from that point fwd each user of the discs can then just send ford 65.99? that would seem fair.
service manager is telling me , there was a code on discs..? im sure they will be keeping the discs they were sent until i pay up?!

ill let ya know.
Cool beans!

Old 03-02-2010, 07:22 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
They are not charging me initialy. they want me to use it. and check to see if anything is actuall 'new' and or changed. It does say when it completed , v2.0 install was successful. and the radio is showing 2.0
That's the real test. I'm of the opinion you'll never really know. Just hate to think you did all this for naught.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like to keep everything up to date with my computers etc, but I have to ask....what is the compelling reason for this update that costs $200?

I think I understand that the update gives you new roads and POI's that became active in the last year, but I find it hard to swallow to spend $200 unless I was traveling cross-country all the time.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:17 PM
Ok.. played with it a litte bit this AM. and a bit late last night. Gracenote is definatly updated, while its still outdated- obviously the update came out in nov. with data from early 2009..

map and poi data is very much updated. Worth 200. or more.. in my situation , prolly not.
i do 'drive all over' on occasion, finding the closest watering hole is nice. ! but all the beer money was spent on the update.

all in all , i could have waited a year, or wished navtec would have told me to wait 1 week. and they would have it out. could have installed myself. Updates like these should never need to be performed by a shop. unless its customer choice.

i should get an invoice today. will pay and pick up dvds later this week.

NOW.. who wants to figure out what we all need to upgrade hardware , to go past 2.xx software?

Old 03-04-2010, 10:40 AM
Disc comes with a "promo code", your radio has a code in it as well. Both entered on the navteq website produce an activation code. IM sure once the promo code is used, it can no longer be used to provide another unique code.
So. 285.99 later.. single use DVD set ( grace note update can be used as many times as you want. no code needed ). Should have waited. I am glad the GN stuff is updated. And there are updated POI's actaully a lot of them.

But this is highway robbery. They did not charge me for the install , they kenw i could do it myself. they wanted to do it as a learning thing..

All in all . i would invest 300 towards a new headunit. sync is nice. travel link is nice. but ,, come on.
eveyone have a great week.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:39 PM
Disc comes with a "promo code", your radio has a code in it as well. Both entered on the navteq website produce an activation code. IM sure once the promo code is used, it can no longer be used to provide another unique code.
So. 285.99 later.. single use DVD set ( grace note update can be used as many times as you want. no code needed ). Should have waited. I am glad the GN stuff is updated. And there are updated POI's actaully a lot of them.

But this is highway robbery. They did not charge me for the install , they kenw i could do it myself. they wanted to do it as a learning thing..

All in all . i would invest 300 towards a new headunit. sync is nice. travel link is nice. but ,, come on.
eveyone have a great week.
Well, know....doesn't that suck! Sent you a PM.

Quick Reply: 09 F150 Nav update