2009 - 2014 F-150

Anyone mounted a CB antenna?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 03:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone mounted a CB antenna?

Just wondering what kind of antenna and where you mounted it. I'm going old school on the new truck.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:04 AM
I've installed HAM antennas of various kinds. I had a whip which is actually a CB whip mounted in the stake pocket .That put the tip 12.5" above the ground ! My present 2m antenna is a Larsen mounted on the cab roof [std cab] .This is the best way and requires dropping the head liner and drilling a hole .Cable is then fed inside the rear quarter panel .Power cable goes from the battery through the firewall,along door sill channel to behind the seat.Radio is behind the seat with control head on dash. Do not attempt to feed cable behind the quarter panel - remove the panel .The cable must be carefully installed away from the side impact bag. Be very careful of the thin wires that go to the gas cylinder !!!
Become a HAM !

Old 01-30-2010, 10:31 AM
Oh yeah. I didn't even think of those. I've got the canopy airbag thing too. Two questions. What's the state pocket and would a whip work mounted on the roof, or would it distort the metal?

Old 01-30-2010, 12:05 PM
Old 01-30-2010, 12:07 PM
http://members.fortunecity.com/breed...hop/page2.html
These are the stake pocket [on the bed rails] mounts.
The "CB Whip" is 8.5' high ! You must at least clear the Interstate over passes which are 13.5' .Mounted on the roof is not strong enough for that large a whip . Also understand that you may be hitting branches occasionally. My Larsen is about 30" high and very flexible. They do make smaller CB whips for roof mounting.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by mete
http://members.fortunecity.com/breed...hop/page2.html
These are the stake pocket [on the bed rails] mounts.
The "CB Whip" is 8.5' high ! You must at least clear the Interstate over passes which are 13.5' .Mounted on the roof is not strong enough for that large a whip . Also understand that you may be hitting branches occasionally. My Larsen is about 30" high and very flexible. They do make smaller CB whips for roof mounting.
Hey thanks. I'll have to think about that. I've just read a lot of CB forums and it seems that the 102' whip is about the best, IF you can stand the sight of it. I'm sure for what driving I do, the position of the mount isn't going to make that much difference. I'll figure something out.

Quick Reply: Anyone mounted a CB antenna?