2009 - 2014 F-150

My bakflip experience -- the good , the bad & the ugly

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 09:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jmaimin
As with any products out there. It's very difficult to ensure that all folks will always be happy all the time. There's little doubt that the BakFlip is indeed a great product. It is well designed, well built and in the vast majority of instances, works exceedingly well. Granted, I'll be the first to say that the cover has undergone changes throughout the years, all of which have been intended continuously strive for perfection. The truth is that BAK never ever quit trying to help Mr. Pontius (who wrote this thorough review). I personally oversaw 2 of the installs, all of which were done courteously and meticulously. The truth is this: BakFlip is a tonneau cover. It is not an ornament that sits on a table in your lounge. It is not an expensive picture that hangs on a wall. It is a tonneau cover that is built to withstand daily use and provide security, overall great aesthetics and maximum protection from the elements. I't is not built for those that walk around the cover for endless periods of time inspecting it for tiny imperfections. With this said, if any of the covers we make are not up to standard, we will replace them. Mr. Pontius, I'm sure you'll at least concur that I was very patient, very courteous and very willing to help. I just reached a point eventually, that I felt that I could have delivered the queen herself and this would still have not been sufficient. I will say with certainty that whilst the BakFlip is good enough for Ford Motor Company to include as part of their branded offerings, it is not good enough for Mr. Pontius. In my deduction in dealing with you, I could have very well given you my first born and it would still not have been enough. I will say to all you forum loyalists, that I was as patient as any person could be in putting up with the **** attention to detail that caused us to replace this man's cover multiple times. There was clear confusion in terms of buying an aftermarket product vs. the OEM product we produce as well. If we had simply installed a regularly designed BakFlip (That currently works well for most of the world), we would not have run into the issues of the real seal which seems to be at the root of all of the issues Mr. pontius had. Unfortunately the new seal which he insisted on, required more R&D as was simply not ready to put out, despite our efforts. In retrospect, I should have just insisted that this was the way the BakFlip is built and if he didn't like it, should have bough a different kind of product. I have little doubt that the manufacturer of this "different kind of product" would now be writing this posting in defense of their product.

In closing I will say that I am bent on consumer satisfaction. I will stop at nothing to try and help wherever I can. This should be evident in my relentless effort to help Mr. Pontius, all to no avail.

I understand if someone is not entirely happy with a product we make. Some folks are just too difficult to satisfy 100% and that seems to be the case in this instance. The However, it can never be said that we make bad product or that we'll ever stop honoring our commitments to helping all those folks that have trusted in BAK to produce the worlds most functional cover for them.

We all have problems in business. It what makes the world turn and what keeps us all striving for better each day. Even Mercedes Benz and Rolls Royce have service departments. Nothing is ever beyond perfect. Please don't allow one overly meticulous persons account of our great product ruin your opportunity. I would only ask that you call me or anyone of my helpful staff at BAK if you have any doubt that you're not getting the best product available period!

All the best,

Julian Maimin
BAK Industries
julian@bakliner.com

Wow, where to start after this reply!!!

I was considering the Bakflip but certainly don't want to be another of the perfectionist guinea pigs that will pay hard earned money for a shoddy product that is undergoing design revisions at my expense!

I thought his review was both VERY fair and well done - and don't think that he was being a perfectionist in expecting your product to both fit his truck and not be buggered up like it was assembled by a 5 year old. To say that "offering your first born wouldn't have been enough" and your other remarks indicate to me that the problem at BAK starts at the top!

Your product may be good enough for Ford Motor Company but that's not saying much in my book. They will no doubt sell whatever gives them the profit margin they're looking for and you obviously got your foot in the door with a new product at the right price. Too bad you didn't follow thru with a quality product. Looks like the perfect cover for a Tundra too - will fit in perfectly with their corporate image these days.

This guy drove 4 hours to your place on SEVERAL occasions to give you the opportunity to rectify the problem, not just put another piece of crap on his truck. If it needed more R&D then it shouldn't be offered as a solution. This guy just wants the cover to NOT LEAK during normal rains - how difficult is that?? You should have offered him his money back and taken the junk off his nice looking truck - he deserves better! How many mistakes are typical at BAK - wrong product, wrong address, substituted model, leaks, gouges, shims fall out, etc. etc.

If folks want to buy this stuff fine, but don't go whining about all the other shoddy workmanship that you'll then be expected to accept as status quo when purchasing a new vehicle (lousy fit and finish, leaking 3rd brake lights, etc. etc.) because items like the BAK products are good-enough!!

No thanks Mr. Maimin!! Guess I'm a perfectionist too!!

Old 01-31-2010, 09:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOOO! One word to describe Bak-flip Awsome!! Nuff said

Old 01-31-2010, 09:27 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have no problem with someone reporting a bad or good experience with a product -- that's what a site like this is for but, as of this point in time, both sides have said their piece here. I'm going to shut this down (lock) now as we're not going to be the place that two individuals have a battle about a product. While I know you guys have communicated extensively, I'd suggest that you continue to do so -- OFF of this site.

Best of luck to both of you in your endeavors.

-RP-

Quick Reply: My bakflip experience -- the good , the bad & the ugly