2009 - 2014 F-150

Traction control

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010 | 11:14 AM
|
Traction control

So it snowed a little bit here in my part of the world and it is still on the ground.

I guess I'm still just a bit of a kid a heart.

When you turn the traction control off, it still works a little. If you floor it on those little slick spots it doesn't turn the wheels like 60 mph like the '08 would. Also, with the traction control off it still does not let you slide sideways at all. You can feel the anti-lock brakes kick in and straigten the truck back up.

Sure this is a good thing, but I figured you could turn it off somehow.

I know at some point this spring I will get into a mudhole and almost be out, but the traction control will limit me.

Any thoughts on this?

Old 02-01-2010 | 12:29 PM
APT
Check your owners manual.

For the sideways fun times, hold the RSC button off for about 5 seconds. This will let you have fun under 35mph.

A portion of the traction control system is a brake applied form of limited slip differential. If one wheel is spinning much faster than another on the same drive axle, brake is applied to the faster spinning wheel. There is no performance penalty for this compared to an open diff and can be quite useful, so it cannot be disabled. This is what you felt on those patches. The TC disable mode you were in just reduces or eliminates engine torque reduction for those situations.

Last edited by APT; 02-01-2010 at 12:31 PM.
Old 02-01-2010 | 02:18 PM
|
Originally Posted by APT
Check your owners manual.

For the sideways fun times, hold the RSC button off for about 5 seconds. This will let you have fun under 35mph.

A portion of the traction control system is a brake applied form of limited slip differential. If one wheel is spinning much faster than another on the same drive axle, brake is applied to the faster spinning wheel. There is no performance penalty for this compared to an open diff and can be quite useful, so it cannot be disabled. This is what you felt on those patches. The TC disable mode you were in just reduces or eliminates engine torque reduction for those situations.
Owners manual?

Oh you mean that leather book my wife is using to hold up one corner of the kitchen table!
I guess I could try reading that.

Under 35mph...Good gosh who would want to be sideways going any faster than that?

All makes since

Thanks APT

Old 02-01-2010 | 02:42 PM
Talking

3valve, you've got to do a little research on the Sn*w Drift Rally just completed .See comments on the forum of www.specialstage.com Conditions were terrible mostly ice . Speeds ? Up to 100 mph on straights and 40-60 on curves . No studs of course !! We had similar conditions a week before at Rally New York. I do radio work there so I got to drive my new F-150 on the course --at 25 mph !! With 4X4 and traction control . Rally on !

Quick Reply: Traction control