2009 - 2014 F-150

2010 Transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 03:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Transmission issues

Has the tranny problem been resolved on the 2010s or do you still need to have it reflashed?

Old 02-02-2010, 03:45 PM
took my truck in they told me there no reflash for 2010 my truck has had 2nd gear slip since i bought it

Last edited by LIFTED07; 02-02-2010 at 03:48 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:09 PM
Got my 2010 flashed...

Old 02-02-2010, 08:51 PM
The 6-speed auto on my 2010 is awesome. It is ALMOST telepathic as far as always being in the right gear at the right time. But it is the 3V 4.6L which has different programming from the 5.4L. I can generally upshift and downshift with the accelerator pedal if I am anticipating conditions before they happen. It is very responsive and shifts are almost always firm but inconspicuous. About one shift every hundred miles or so it will do something nebulous or throw in a short pause but it only lasts for a brief moment and doesn't feel like it's hurting anything. That usually happens if it encounters an unexpected input right when it's about to shift anyway.

The variable camshaft timing on this engine can produce good useable torque at relatively low RPM's with glassy like smoothness and the transmission is not afraid to put that torque to good use. But if you want quick accelleration it is quick to drop the gears if you tap the pedal down quickly. When it comes to shift strategy, the trucks computer doesn't just consider the amount of throttle you have requested but it looks at how quickly you depressed the accellerator. A long slow press will be more likely to hold the same gear (or not downshift as far) while a quick depression of the pedal will cause it to instantly downshift one or more gears. The further you press it down at once, the more gears it will downshift. A similar but opposite strategy is evident on the upshift when you back off the throttle. That's why I call it telepathic.

It is very different from old style throttles and a huge improvement once you understand how to drive it. Use the accelerator pedal in a more deliberate manner in order to make the tranny responsive. This does not mean it is necessary to press the pedal FURTHER than you normally would but rather make the throttle inputs more deliberate in terms of not gradually easing on or off the pedal unless you want it to hold the gear you are in. In this case make the throttle request less abrupt and it will resist downshifting. I don't have enough hours behind one of the newer 5.4L's to know how much similarity there is in this regard nor do I know how long it takes the adaptive programming to adjust. I just know that my tranny came into it's element as I figured out what it was doing (or maybe it figured out how I like to drive?).

After towing a 2000 lb. 2-horse trailer 2,000 miles I fully expected it to shift less than optimally when I unhooked the trailer but this was not the case. If it took any time at all to learn that there was much less load it didn't take long for it to re-adapt.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by Real
The 6-speed auto on my 2010 is awesome. It is ALMOST telepathic as far as always being in the right gear at the right time. But it is the 3V 4.6L

I was about to say you must be joking.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:09 PM
Originally Posted by OutlawFord
Got my 2010 flashed...
yea well they told me there was no fix for my vin # they drove my truck 5 miles and there was no problem with it i took the service writer up the road and he said oh thats normal

Old 02-02-2010, 10:11 PM
The same flash for the 09s will work on the 10s. I purchased a 10 in October and under light throttle in first gear it shifts pretty hard into second. Also the truck likes to be in 5th gear going 25 mph and it feels like its putting a strain on the engine. I also get a surging issue when cold. Besides the tranny this truck is great but the 10s tranny tune is definitely far from perfect. I plan to take it to the shop after a few thousand more miles to see if it gets better.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:14 PM
yea that what mine does but they told me the reflash was not for my truck

Old 02-03-2010, 08:27 AM
I agree with REAL. My December 2009 build (2010 Model) shifts just like he says his does. We must be the exceptions. The tranny isn't perfect, but it is GREAT! It blows my 2008 Screw away. I only have one issue -not really an issue - and that is I can get rubber real easily. If I hammer on it from a stop, it will lay rubber until it shifts to second. With all the 3.73L/S rear ends I've had,I've never been able to get rubber - even with tunes. I love this truck!

Old 02-03-2010, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by Smokewagun
I agree with REAL. My December 2009 build (2010 Model) shifts just like he says his does. We must be the exceptions. The tranny isn't perfect, but it is GREAT! It blows my 2008 Screw away. I only have one issue -not really an issue - and that is I can get rubber real easily. If I hammer on it from a stop, it will lay rubber until it shifts to second. With all the 3.73L/S rear ends I've had,I've never been able to get rubber - even with tunes. I love this truck!
Same here with H-D 2010...I thought it was slippin but its the way REAL explained it.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:26 PM
yea well you stand on mine and when it shifts into 2nd feels like the trans is gonna come out of the truck

Old 02-03-2010, 06:17 PM
My 09 has a tranny issue but I am hoping Ford will come out with a new fix soon. If it’s wet and you get on it to hard there is an almost instant upshift to 2nd (or 3rd) which slams so hard I've thought it broke something a few times. This also happens if driving in dirt or mud. I had a reflash to try and fix this, the slipping and dropping into first while slowing for a stoplight. Now the truck shifts worse than ever, however I must say after reading how the flash is supposed to be done this might be because the dealership didn’t drive the truck to relearn it properly. They flashed it and gave it back to me, only 1 tenth of a mile was put on the truck from when I let them have it and when they gave it back. Does anyone know if it will ever learn to shift right or do I have to have it redone?? It’s been about 500 miles since the re-flash and it is still short shifting unless WOT and doesn’t downshift unless you stomp it quick which makes for a rough ride for the kids and wife. It was better before they messed with it.

Johnie

Old 02-03-2010, 10:24 PM
I've had my '09 reflashed and after 3,000 miles I guess it is still trying to learn my driving style. Mine does pretty good when the vehicle is warmed up, but when it is cold the downshifts feel like someone kicked me in the rear the way it slams into the lower gear. I have talked to the dealership about it and they have reproduced it but don't have a clue as to how else to fix it.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:25 AM
Smile '09 tranny shifting

I have an '09 FX4 with 5500 miles, and the tranny had the same hard 1-2 and 2-1 shifting -- sometimes a hard bang. I also had the issue with the tranny temp gauge dropping to zero, or not reading temp. Had set up a appointment for a reflash, but on a snowmobile trip, my battery went dead-5 mths old. Got it to a local dealer-battery was defective with bad cells -- now ever since the battery was disconnected for the replacement, the hard shifting is gone, and the tranny temp is now responding normally. The tranny shifts are so smooth, and I am amazed at how it drives now after 500 miles since the disconnect. Never went for the reflash--cold or warmed up--shifting is great--love the tranny now. Don't know if this is a solution for all, but thought it may help. My truck was a locate, and if it was test drove a lot, maybe the computer was learning all different styles of driving..

Old 05-30-2010, 01:21 PM
Smile 2010 F150 Transmission

Thanks for the advice. I also had the same issues with my 5.4L. I was getting ready to take it into the dealer untill I read your post. I disconnected the battery and then reconnected it. I drove it around for a few miles with light throttle inputs, and gave the computer a chance to reconfigure. It works great now. No more shutter shifting in stop and go traffic. Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: 2010 Transmission issues