2009 - 2014 F-150

F-150 out-hauling Ram, Tundra, Chevy

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 10:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F-150 out-hauling Ram, Tundra, Chevy

Handling with an empty bed is one thing, with a 993 lb. load its quite another.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbXqEqM_aUY

Old 02-07-2010, 12:14 PM
I've watched all these videos. It's still a case of a manufacturer doing tests that make it's own truck look the best.

What I'd like to see, but haven't been able to find, are tests done by an unbiased 3rd party that puts all these trucks against each other on equal terms.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:24 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Tbird69
What I'd like to see, but haven't been able to find, are tests done by an unbiased 3rd party that puts all these trucks against each other on equal terms.
http://special-reports.pickuptrucks....shoot-out.html

Old 02-07-2010, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
Good article - so FTA - the F-150 got owned in "power and pulling" but made up for it in "features" and "fuel economy."

Old 02-07-2010, 02:05 PM
Originally Posted by statikuz
Good article - so FTA - the F-150 got owned in "power and pulling" but made up for it in "features" and "fuel economy."
It was driving impressions, power, features and fuel economy. F-150 won 3 out of 4: driving impressions, features and fuel economy. We all know the F-150 isn't the fastest, but that isn't much to worry about unless you buy a truck to out-accelerate everyone on the road for 0-60 times.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:36 PM
I dont plan on ever driving like that with 1k pounds of crap in the back, lol. I gues it comes down to a safety thing. In case you had to maneuver quickly you still could and still maintain control.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seeing that Dodge in the beginning I can believe it has that much body roll with those coils in the rear. Sure, it rides nice but they aren't good for anything if you use it like a truck.

Trending Topics

Old 02-07-2010, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by MTM Ford
Seeing that Dodge in the beginning I can believe it has that much body roll with those coils in the rear. Sure, it rides nice but they aren't good for anything if you use it like a truck.
The amount of people that will actually use it like a truck is just a very small percentage....

The fact is, pretty much any truck on the market today will do the same jobs just fine. One might do one slightly better then the other, but the job will get done.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:46 AM
Agreed - for 99.9% of people, "use it like a truck" means "throw furniture, camping equipment, bicycles, etc. in the back every so often." Any light truck on the market is going to do it just fine. If you're using your truck for any real heavy-duty hauling, you're not going to buy an F-150 or a Ram 1500 or any of the other light-duty trucks.

The bottom line is that people buy trucks based on their brand preference and desire for various features. I bought an F-150 because I've always liked them, I didn't go drive a Silverado or a Sierra or a Ram or a Tundra or anything else. Sure, I tote some random things around in the back every now and again but every other truck would do it just fine. If I was more of a Dodge fan, I'm sure my Ram would suit me just as well.

It's not like anyone who is planning to buy a Dodge or any other make is going to buy a Ford because it will perform better 1% of the time. Buyers of trucks in this segment are going to buy whatever they want and whatever they like - no sense in the ignorant bashing of every other make and claiming your truck of choice is superior in all aspects.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by bluegreenf150
It was driving impressions, power, features and fuel economy. F-150 won 3 out of 4: driving impressions, features and fuel economy. We all know the F-150 isn't the fastest, but that isn't much to worry about unless you buy a truck to out-accelerate everyone on the road for 0-60 times.
I'm not picking on you bluegreenf150, but am I ever tired of hearing this BS. We can admit we want a more powerful truck without being called a 16 year old a hole kid looking to race at the stoplights.

Even if I drive like a normal everyday "pickup" driver (whatever that is) I don't neccesarily want to use (hypothetically) 80% of the throttle to get up to speed in a respectable manner. Maybe I want to use 50-60% of the throttle. Its nice to have something left in "reserve" if you know what I mean. There is nothing wrong with that. It doesn't mean your anti-Ford or anti-F150.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by Power Kid
I'm not picking on you bluegreenf150, but am I ever tired of hearing this BS. We can admit we want a more powerful truck without being called a 16 year old a hole kid looking to race at the stoplights.
A little sensitive, are we?

Nobody in this thread used the term "16 year old a hole kid looking to race at the stoplights" except for you.

Calm down.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bluegreen is right though. Everyone know's the 5.4 isn't the fastest thing out there but it will tow/haul anything.

So in that case he's right, if you want something for 0-60 times a 5.4 isn't the best choice.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by Real
A little sensitive, are we?

Nobody in this thread used the term "16 year old a hole kid looking to race at the stoplights" except for you.

Calm down.
Not at all. I'm not the sensitive one, perhaps you are? Heaven forbid anyone sugest the 5.4L is weakest link in the F150. Everyone knows it, but don't mention you want more power or your just a 0-60 guy. Silly.

Obviously even Ford knows this. Given the new 3.5EB, the 5.0L and the 6.2L all make a tad more than 310 hp.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:48 PM
I'm personally tired of reading all the BS that says more HP would make the F150 a better truck. There's a seriously LARGE point being missed here. Ford designs their engines to be worked hard everyday, something the Hemi (for example) isn't designed for. If you work a Hemi Ram or even a 5.7 Tundra the way the F150 is designed to work, they will leave you stranded on the side of the road. While they sit there with steam billowing through the grill, the underpowered 5.4 will chug right past and up that 7% grade pulling 7000 lbs.

Even with less HP you'll still get there first. Since Ford engines are built to work, they'll last damn near forever.

Need proof that trucks like the Ram and the Tundra aren't designed to work? Have a look at the rear suspension on the Ram and the frame under the Tundra. The only other trucks that are capable of doing any kind of work are the Silverado/Sierra, and they're a distant second at best compared to the F150's work ethic.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:39 PM
There is no such thing as too much power, lights too bright, a gas tank too big or a horn too loud. Thank goodness Ford is responding. Power kid, dont forget the 3.7 cyclone base v6. Its rumored to make 280-290 hp. Dont know about torque but that engine will kick every base engine out there I bet. I bet they sell a lot of these in base work trucks.

Quick Reply: F-150 out-hauling Ram, Tundra, Chevy