2009 - 2014 F-150

stability control equals no fun in the snow :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010 | 10:01 PM
|
guess you guys stay on the pavement with your trucks.....the engine braking and abs being applied on the corners, can pretty much get you stuck just pulling out of a sideroad onto a mainroad in the snow.....or kill engine power when you need to accelerate, than boom the truck surprises you when the engine power is killed

or driving in snow where you need wheelspeed to keep your momentum, specially approaching a hill

it snows here in michigan

i dont need an idiot proof truck to drive in snow....apparently some people do

Old 02-10-2010 | 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by dline
guess you guys stay on the pavement with your trucks.....the engine braking and abs being applied on the corners, can pretty much get you stuck just pulling out of a sideroad onto a mainroad in the snow.....or kill engine power when you need to accelerate, than boom the truck surprises you when the engine power is killed

or driving in snow where you need wheelspeed to keep your momentum, specially approaching a hill

it snows here in michigan

i dont need an idiot proof truck to drive in snow....apparently some people do
You need to learn to drive if the systems are cutting in when your driving then. It was solid ice this morning when i left. I slide all the way down my hill to the main road it was that bad. ABS cutting in the whole way down the hill. But when i got to the main road i knew that if i gave it to much power i would get wheel spin. So knowing that i took it easy and TC didn't even come on. But lets just say i did give it power and TC was not on the truck. How would that help you. Wheel spin is not good for traction. it's the negative. Also when driving on ice/snow your wheels shouldn't be turning faster than you are driving anyway. This means you are putting to much power to the wheels. Speed should climb in sync with revs for best grip. Making them spin faster than your going gives you less grip. Remember the TC kills power depending on how much, too much you give for conditions. If you floor it on the slippery stuff then it will drastically cut power, if you give it only a little bit to much power then you will hardly even notice it cuts in. By you saying it cuts in and kills power that abruptly means you need to perfect your throttle control. TC or no TC dont make any difference if you drive correctly. It only cuts in when you dont drive to suit conditions.

Old 02-10-2010 | 10:24 PM
|
in sand and snow you need to keep momentum....wheelspeed

i enjoy offroading these features are useless to me offroad or in deep snow covered roads

on ice its a no win situation....today i tried turning around in 2wd in the snow, the truck lost so much power it almost died, and this was in deep snow....to the point where i had to go back to 4wd

i will have to see if the baja 1000 trucks are using all these features on their trucks now, since they seem needed apparently

driving like a grandma would cause lots of accidents, thats how you have to drive with this system

someone let me know if they have figured out how to turn this off.....thats all i want for a response

Last edited by dline; 02-10-2010 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-10-2010 | 10:32 PM

i enjoy offroading these features are useless to me offroad or in deep snow covered roads

on ice its a no win situation

i will have to see if the baja 1000 trucks are using all these features on their trucks now, since they seem needed apparently

driving like a grandma would cause lots of accidents, thats how you have to drive with this system

someone let me know if they have figured out how to turn this off.....thats all i want for a response

your respones fully expalins your lack of driveing skills and knowledge.

Next time i got out in the ice i must remember to make sure i wheel spin all the way to my job site or i wont make it there like i have done every other day.

Old 02-10-2010 | 11:00 PM
Truck of the Month
i seem to do donuts just fine in the snow by pressing and holding the tc button...??? even over 35mph it only kicks in the RSC and the ESC, the TSC (traction control) still stays disabled.

Old 02-10-2010 | 11:26 PM
The best example I can give is last year I had a v-6 mustang to use in the winter here in buffalo ny. If I didnt turn off traction control everytime I drove somewere It would never be able to get enough tire spin to get me up to speed...Let alone out of deep drifts in the streets....

Old 02-11-2010 | 07:57 AM
APT

The first statement is true. The second is common, This is why most 4WD pickups disable ESC and engine torque reduction in 4WD locked modes.

Old 02-11-2010 | 10:03 AM
|
Originally Posted by Barritia
your respones fully expalins your lack of driveing skills and knowledge.

Next time i got out in the ice i must remember to make sure i wheel spin all the way to my job site or i wont make it there like i have done every other day.
read 2 sentences up in the same post, ice is a no win situation.

i bet it'd be real fun to try and pull a trailer or pull a stuck truck out of somewhere with all these idiot proof safety features.

Old 02-11-2010 | 07:15 PM
I feel the same, I wanted to do some drifting and sliding around. It is good to practice control techniques and learn how your car handles in those situations. All these electronics make people feel invincible and when they exceed the computers abilities they are SOL.

Old 02-11-2010 | 09:14 PM
read 2 sentences up in the same post, ice is a no win situation.

i bet it'd be real fun to try and pull a trailer or pull a stuck truck out of somewhere with all these idiot proof safety features.
Well i guess the 7000lb trailer i pull everyday through the snow we have had has not really happened lol. I can still climb up the montain with my trailer to get to my house even when the road is solid ice in the morning. But in your world i can only make it up that mountain with wheelspin LMFAO.

See the tracks below. That was in the morning before any cars had even hit the roads. I pulled my trailer to the jobsite and then come back and got my wife to go get some lunch. Didnt have TC come on once the whole time i pulled the trailer. Infact it helped with traction because of the trailer weight. Didnt need one bit of wheelspin.

Old 02-11-2010 | 10:22 PM
We had the first "real" snowfall I've ever seen in my lifetime here in the DFW area. 10" on the ground and it's not stopping. I have the 20" Pirelli's, very rarely did the TCS have to kick in to correct me. I'm a young man too, but I don't need to do donuts in a heavy a$$ truck. That's for damn sure.

If you're having to gun it to get from a stop onto a main road to avoid getting hit, then the other people are driving way too fast for that kind of weather. I just spent all night trying to help a guy in an old Silverado get out of a ditch. He slid off the road and planted the cab into a tree on the passenger side. He was all jacked up with huge mudders underneath. I heard him utter "but I had it in 4wd!" as we were trying to winch him out. Yes, the oncoming truck, a friend of his, was hugging the middle of the road and forced him off. But I know this guy had to be going too fast for him to lose traction, even in 4wd.

I may be a youngun and inexperienced to this kind of weather, but I know how to keep myself safe. I kept it in 4Hi and in 2-3 gear, 10mph or more below the posted speed limit on the road I was on, and got around as sure-footed as a mountain goat.

Last edited by SFCFX4; 02-11-2010 at 10:27 PM.
Old 02-12-2010 | 06:22 AM
Nice story SFCFX4! Slowing down is the best thing you can do in poor driving conditions. People who own 4x4's fail to realize that 4x4's are actually worse when trying to stop! 4x4 is great for hills, slippery boat ramps, getting the vehicle moving on slippery roads etc etc. I drive in snow 4-5 months of the year and I believe tire selection is more important than 4x4 for overall safety and I own a 4x4.

For the OP I think the manual explains how to disable TSC to a certain degree, I can't quote the page number right now though.

Old 02-12-2010 | 02:43 PM
Seeing a nice truck doing work makes it even nicer.

Old 02-12-2010 | 03:56 PM
|
Ok if you want to go fast in deep snow and keep moving you need to keep your momentum up.....if your stuck....yes you dont want to spin or else you will dig deeper, but i would like to control this myself and not have the truck do whatever it wants

Old 02-12-2010 | 03:59 PM
|
Or even to get a run at an obstacle to build momentum...seems these features would limit you

Quick Reply: stability control equals no fun in the snow :(