2009 - 2014 F-150

Traction control

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010 | 08:36 PM
I like the TCS button in my Mustang. You push it once and is off and stays off. None of this hold for 5 secs, or back on stuff. Better acceleration when its off.

Old 02-13-2010 | 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff H
TC and RCS needs a better lockout solution. While Wheeling in Moab yesterday it came on several times after having it turned off. I don't know if it came back on after shifting from 4hi to 2hi and back again or if putting it from park to drive did it but I do know it was very inconvenient to have it keep popping on.
Tell me if I am correct.

1) You bought a brand-new 2010 Platinum with the Max Tow Package.
2) You lifted it.
3) You put oversize mud-terrain tires on it
4) You did not re-tune the PCM parameters
5) Now you are unhappy because the system is not working the way it was designed to work.

BTW, I thought Moab was mostly red rock. You shouldn't need wheel-spin to get through. Also, the max-tow package is not a good idea if you will off-roading.

Old 02-13-2010 | 09:46 PM
If you turn TC off in 2wd then switch to 4wd you have to hit the button again...

Old 02-14-2010 | 03:34 AM
Originally Posted by OutlawFord
If you turn TC off in 2wd then switch to 4wd you have to hit the button again...
If you haven't messed up the functioning of the stability and traction systems by modding the truck without re-tuning those systems then you should only need to turn them off under very limited circumstances.

Old 02-14-2010 | 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by Real
Tell me if I am correct.

1) You bought a brand-new 2010 Platinum with the Max Tow Package.
2) You lifted it.
3) You put oversize mud-terrain tires on it
4) You did not re-tune the PCM parameters
5) Now you are unhappy because the system is not working the way it was designed to work.

BTW, I thought Moab was mostly red rock. You shouldn't need wheel-spin to get through. Also, the max-tow package is not a good idea if you will off-roading.
Easy there big fella, there is no need to pull an attitude. A level kit is not "lifted" and 33" tires are not Jumbo mudders, and at what point did I say that I was in the rocks? Did I say I was unhappy? And why would you even bring up max-tow?

I think you missed my point, it would be nice to have control over the TC and RSC. Maybe a button to push that didn't require waiting 5 seconds every time you shift from drive to park or shifting from 2hi to 4hi.

Many times whether in mud or snow, momentum and spinning the tires will get you down to the drier ground under the mud or snow. I don't know any simpler way to explain this but if you have been off roading all your life I can't believe you wouldn't know this.

Old 02-14-2010 | 08:15 PM
If your of road your going to be in 4x4 99% of the time anyway so there's no need to wait all of 5 secs to turn off TC. Turn the TC off when you chage to 4x4 and then you dont have to worry about it until your out of the bad stuff and back on the normal road. Then you can turn it back on.

Old 02-14-2010 | 08:35 PM
A level kit is not "lifted" and 33" tires are not Jumbo mudders
According to people who know more about it that I do, a 2" level kit is enough to make the yaw sensors more reactive. I don't know why you would not consider it lifted, that's exactly what it is.

Sorry if it seemed like I was copping an attitude but I have seen too many people make mods without understanding the consequences and then proceed to blame the poor performance on the vehicle.

I have had my stock 2010 XLT 4x4 off-road a number of times on steep surfaces, off-camber and in very slippery clay and snow and it has performed admirably. In fact, if you spin your tires on a steep off-camber surface you're usually pretty screwed anyway. These systems will prevent a TON of serious and deadly roll-overs by people who THINK they don't need them.

Old 02-14-2010 | 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by Barritia
If your of road your going to be in 4x4 99% of the time anyway so there's no need to wait all of 5 secs to turn off TC. Turn the TC off when you chage to 4x4 and then you dont have to worry about it until your out of the bad stuff and back on the normal road. Then you can turn it back on.
True, but I would only recommend turning it off in very specific off-road situations (when you NEED wheelspin). But in my observation, beginning off-roaders generally think they need wheelspin far more often than they actually do. Of course if your chassis is not stock and the system no longer functions properly you might want to disable it permanently (or find someone who is qualified and willing to change the parameters stored in the systems).

Old 02-14-2010 | 08:49 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love TC and RSC. My point was that it would be nice to have a simpler way to turn it off and keep it off.

Old 02-14-2010 | 09:00 PM
If pressing a button is looked at as being a hard way to do something then no wonder there's so many fat people in the US. Every car i have had that had some type of RSC and TC worked in the exact same way. I think it's a well thought out system. It stops people from turning it off and leaveing it off and it can be turned of when needed. Which for 99.9% of people is a perfect setup. I know far to many people who would turn it off just because they think they can control the vehicle better than the safty system can.

It wont be long before we have a system like city safty on all vehicles and im sure we will get the same people complaining that the system affect their driving skill and that they can slow down better than the system can. But like any of these safty systems. They only function and come into play when the driver is not in control of there vehicle.

Last edited by Barritia; 02-14-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 02-15-2010 | 03:50 PM
I guess all of us fat, lazy, and stupid people should just keep our opinions to ourselves. I do apologize for having an opinion and I sure hope I didn't offend you.

Old 02-15-2010 | 04:30 PM
Modern technology sure is getting good. I have had active handling/TC systems stock in my vettes since 99. It was improved every 2-3 years and has always amazed me. The Ford OEM setup is a little more restrictive I guess it is not programmed for a sports car type use. The first time I took the 09 out on ice I was surprised I could not spin a tire or slide around. It is very safe for the wife which is what I like. The manual says something about push the button once and it disables the throttle cut back or half of the system. Hold it for 5 seconds and it disables the throttle and brake modulation. I think the system is still active for slides at all times though. I haven't messed with it much. I was able to roost snow with all four after holding the button for 5 seconds. It was fun. I don't so much miss a locking rear diff with this traction system. I had one wheel on ice and one one try in the driveway for testing. The computer caught the tire on ice and put the power to the other wheels. It is a very nice fairly dummy proof system. Maybe Ford can put a competition mode in their AH like GM, lol!

Last edited by L8 APEX; 02-15-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-15-2010 | 08:09 PM
I guess all of us fat, lazy, and stupid people should just keep our opinions to ourselves. I do apologize for having an opinion and I sure hope I didn't offend you.
Sorry the reply was not dirrected at you. Just that i find it funny that pressing a button is seen as being hard work or a hassle.

Old 02-15-2010 | 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by Barritia
Sorry the reply was not dirrected at you. Just that i find it funny that pressing a button is seen as being hard work or a hassle.
Dude, Ur not getting this whole thing...The button is limited, Only works till 35mph tire spin, Then after that you have to hold the button down again. It would be way better if once you held the button down it kept all the TCs off below 35mph untill the key was shut off.

Old 02-15-2010 | 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by OutlawFord
Dude, Ur not getting this whole thing...The button is limited, Only works till 35mph tire spin, Then after that you have to hold the button down again. It would be way better if once you held the button down it kept all the TCs off below 35mph untill the key was shut off.
How is a button limited lol. Let me guess the buton is limiting ur button pressin skills like the TC is limiting your wheelspin skills

You dont have to do it twice. This is how it would go. You are about to enter some muddy terrain and you think right i better turn of TC so that i cant have full control of my throttle. So you hold down the button for 5 secs which completty shuts of TC. Now whats the problem with that? Is that 5 secs really gonna ruin your whole day?

Quick Reply: Traction control