2009 - 2014 F-150

Traction control

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 06:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traction control

We are getting a good deal of snow in North Texas right now...

Driving to work this morning the roads weren't really slick unless you went out of your way to find the slick spots ... which I did.

Traction control worked great! Kicked in just as I would expect it to. Here's the deal though, on the way home this evening, the truck felt like it was holding back, almost as if the traction control didn't shut off... does that make sense?

My minimal understanding of traction control is it reduces the power to the drive wheels to stop them from spinning, I supose maybe even applying some braking... I have a limited slip diff. so I assume that locked and then the traction control kicked in... The little squigly tire tracks in the info center came on when it activated and immediately went off once traction was gained again, indicating that it had shut down...

I'm just wondering if I have a problem with the traction control not shutting off... anyone else experience this?

Old 02-11-2010, 08:00 PM
Its working right, but when its real sensitive (TC button not pressed at all) its hard to get thru snow an ice because it kicks on alot..

Old 02-11-2010, 09:08 PM
outlawford you should get your trucked checked. We had 2ft of snow last week and never had one issue with getting to work with TC on. Yeah it come on at times when pulling away from junctions but def didnt stop me from getting where i wanted to go!

Old 02-11-2010, 09:45 PM
Ok billy, Ill get my truck checked because I hate TC and you love it...

Old 02-11-2010, 09:55 PM
I dont love it or hate it. It causes me no issue because i know how to control my throttle. Like 95% of everyone else on the forum can.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by Barritia
I dont love it or hate it. It causes me no issue because i know how to control my throttle. Like 95% of everyone else on the forum can.
Agreed. I have no trouble driving in the snow/ice and I never turn the TC off.

It sounds like some people are still stuck in the mindset that unless your tires are spinning you aren't getting anywhere. When in fact the opposite is true. Spinning wheels does not equal traction when it comes to snow/ice.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by JRVicHammer
Agreed. I have no trouble driving in the snow/ice and I never turn the TC off.

It sounds like some people are still stuck in the mindset that unless your tires are spinning you aren't getting anywhere. When in fact the opposite is true. Spinning wheels does not equal traction when it comes to snow/ice.
Momentum is key to getting through soft snow or sand. Used to live on a beach and drove it almost every weekend for years. The worst thing you could do was spin your tires. You would just dig in and be resting on your axles. Used to be funny watching the young guys try it though and they get stuck and we have to pull them out.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:11 AM
The TC wasn't a problem... I only took advantage of the conditions to find out how it works or if it works...

My concern is my truck still felt sluggish after the TC had shut down. This is after the truck sat for several hours in a parking garage. On the way home it just felt like it was holding back... as if the TC hadn't completely shut off...

Unbelievabley, we got about 8 inches of snow, maybe more, yesterday. Maybe I'll take it out and run the TC through it's paces again...

Old 02-12-2010, 09:28 AM
We have been battling TC all winter long at our ranch in South Texas. The wet winter has created lots of mud. TC kills momentum when pulling a trailer thru the gooey spots. Losing momentum leads to stuck trucks when there is a heavy trailer hitched to the back.

OP, mine has not had an issue disengaging. I would think that if yours was still engaged the message center would tell you so.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:27 AM
You need tire spin to keep momentum, Less tire spin the slower you go...

Old 02-12-2010, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by OutlawFord
LMFAO!

I worked at various ski areas in college. Every morning and evening we would have "amateur hour". In total amazement we would sit and gawk at all the tourists spinning their wheels at high speed and going nowhere. Sometimes we would have to send an "advisor" over to inform them they need to stop spinning their wheels if they want to go anywhere.

I've driven in the snow and ice my whole life and the goal is to minimize wheel spin to maximize foreward progress. But it is still fun to watch those who think they need to spin their wheels at 50 mph!

On Thursday night we would have races to the top of the mountain. No wheel spinners ever won that race.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Personally, I'm totally loving the snow in DFW (I live in the Haslet area and we got 11").

I did notice, after traction control had set in, or if I stopped and the tires spun before gaining traction (slowly) that the truck was harder to put in to reverse or park afterwards. I don't know if one had anything to do with the other, but the shifter definately didn't slide back in to Rev or Park as easily as normal.

Seems to be working fine after I restarted the truck though, so who knows if it was related.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:39 PM
[QUOTE=Real;4087445]LMFAO!

I worked at various ski areas in college. Every morning and evening we would have "amateur hour". In total amazement we would sit and gawk at all the tourists spinning their wheels at high speed and going nowhere. Sometimes we would have to send an "advisor" over to inform them they need to stop spinning their wheels if they want to go anywhere.

I've driven in the snow and ice my whole life and the goal is to minimize wheel spin to maximize foreward progress. But it is still fun to watch those who think they need to spin their wheels at 50 mph!

On Thursday night we would have races to the top of the mountain. No wheel spinners ever won that race.[/QUOTE

Ur not getting what im saying son...

Old 02-12-2010, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by sharper4
Personally, I'm totally loving the snow in DFW (I live in the Haslet area and we got 11").

I did notice, after traction control had set in, or if I stopped and the tires spun before gaining traction (slowly) that the truck was harder to put in to reverse or park afterwards. I don't know if one had anything to do with the other, but the shifter definately didn't slide back in to Rev or Park as easily as normal.

Seems to be working fine after I restarted the truck though, so who knows if it was related.
Oh yeah! The snow is awesome!

I didn't have a problem with shifting to reverse or park at any point. I just felt like something was holding the truck back... Almost like I left the emergency brake on or something. Yes, I checked that... Haha.

Oh well it's not often in this area that TC is needed...

Old 02-12-2010, 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by OutlawFord

No you don't need tire spin to give you momentum. It's the opposite. The faster your wheels are spinning in ratio to the speed the less grip you have. Why do you think spinning your wheels when pulling away is a bad thing. It's because you have less traction than when the wheels are not spinning. Thats why TC is a good thing for people who cant drive. It's designed for people who think they know how to drive but they don't.

Quick Reply: Traction control