2009 - 2014 F-150

Inner-Fender Liner/Protection solution?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010 | 10:24 AM
|
Inner-Fender Liner/Protection solution?

Hello all...

I ordered a 2010 FX4 F150...which was built in late January and now en route to the dealer. Scheduled to pick it up end of February.

Question... If I understand correctly, all 2009/2010 F150's do NOT have any inner fenders/liners to protect the engine from mud, grime, etc. (crazy that Ford would do that) Is this accurate? If so, does anyone know if there are any aftermarket solutions that anyone has tried and liked?

Thanks in advance.

Dean

Old 02-14-2010 | 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by rdeananderson
Hello all...

I ordered a 2010 FX4 F150...which was built in late January and now en route to the dealer. Scheduled to pick it up end of February.
Congratulations!
Question... If I understand correctly, all 2009/2010 F150's do NOT have any inner fenders/liners to protect the engine from mud, grime, etc. (crazy that Ford would do that) Is this accurate? If so, does anyone know if there are any aftermarket solutions that anyone has tried and liked?

Thanks in advance.

Dean
Dean, there are definitely fender liners to protect the engine but there is a cut-out to allow front suspension movement that is about 6"x12" large. This leaves a hole on the side of the fender liners where dirt and water can splash on the block. I don't see it as a problem but it would be cool if there was a way to shield it better. But it's nothing to really worry about.

Probably more useful would be thin, galvinized panels stamped from sheet steel to fair out the bottom of the truck. Of course the open design is better for deep water and more advanced off-roading.

Old 02-14-2010 | 07:00 PM
|
Real,

Thanks brother ! Much appreciate the information...

...now the wait.

Dean

Old 02-15-2010 | 11:35 AM
Well, you could simply get a piece of thick rubber and have it riveted onto the inner fenders to close the gap and allow you to bend it around the fender to keep the suspension travel. Lots of old muscle cars (corvettes, etc) used this method. Most of them have a cut or two in the material at the bottom to allow the full travel of the suspension and still cover the hole.

Quick Reply: Inner-Fender Liner/Protection solution?