2009 - 2014 F-150

TPMS sensors in 2010 F150...How to Install, What do I need?...Help...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 12:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TPMS sensors in 2010 F150...How to Install, What do I need?...Help...

Hey Guys, I have purchased a set of aftermarket wheels and tires to run in the summer time for my 2010 F150 FX4 and I need to know what all I need to reinstall the TPMS sensors? I am going to buy a new set of sensors and leave the other ones in my stock 20's that came with the truck because I am running that set in the winter. I can buy a set of the sensors but I don't know how they go on because they are the valve stem type but I would think there should be something else to hold them on the wheel besides just screwing on the valve stem? Hopefully somebody with an 09-10 has dealt with this because I know that they have different sensors than the 04-08's do and I want to make sure I get everything and also wanted to know if there is a way to get chrome valve stems? Any help would be appreciated.

The wheels are 20x9 Ballistic Wizards and the tires are BF Goodrich All Terrains that will be going on the truck if that info is needed.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:49 PM
I just had a set mounted yesterday akuza wheels and 275/60/20's the wheels had 2 valve stem holes on them one on the outside for the air valve and one on the inside for the sensors.I got the sensors from driven products ask for john he is really helpful .also ask him for an extra set of chrome valve stems.whoever mounts your tires will install the sensors.I havn't driven mine yet to see if they get picked up by the truck computer sometimes they do and sometimes they don't.Good luck

Old 02-20-2010, 07:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did the same thing with my '09 with great success.

I bought a set of sensors with valve stems from a good vendor on eBay.
You must use new valve stems specifically for the sensors from Ford. The vendor I bought from had the sensors, and also sold them with NEW valve stems to match. The valve stems can only be used once.

Before I go any further, here is a pic of the stem & sensor installed together:

Ok - the sensor and stem are separate when you get them, and also come with 4 screws. The sensor screws on to the stem - hard to see, but look under the brass part of the stem - that brass part sits down into the sensor, and the screw goes in from below.

Once this is assembled, you simply install the stem into the wheel like a normal stem (I am using '07 Lariat 18" wheels). It's a good idea to use something like a small block of wood under the stem pulling tool so you are pulling the stem through the wheel straight.

Then all is left, is once you have the wheels installed, use the Ford TPMS training tool to train the sensors to your truck computer (also bought on ebay). The instructions for training the sensors is in your manual.

If you have any questions, just let me know.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you purchase the kits, the come with both sensor and valve stem, already attached. That is what I did from Tasca. Then when I swapped to my winter tires, just retrained the system. Takes all of 2 minutes and the procedure is listed in the owners manual. Even from the dealer, you can get the reset tool for about $25.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:31 AM
Hey JOHNWSC do you have the contact info for John at Driven Products? Do they have a website and are the chrome valve stems like a cap that goes over the black valve stems or are they actually a new valve stem that is chrome? Thanks guys

Cody

Old 02-22-2010, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by SlvrBrute
Hey JOHNWSC do you have the contact info for John at Driven Products? Do they have a website and are the chrome valve stems like a cap that goes over the black valve stems or are they actually a new valve stem that is chrome? Thanks guys

Cody
Cody,
the # is 206-462-1257 you gan google it driven products llc in kent WA.His name is John.The valve stems that came witn the sensors are aluminum pretty close to chrome and the other ones are just a stem w/a cover and a chrome cap.I think it looks great.good luck

Old 02-22-2010, 02:59 PM
Thanks John, I will give him a call. Do you have any pics of your wheels so I can see what the valve stems look like with your wheels? And the base part of the tpms doesn't stick to the wheel or anything?

Cody

Old 02-22-2010, 09:04 PM
hey can i take the sensors off my OEM 18's from my 2009 and put them on my OEM 20's from my 2007 (i would be running the '07 wheels on my '09 lariat)? will i need to retrain them or will they be good to go? TPMS is just a pain in the @ss to deal with!!!! thank you!

Old 02-23-2010, 07:28 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wisconsinFX4
hey can i take the sensors off my OEM 18's from my 2009 and put them on my OEM 20's from my 2007 (i would be running the '07 wheels on my '09 lariat)? will i need to retrain them or will they be good to go? TPMS is just a pain in the @ss to deal with!!!! thank you!
Yes you can put the 09 sensors on the 07 wheels. You will need a set of the valve stems and put those on the 07 wheels. Then attache the sensors to the valve stem. I assume you have removed the sensors from the 07 wheels. If you use the old 09 sensors on the new wheels, you should not have to retrain the system, as long as you have not used a different set of sensors and retrained the system to those. However, if I were you, I would get a retrain tool anyhow. I have had to use mine twice beyond when I swap sets of wheels, just because of temperature drop.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by SlvrBrute
Thanks John, I will give him a call. Do you have any pics of your wheels so I can see what the valve stems look like with your wheels? And the base part of the tpms doesn't stick to the wheel or anything?

Cody
Cody,
Sorry I don't have any pics.Sorry I'm a lowtech redneck.But,someday I will get them posted. As soon as the weather breaks.The base of the tpms is connected to the stem itself not to the wheel.Sorry it took so long to get to youI had my email notifications set to weekly not instant
John

Old 03-01-2010, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by kingfish51
Yes you can put the 09 sensors on the 07 wheels. You will need a set of the valve stems and put those on the 07 wheels. Then attache the sensors to the valve stem. I assume you have removed the sensors from the 07 wheels. If you use the old 09 sensors on the new wheels, you should not have to retrain the system, as long as you have not used a different set of sensors and retrained the system to those. However, if I were you, I would get a retrain tool anyhow. I have had to use mine twice beyond when I swap sets of wheels, just because of temperature drop.
Thanks kingfish, i will probably be getting a hold of you again once i decide to get new tires for the 07 wheels.....

Quick Reply: TPMS sensors in 2010 F150...How to Install, What do I need?...Help...