2009 - 2014 F-150

Factory Ford fender flares

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 07:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I mounted my factory flares today. I used tape and drilled the four holes per wheel in the inside lip. Works great.

First you will need 4 rolls of this stuff.

Remove ALL the clips on the flair. Remove the 4 threaded clips on the fronts as well. Clean the mounts where the clips were with alcohol or whatever. I used brake clean. Cut tape in approx 2" strips. attach 1 strip to each mount. There's a lot of them and you will use more than 3 rolls of tape. Peel backing off and attach a second strip to the first strip on each mount. So you have 2 layers. You'll have to remove 1 push pin on the front wheel openings and 2 bolts on the rears. Clean the side of the truck with alcohol or something. Again I used brake clean. Test fit the flares. Get a feel for how they go on. You'll only get 1 chance to stick them on. I used the push pin to help line them up when I attached them. When you are ready peel all the backing off the tape. Warm the side of the truck with a heat gun or hair dryer. Warm the tape a little as well. I pushed the push pin in and carefully brought the flare into position. When I was sure it was good then I pressed it in place firmly and it was stuck. That tape is very strong. Then I drilled the holes for the plastic push pins around the lip. I painted the holes with touch up paint and when the paint dried I covered the pushpins with clear silicone and shoved them in. Works 100% plus if they fall off I still have the option to drill 40 or so holes in my truck. The rears take a little more finesse to get right but try them once or twice before you peel the backing off.

Oh and don't be shy about pressing the flares good and hard.

Last edited by bluetoy; 03-06-2010 at 09:46 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by bluetoy
I mounted my factory flares today. I used tape and drilled the four holes per wheel in the inside lip. Works great.
I'm glad that worked for you, I plan on doing the same thing. I put stuff on my Mustang with 3M tape and nothing every budged! I will post my install results as well. Waiting on flares to arrive.....

Old 03-06-2010, 08:21 PM

First you will need 4 rolls of this stuff.

Remove ALL the clips on the flair. Remove the 4 threaded clips on the fronts as well. Clean the mounts where the clips were with alcohol or whatever. I used brake clean. Cut tape in approx 2" strips. attach 1 strip to each mount. There's a lot of them and you will use more than 3 rolls of tape. Peel backing off and attach a second strip to the first strip on each mount. So you have 2 layers. You'll have to remove 1 push pin on the front wheel openings and 2 bolts on the rears. Clean the side of the truck with alcohol or something. Again I used brake clean. Test fit the flares. Get a feel for how they go on. You'll only get 1 chance to stick them on. I used the push pin to help line them up when I attached them. When you are ready peel all the backing off the tape. Warm the side of the truck with a heat gun or hair dryer. Warm the tape a little as well. I pushed the push pin in and carefully brought the flare into position. When I was sure it was good then I pressed it in place firmly and it was stuck. That tape is very strong. Then I drilled the holes for the plastic push pins around the lip. I painted the holes with touch up paint and when the paint dried I covered the pushpins with clear silicone and shoved them in. Works 100% plus if they fall off I still have the option to drill 40 or so holes in my truck. The rears take a little more finesse to get right but try them once or twice before you peel the backing off.
Any chance of seeing some pics?

Old 03-06-2010, 08:21 PM
Bluetoy-- I think what you did is great,but you should have opted for some good 3m automotive doublesided tape,that Lepage tape is not in the same league.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:36 PM
bluetoy...what did you do about the little tabs on the outside of the flares? they're on the edge that goes up against the fender.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by BrainDonor
bluetoy...what did you do about the little tabs on the outside of the flares? they're on the edge that goes up against the fender.

They fit in the body line of the truck. I'll get a pic tomorrow

Last edited by bluetoy; 03-06-2010 at 09:40 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by Toolcrib
Bluetoy-- I think what you did is great,but you should have opted for some good 3m automotive doublesided tape,that Lepage tape is not in the same league.
Agreed. But the amount of mounting tabs means there is plenty of tape holding it on. It's also waterproof, high strength and good to -40 C. Not just the usual 2 sided foam tape. $6 for a 5 ft roll. Once I stuck them on I could not pull them off. I tried the first one to make sure it was going to stay. Now for the test of time and the remnants of winter.

Sorry no installation pics but I'll snap an after pic.

Here's the specs of the tape.

LePage® No More Nails® Mounting Tape
#
A super strong, multi-purpose, double-sided mounting tape ideal for clean and fast mounting and fixes indoors or outdoors.
#
Super Strong, holds up to 5 kg (11 lbs.) per 15cm (6 in.); great for flat objects.
#
Adheres to wood, metal, glass, concrete, ceramics and many plastics.
#
Suitable for areas with extreme temperatures ranging from -40°C to 120°C.
#
Waterproof.

Last edited by bluetoy; 03-06-2010 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:54 PM
They fit in the body line of the truck. I'll get a pic tomorrow
cool, thanks!

Old 03-07-2010, 07:15 AM
Here's the after pics.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:42 AM
excellent...thank you!

Old 03-09-2010, 04:12 PM
I just got mine in today (Royal Red), ordered the push pins from TASCA, just need to find a source for the 3M tape. Any tips for getting the original pins (all 100 of them ) out of the flares?

Old 03-09-2010, 04:44 PM
Wow, that looks great BlueToy! I always thought that the OEM flares really added something to these trucks. They look kinda' cheap without them. They make the truck look beefier, but in an understated sort of way.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by nole_trainer
I just got mine in today (Royal Red), ordered the push pins from TASCA, just need to find a source for the 3M tape. Any tips for getting the original pins (all 100 of them ) out of the flares?
They slide out once you release the little tabs that lock them into the flair.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:09 PM
Nice job, Bluetoy. Post a picture farther away with the truck as a whole.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:48 AM
Okay here's before and after pics.

Quick Reply: Factory Ford fender flares