2009 - 2014 F-150

Additional warranties for new truck???

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 10:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Additional warranties for new truck???

I assume when I go in to pick up the new truck they will try to see additional warranties. At least of manufactures/dealers have.

Whats the good, bad and ugly on these?

Anything worthwhile?

Thanks,

ks

Old 02-28-2010, 10:50 PM
After reading the fine print on my extended warranty I'll never buy one again. it states that all schedualed maintenance must be done or their warrany does not apply. After market parts may void them. Reciepts for any work done to prove you took care of it.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:59 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ksks
I assume when I go in to pick up the new truck they will try to see additional warranties. At least of manufactures/dealers have.

Anything worthwhile?

Thanks,

ks
Understand that the F&I guys get a big kick back from selling warranties on top of new vehicles.

But, if you're going to get one, get a Ford ESP only. Avoid the aftermarket companies like the plague.

Originally Posted by 02fx4crew
After reading the fine print on my extended warranty I'll never buy one again. it states that all schedualed maintenance must be done or their warrany does not apply. After market parts may void them. Reciepts for any work done to prove you took care of it.
Don't buy crappy shady *** warranties and you won't have this problem.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:00 AM
Research the Ford warranties online. You can decide on coverage levels and pricing. That way, the dealer won't screw you. If you have a printout and they won't beat or match the price, just buy it online. That's what I did.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:51 PM

Anything worthwhile?

Thanks,

ks
You have 12 months or 12,000 miles before you have to purchase an extended warranty. Wait as long as you can. I waited 11 months before i bought mine. It was cheaper and it extends the purchased warranty.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by aliasmax
You have 12 months or 12,000 miles before you have to purchase an extended warranty. Wait as long as you can. I waited 11 months before i bought mine. It was cheaper and it extends the purchased warranty.
Don't you have the a full 36 months/36000 miles to purchase the ESP? I believe buying one during the first 12 month/12000 miles saves you the admin fee (about $100) that you have to pay when adding the ESP after the first year (months 13-36).

Old 03-01-2010, 04:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...ended+warranty

If you decide to get one, this is the least expensive place I have found: http://www.fordwarrantys.com

Old 03-01-2010, 04:12 PM

I have bought my warranties from my credit union for years, on the last 5 vehicles. I have never had an issue with them and it is a much better warranty then from Ford. It is from Mercury Insurance Group. It is for 6yrs, 100kmiles, and the Platium package which is almost bumper to bumper with no deductable, plus rental. You can take to any mechanic, they pay for the repairs by credit card. Each one I have gotten and used has paid for itself at least 3 fold. I have even had a dealer tell me it was the best after market warranty he has dealt with, and that was the first time he had used them was when he worked on my last truck. The best part is the dealer cost was about $1900, the credit union cost was $1250.

Last edited by tbraquet; 03-01-2010 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:37 PM
Anyone know if you can cancel a extended warranty? I'm about a year into my 3 year, 36000 mile one and think it was a waste of money.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:52 PM

Anything worthwhile?

Thanks,

ks
the jokes on the customer....

I have been talking to people for years about extended warranties and the answer is today as it was back then is no, never. and here is why.

Extended warranties, both from the manufacturer and after market companies, provide specific line item coverage,
if a coverd part fails and causes a non coverd part to fail, they pay for the coverd part. and if a non coverd part causes a coverd part to fail. they will pay for neither.

secondly parts and labor prices, some companies will not pay for new factory parts but only re-manufactured parts, and will only pay a certain percentage of the labor rate and the labor time. In most cases leaving you to foot the bill on top of your hundred dollar deductable.

If you must have an extended warranty, take the 2500 cash you would have spent on the coverage what little bit there is. and throw it into a cd untill your factory warranty expires. then you have enough to cover most repairs you might have to make ... just my .02

if you want to cancel your current extended warranty, you need a leterof intent and an odometer statement, and you should be refunded a prorated percent of purchase price. good luck

Last edited by dirtyd09stx; 03-01-2010 at 04:55 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by 06xlt4x4
Anyone know if you can cancel a extended warranty? I'm about a year into my 3 year, 36000 mile one and think it was a waste of money.
I know with mine if I have not used it I can. Also if I never use it for the length of the warranty period (in my case 6yrs or 100k miles) I can get a full refund.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:41 PM

I got an extended bumper to bumper warranty on mine for 2k, covers everything except things like bulbs, wiperblades and cosmetic stuff. And i dont pay labor or a deductible.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by ruffn-it
I got an extended bumper to bumper warranty on mine for 2k, covers everything except things like bulbs, wiperblades and cosmetic stuff. And i dont pay labor or a deductible.
Is it a Ford ESP? If so, you might have paid too much.

I got my 7/100k premium care for a little over $1100.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by shotgunz
Is it a Ford ESP? If so, you might have paid too much.

I got my 7/100k premium care for a little over $1100.
My dealer told me Ford does not offer any plan that has a no deductable. That is why I always get one from my credit union. So I would guess "ruffn-it" got his from a non-Ford place.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by tbraquet
My dealer told me Ford does not offer any plan that has a no deductable. That is why I always get one from my credit union. So I would guess "ruffn-it" got his from a non-Ford place.
Good point. I missed the no deductible part.

Quick Reply: Additional warranties for new truck???