2009 - 2014 F-150

what phone for SYNC ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 07:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question what phone for SYNC ?

I am geting a new 2010 F150 in a few days. I also need a new phone. My question is what phone will work best with my new truck. I was thinking of geting a iphone but how well will it work with the SYNC ?

Thanks

Old 03-02-2010, 08:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lots of issues with the iPhone. Check out syncmyride.com, owner-to-owner forums.

Here's a list of phones from the site.

http://www.nsapp.fordtechservice.dea...N_iop_1_30.pdf

Old 03-02-2010, 08:05 PM
I have had no issue with my iPhone, and the Bluetooth steaming audio has been great

Old 03-02-2010, 08:38 PM
My Blackberry Curve connects every time and stays connected, my last phone a Samsung would not stay connected.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:14 PM
gp
you bought the best truck so get the best phone,iphone.had no problems at all with mine.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:38 PM
My truck is ordered and hasn't come in yet, so can someone confirm that I can use the usb out to charge my iPhone.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:07 AM
Yes it should. Please read the posts and links below.

http://boards.synccommunity.com/n/pf...yncmb&tid=1987

If your device has been updated to Apple firmware version 3.1 (or greater), then you will experience an INDEXING concern which may limit functionality of the device with SYNC, including longer indexing times (e.g., 30 minutes). Note: Earlier versions of the iPhone firmware are not affected. The Ford SYNC Team is aware and has been in communication with the Apple team regarding the concern. We will post an updated response once more information is known. We appreciate your patience and would like to offer the following recommendations for continued usage of SYNC and your device:

-Use the AutoPlay feature. SYNC will still playback content on the device that is on the "Now Playing" list of the device. Media control will be limited to the Play, Pause, Next and Previous Track.
-If the device supports Bluetooth Audio, connect to the device with SYNC BT Audio/Media Stream. Media control will be limited to Play, Pause, but can also be controlled directly on the device.
-Use the Line In input to connect to the device headphone audio jack. The media will need to be controlled on the device directly.
-Transfer unprotected contents to a USB flash drive. SYNC supports playback with full media control of iTunes formatted unprotected media.
-Allow some additional time for the device to index.

If you have any additional questions, you may also contact our SYNC Support team via chat, e-mail, or phone. Thanks.

http://boards.synccommunity.com/n/pf...yncmb&tid=1548

These are the first 3 out of 36:

For some reason OS 3.1 is always "indexing". Whenever I try to execute a command to play some artist or album, it tells me its indexing. I reset the Sync software, I turn on and off my phone, no dice.

3.1 screwed things up royally for me as well. It takes well over an hour to index, and if I unplug it or shut the car off at any point after it finishes the index, well.... It indexes all over again. The other little bug is that it only indexes a small portion of my Ipod Touch, and after a few times of requesting songs, it will start skipping though songs witout playing them. Just starts moving forward. Really annoying, Hopefully Microsoft will have an update out very soon.

Needless to say, Sync and iPhone haven't gotten along terribly well since the get go, and iPhone OS 3.1 makes sync even more useless to iPhone users.. What I think I have the most trouble with is that Ford, Microsoft and Apple haven't been able to make things work, but Apple has added support to the SDK since iPhone OS 3.0 to have hardware device control through an app, that hasn't been taken advantage of to fix these problems. Why not have a Sync App for iPhone / Touch that interfaces with Sync however the Sync engineers see fit. Push text messages or even emails to the system via the app, not have endless indexing of music, make the bluetooth audio reliable, etc. See link: http://developer.apple.com/iphone/pr...cessories.html "With iPhone SDK 3.0, you can also create your own custom protocols to exchange data and commands with your app through the 30 pin dock connector, or wirelessly over Bluetooth." Blaming iPhone for bad support is A MOOT POINT if the audio still pops every 30 seconds over BT, if it takes 30 minutes to index each time, in call sound quality is garbage, and text messaging isn't supported. The tools to fix these problems exist, so let's see them put to use!

Old 03-03-2010, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by gp
you bought the best truck so get the best phone,iphone.had no problems at all with mine.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:59 PM
The USB will charge the phone with the key on only

Old 03-03-2010, 10:16 PM
I have 2009 KR and iPhone 3GS. Love them both! Only problem I have experienced is sometimes the iPhone gets confused between Bluetooth Audio and USB then stops playing through the speakers until you manually select on the phone. You can charge the iPhone with the USB while the truck is on. Would have been nice for Ford to include another USB connection inside the center console. No indexing problems ever and I have 32 GB phone. Not sure what shotgunz is talking about. Have not had that problem. In fact, you can plug a USB powered harddrive into the truck and it will work like iTunes.

Last edited by troyf150; 03-03-2010 at 10:20 PM. Reason: additional comment
Old 03-04-2010, 06:11 AM
Originally Posted by troyf150
I have 2009 KR and iPhone 3GS. Love them both! Only problem I have experienced is sometimes the iPhone gets confused between Bluetooth Audio and USB then stops playing through the speakers until you manually select on the phone. You can charge the iPhone with the USB while the truck is on. Would have been nice for Ford to include another USB connection inside the center console. No indexing problems ever and I have 32 GB phone. Not sure what shotgunz is talking about. Have not had that problem. In fact, you can plug a USB powered harddrive into the truck and it will work like iTunes.
There is another USB port, but you have to run your own cable. Here's the mod to put it in the glove compartment:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...o-console.html

The issues I posted above are from syncmyride.com (other owner posts). I'm guessing you have v2.1 and an older iPhone OS. 2010s will come with v3.1 and the new iPhone OS will be 3.xx - this is where the problems seem to start.

BTW, I really don't care if he gets an iPhone or not and I'm not pushing one or the other - I have a Palm Treo 700WX and it works like a champ (using Jetware Mobile BT stack).

Old 03-04-2010, 07:09 AM
I use my Blackberry bold 9700, no problems.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:12 AM
Originally Posted by gp
you bought the best truck so get the best phone,iphone
Naw, save your money so you can buy a nice drop-top roadster to go WITH the best truck.

Used to have a Palm Treo 700p but tired of Sprint's mucho bucks for lousy service, fees and taxes (although I still keep it for my Palm database). If you're just looking for a phone, my Samsung T301 with Tracfone ($25) works great with the Sync. Just get a 8GB flashdrive for the tunes.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:17 AM
My Iphone works great but I use the flash drive for music not my phone

Old 03-04-2010, 11:37 AM
Had a WM 6.1 phone - bluetooth worked flawlessly with Sync (go figure - both are MS creations)
Switched to an Android phone - bluetooth isn't so flawless but it does work when a connection is made and bluetooth streaming works well too.

Quick Reply: what phone for SYNC ?