2009 - 2014 F-150

Are straight pipes bad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 09:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are straight pipes bad?

I have had a magna flow on since i bought my truck and i installed it myself right when i got it. However, today i decided to take it off because it has been bothering me forever that i put one end of the exhaust pipe in the muffler and the other side not so much, it hasn't been as solid as I like it to be to keep my mind off it, but it is fine for now and looks great.
Getting to the point, I wanted to see how my truck sounded without the exhaust and to be honest I felt it sounded really nice . It might sound a little obnoxious, some people say but it sounds like a real 5.4 v-8 should sound like.
- Question is: is it bad for undercarriage and such to remove everything except the cat and also if i got pulled over which im guessing i wont, what will my ticket be? Just a fix it ticket, just 30 days to put one on?

Thanks for the help!

Old 03-02-2010, 09:25 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I'm don't think here in Texas or any other state that it would pass inspection, also doesn't having a muffler have something to do with back pressure and performance, where as straight pipes would not have back pressure. Perhaps one of the more motor heads will have a good answer.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by tbraquet
I'm don't think here in Texas or any other state that it would pass inspection, also doesn't having a muffler have something to do with back pressure and performance, where as straight pipes would not have back pressure. Perhaps one of the more motor heads will have a good answer.
Yeah, Ive read that in a few places but im not sure if you only need back pressure if you don't have a cat

Old 03-03-2010, 12:35 AM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
If you want to run with straight pipe, I'd bridge it with a piece of pipe and run it out the stock tailpipe.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:01 AM
Originally Posted by tbraquet
Off topic... But nice 2wd!!! Sharp

Old 03-03-2010, 02:43 AM
Originally Posted by glc
If you want to run with straight pipe, I'd bridge it with a piece of pipe and run it out the stock tailpipe.
Is there a reason for doing it like this or is this just what you would do?

Old 03-03-2010, 12:11 PM
On my 99 i took the muffler out when i was on the road. Hit a retread, dented it good. had it removed with a pipe welded in, sounded great.. not too loud in cab at all. was a little louder driving around . but i was never looked at twice by any law enforcement.

highway driving was still pleasant.

I would never take everything out. and i have been in trucks where the drone in cab was almost unbearable. like all the 'sound' was in the muffler right below you. where the straight pipes sound went out the back? if that makes sense.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:58 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Dumping under the vehicle causes in-cab drone and sucks exhaust fumes into the cab. It also coats the underside with soot.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:43 PM
If you leave the cats on then no big deal, it sounds good, and the cats should give you plenty of back pressure. You CAN remove the cats if you want it to sound even more mean, but there is more work involved in making it work correctly. Even though the AFTER CAT O2 sensors don't determine how rich or lean the engine will run, many newer vehicles will default to running overly rich when any sort of O2 code is thrown and you can expect a whopping 2-6mpg. This is true for my 2001 land rover with straights and on my 2002 ram with straights. You can trick the computer into not throwing a code sometimes by using Spark plug non foulers, google it. Also there are a few companies that make O2 simulators to prevent codes from being thrown. Personally, the most I would do to a new vehicle with a warranty is just remove the muffler, but to each his own. Hope that helps a little bit haha.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:39 PM
cats will give you plenty off backpressure. and mangaflows im pretty sure are straight thru mufflers, so they aint helpin your backpressure none. straights wont make it no worse then them. but they do sound great. i did the same thing to my truck you did to yours

Quick Reply: Are straight pipes bad?