2009 - 2014 F-150

Transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 12:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ive got an '09 & im wondering when does this hard shift happen? its fine when im cruising but if i get on it the truck seems to take a while to shift into the next gear & when it does it's kinda rough.. should i have it looked at or am i just being paranoid reading this forum?

Old 03-09-2010, 01:01 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by foxracer2759
ive got an '09 & im wondering when does this hard shift happen? its fine when im cruising but if i get on it the truck seems to take a while to shift into the next gear & when it does it's kinda rough.. should i have it looked at or am i just being paranoid reading this forum?
This is exactly what happens to mine. Also sometimes when I get on it and it down shifts, when the rpm's get to about 5k or 5.5k it feels like all the power just stops and then about a second later it shifts up. Wierd huh.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:04 PM
I noticed it when driving more 'spirited' in the city. I've noticed the 1-2 shift being harsh in the past, had the TSB performed, and now it seems non-existant.

It's not critical you have it done; that choice is for you to decide. When I had the oil changed, the dealer did the TSB at the same time.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:10 PM
what is this "TSB" everyone is saying they are having done & does it cost anything for them to do it?

Old 03-09-2010, 01:45 PM
foxracer and tbraquet,

What you are describing is what my 2010 does. I need to get the flash done. I just don't have all day to sit in the dealership to get it done. Maybe I should find a small town dealer who can get me in and out fast.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:14 PM
how do i go about doing this "flash"? what will this cost?

Old 03-09-2010, 03:31 PM
My 2010 SCrew 3V 5.4L has the same things many of you are describing for all the 200+ miles I've driven it......a harder shift between 1st and 2nd....a little bit of a "catch-up" thunk when I decelerate (not as bad as my 2005 though)...hoping once everything gets "broke in" and well lubricated these little issues resolve themself.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:02 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by racer114
foxracer and tbraquet,

What you are describing is what my 2010 does. I need to get the flash done. I just don't have all day to sit in the dealership to get it done. Maybe I should find a small town dealer who can get me in and out fast.
Same issue here. I need my truck for work and I can not be without a vehicle at all. I live alone and no other vehicle. I may check with my dealer and see if I can get a loaner while they work on mine.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:18 PM
I see you are a fellow Texan. The dealerships in DFW are very busy. I have another vehicle, but it is still an all day ordeal to get one in, get back home, get to work, back to the dealership and back home again. And, that is if they can get to it that same day!

Old 03-10-2010, 09:01 AM
Originally Posted by foxracer2759
how do i go about doing this "flash"? what will this cost?
A TSB or Technical Service Bulletin is an update on current common conditions which may exist, and it tells technicians how to fix the problem. This particular one tells them to "flash" or reprogram the trans because it is electronically controlled. Seeing as how these trucks are no more than a couple years old, they should pretty much all be under warranty still so the dealer should do it for free. It also should not take very long to do.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by sozzy1269
A TSB or Technical Service Bulletin is an update on current common conditions which may exist, and it tells technicians how to fix the problem. This particular one tells them to "flash" or reprogram the trans because it is electronically controlled. Seeing as how these trucks are no more than a couple years old, they should pretty much all be under warranty still so the dealer should do it for free. It also should not take very long to do.
oooooo ok thanks for clarifying that.. ive talked to a dealer here in NY & they've never even heard of it lol

Old 03-11-2010, 10:45 AM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Politely ask the dealer to look up the TSB's that apply to your truck.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:13 AM
Some of you guys are talking about several different issues but I can tell you my issue is the SHUTTER problem does happen on mine. I have the same issue as Randy does. At 30 mph to about 35 or even 38 mph if you barely give it gas going up a slight hill or even on a level surface you get a sudden shutter that shakes the whole truck. I took it to the dealership today and the shop foreman at the Ford dealership rode with me until I got it to start doing the shaking and sure enought it did many times. He ended up calling FORD and they told him to replace the torque converter. They have it on order for next Monday or Tuesday and will have my truck for a couple of days. Some one on one of the discussion boards posted that the dealership they went to for the same issue replaced the torque converter to so I take it the factory told them what to replace also. And he also said that the service manager talked to ford and said there was a tsb coming out in the next week or so for this very issue. If you have this issue believe me you will know it when you feel it. Shakes the whole truck all of a sudden and if you have occupants they will know it too. Ford is aware of the issue from what I understand. Every car or truck has their issues you have to deal with. Just thought I would add this comment... lmao

Last edited by WayneByrom; 03-19-2010 at 01:16 AM.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:46 AM
Loo
I've also experienced that a few times too Wayne. But I'm not sure if I can recreate the shutter when I need to.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:54 AM
The way I get it to do it is by going up a slight incline at 35 mph and just barely give it gas but not enough to make it drop down into a lower gear put keep the speed at least 30 and man it just starts going into seizures. The first thing they tried was to drop the pan and did some cleaning with some of the eletronic parts and do some cleaning but that didnt help. Well good luck. Ya might want to take it to them so that you have it on record you have this issue, they will know abou it if they are a good dealership.

Quick Reply: Transmission issues