2009 - 2014 F-150

Transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 04:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update: I posted elsewhere here about the "catch-up" feeling when stopping. there is a TSB for this and it consists of the slip yoke getting a special lube, a clamp and some other items. They had to back order the package for me so I have to bring it in again when it comes in. I will try to get the TSB number when I pick it up later today.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:26 AM
Interesting thread

I find this thread very interesting. 2010 S/C 4x4, 4.6 with 6 speed. Violent clunk between reverse / drive, drive and reverse, less than 2 weeks old. Been in the shop 6 out of the 13 days I have owned it, in fact still there this morning. FANTASTIC service writer and tech, working hard to fix the issue, working with factory to fix the problem. They flashed the tranny first, made the problem worse. Now replaced the modulator in the tranny, going through the reflash this morning. Keeping my fingers crossed that the issue will be resolved. Never had a problem with how the tranny shifted between gears, BEAUTIFUL TRUCK, without a doubt the best pickup on the market currently.....and I drove them all before pulling the trigger.

Please keep sharing any information that you have, and I will do the same. I love the vehicle, just hate the clunk and any long term issues surrounding it. Rental vehicle is also a 2010 but a super crew. It don't have the issue at all...

First payment out of my account today, kind of a bummer. Thank you in advance for any infomation anyone can share, I sincerely appreciate it!

Last edited by Jakemedic; 03-19-2010 at 07:32 AM.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:36 AM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
there is a TSB for this and it consists of the slip yoke getting a special lube
Ford has had clunking slip yoke issues ever since they started using them. You would think they would have that redesigned by now.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:48 AM
Does anyone know if they fixed this problem in later 2010 models? I had a 2010 Screw XLT built in 7/09 that had all the transmission issues. I just traded it for a Lariat Screw that was built in 2/10. I haven't driven it enough to determine if it too has the issues. I was just thinking that Ford may have fixed it after they found out about it.

Old 03-19-2010, 02:45 PM
I have a Platinum built 2/10 and it does it a little. I notice that it seems to be improving the more I drive it regarding shifts but there is definitely some slack in the drive line. My 2004 Silverado had the same thing and was cured with a similar TSB. Sounds like Ford is on top of it.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:16 PM
Dealer told me today that the truck was still " learning" how i drive. He recommended i don't baby it anymore and just drive it and see it clears up after i put on a few thousand KM.

Not sure if that was the answer i wanted.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:54 AM
Loo
Originally Posted by WayneByrom
The way I get it to do it is by going up a slight incline at 35 mph and just barely give it gas but not enough to make it drop down into a lower gear put keep the speed at least 30 and man it just starts going into seizures. The first thing they tried was to drop the pan and did some cleaning with some of the eletronic parts and do some cleaning but that didnt help. Well good luck. Ya might want to take it to them so that you have it on record you have this issue, they will know abou it if they are a good dealership.
Yeah I noticed if I feather the gas at 30 it will do it. And I did notice even a greater shutter when it happened this one time on a hill. I wasnt sure if I drove over a break in the concrete or if it was the trans shutter. I later drov over the hill the following day and there was no break in the concrete.

I will try and recreate it on purpose next time.

Old 03-20-2010, 06:29 AM
Update: It is back in MY garage!

I got my truck back yesterday from Ford. Did end up pushing the envelope a little on Thursday, I advised them either give me a repaired truck, a check or a new truck.... They came through on Friday afternoon. Replaced the transmission module. The truck shifts smooth, and there is no clunk between drive and reverse!!!! Took her for a drive last night, and was totally satisfied with the repair.... What a nice change! They have had it for 6 days of the 2 weeks I have owned it though......

I really never had shifting issues, just a clunk when shifting into drive or reverse. It was almost like I wasn't at a complete stop, and would get a jolt forward along with a clunk.

My hats off to the sevice department and the service tech. They worked hard with Ford to troubleshoot and fix the repair.

Kind of funny, windy here in Iowa, was backing into the garage last night and heard a STRANGE noise following the repair.... It was an empty beer can rolling down the street. Wifey said I had the strangest look on my face.....

Good news indeed, I can now start buying my accessories instead of worrying about a brand new truck. Will post pictures as soon as it is sunny. A couple of inches of SNOW on the grassy areas this morning, the first day of spring.

I look forward to being a part of the forums and learning about my new ride!

Quick Reply: Transmission issues